FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > IRL > Will pr0n decide the fate of Blu-Ray? Goto page Previous  1, 2

Will pr0n decide the fate of Sony's Blu-Ray?
Yes! HD-DVD will win thanks to pr0n!
72%
 72%  [ 8 ]
No! This war will continue on regardless...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Hell I dunno, who needs HD pr0n?
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 11

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

how is that sidestepping, you asked for a data example since VHS and DVD were examples where only video is concerned, I gave you one. (or did you miss the part about floppy disks and CD-ROMS)

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:52 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

you failed to address audio and the format upgrade path question

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:32 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

That has nothing to do with my point. My point is that BR is the better format, and caring about backwards compatibility should not even be a concern.

You can shoot yourself in the foot all day long to ensure that an old format will work in your new player, or you can come out with a completely new technology that blows the doors off of anything there is currently and force people kicking and screaming into the next big thing.

I'm not afraid of change, and yah I have several hundreds of dollars in DVDs, and yah, I got a DVD writer in my computer, but personally, I want something that is great. Not something that is so-so just so I can use my old crap in the same deal.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:38 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
nimda
Curator of art Faggory

why would blu-ray players be so-so if they can read DVDs too? why can't blu-ray players and drives be great AND be able to read dvd's in the process? computer dvd drives can read dvds AND cds... there's an instance of backward compatibility.

forcing people to change isn't a good thing. computer technology is one thing. we kinda know shit is obsolete 6 months after it comes out, but home electronics where people generally buy something and hang on to it till it craps out is another thing.

and this is all coming from the guy who refuses to upgrade to pci-e. take your argument and shove it. Razz

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:40 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Everyone just seems to be falling all over HD-DVD... I like to take the underdog position and argue.

I wont be buying either unless its part of a game console anytime soon. Very Happy Nor do I care less which one "wins". Just son long as they are quick about it.

But to answer your question, why cant BR be great AND be backward compatible... because in order to be backward compatible you are constrained by its limitations. If you start from scratch then you can come up with something completely wonderful and not have to worry about things like that.

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:29 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
detox
Naaaaaah. NaaaaaFLAC.

it's just a freaking lazer... it isn't rocket surgery
SSD
3x Dell U2412 Monitors

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:31 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Bobacus
Gov. Surplus FTW!

Blu Ray can be backwards compatible, in fact I think its LG that made the drive that reads HD, BR and DVD's. I call that close enough to backwards compatible. Even though the HD isnt even up to spec on that drive.

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:54 pm  View user's profile Send private message

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page Previous  1, 2

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: