FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Games > In game ads... yah, or no...

Does the possibility of even more in game ads in the near future bother you?
Yes
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
No
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
I will not buy games with in game ads.
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
Playing computer games is for retards.
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 14

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

In game ads... yah, or no...  Reply with quote  

Looks like google is going to be getting into the in game ads scene according to the wall street journal.

The Wall Street Journal reports (subscription required) that Google is currently in talks to acquire San Francisco-based in-game ad firm Adscape Media. A deal could be reached as early as next week, the WSJ's sources say.

I'm not overly pissed off at seeing ads in game, but it does bother me somewhat. Your paying for a game... your getting ads shoved down your gullet... with no tangible benefit for you. Sure helps the game developers with added revenue tho.

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:24 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
The.Real.Cast
Obama Lemming Looking for the Cliff

Re: In game ads... yah, or no...  Reply with quote  

Shinare wrote: Your paying for a game...

says you!

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:44 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Personally, I think in-game-ads are borderline subliminal advertising, which is of course illegal. However, its only subliminal in the fact that you generally will not consciously see that blatant billboard for autozone as you speed by it at 200mph, but I'm sure that once you pass it about a thousand times, something gets ingrained into your subconscious.

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:56 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

Subliminal messaging has been proven to be, at most, ridiculously uneffective.

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:12 pm  View user's profile Send private message
MO8IUS
I's L N B !!!!!!! Sheesh!

I don't know if it would be subliminal messaging so much as the reenforcing of what can be referred to as "top of the mind" recollection.
Immediate name recognition and recollection when asked to name companies in a category.

The subliminal part comes in more of a discussion of: Did I decide to shop at AutoZone for that spark plug, because I associate the name now with the fun good feeling of playing my favorite game, or because it was closer than O'Reilly's Auto?

I'm not too tripped up by the inclusion of the ads, because they've basically been there for years already. I think the game industry is just improving the tools to utilize it and market it to interested businesses. And certainly the reverse is also true that companies are potentially looking more at the possibility of finding an appropriate game to market their brand.

For the sake of not rambling I'll stop now Smile

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:57 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
MooseDog
Hay, look over their!

I don't like them. That said, if they're going to do it anyways (which it looks like they are) then they at least need to do it well. The ads should not distract from ANYTHING in the game. Then, once these ads are in place, I think they should lower the price a tad, make more games more affordable for more people. Then I might be ok with it.

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:09 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
nimda
Curator of art Faggory

i'd rather pay more for a game than have in-game ads. it detracts from the realism of the game-play... if i'm walking around in a futuristic environment with mechs and aircraft and whatever, the last thing i wanna see is a fucking billboard for target. Evil or Very Mad

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:44 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
J3ST3R
I'm NSFW

2142 has ADs which I was greatly opposed to but the ads actually fit in quite well, though I do not see them (yet). Others do.

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:44 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: