FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > IRL > Play a instrument? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Do you play a instrument?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 12 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 18

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
J3ST3R
I'm NSFW

I use to play the trumpet but sucked ass at it so I quit. Crying or Very sad

Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:24 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Breaky
Im serios this is pretty fucked up

I played the French Horn, Baritone and Tuba for about 11 years.

Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:36 am  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

Breaky wrote: I played the French Horn, Baritone and Tuba for about 11 years.

Band dork.

Razz

Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:46 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Breaky

Band nerd thank you.

Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:21 am  View user's profile Send private message
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

It was "Band Geek" where I was from, and "Orch Dork"

Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:45 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

I play guitar, bass, harmonica, and the steel guitar.

QuakeJam bishes!
http://www.planetquake.com/quakejam/

Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:10 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Breaky

Off topic somewhat so feel free to move if needed.

I've been thinking about learning how to play guitar. I don't have a schedule that would allow me to take lessons, but I can already read music and have (according to my old instructors) a great ear.

So, given that, what would be a good start for teaching myself to play the guitar? Can anyone recommend a good book or two? I'm not interested in just picking up some tabs and copying dumbed down versions of songs, I'd like to be able to play it correctly and learn the right chords.

Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:43 pm  View user's profile Send private message
[FUKM] ICE COLD
lan party avoiding douche

Tell you the truth any tab book over CDs that you like and want to play will have tabs, music, and the name of the chord. Over time as you learn more and more songs you'll learn what the chords are. And then when you jam with people you'll see what chords they are playing, or be able to ask them, and fill in as needed.

Any "learn how to play" books that I've seen are some what dull and read like: Here is a chord that is in Mary had a little lamb, play that 50 times and you'll know it. If you want to learn scales and stuff yeah they can help with that, but who the fuck wants to learn scales. Smile heh Tab books also, most of them that I've seen anyway, tell you the correct way to tune your guitar for playing said song so that you can learn what chords are better to play with the guitar tuned differently.

As for tabs on the internet, that's where your going to get the dumbed down versions of song, those are what people think the songs sounds like and alot of the time say "here is what I play" and when you play it you can hear it's missing most of the sound the real music has.

More or less what I'm getting at is if you already know music then, IMO, the best way to learn is to just play. And tab BOOKS, not off the internet, not only have music notes but also have tabs and the name of the chords. Most of them that I have anyway.

Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:44 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Killaholic
2173 Posts and still a shitty title!

Look on the net. There is tons of free learn to play stuff.

Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:51 pm  View user's profile Send private message
LightningCrash

Tab books aren't always accurate either. My SRV tab book is off a lot of the time.

But yeah, even a tab site on the internet (Taborama is fine) would be fine to start with.

If you could tell me some of the bands you like I could probably tell you a good, easy song to get started with. (As long as you're not obsessed with Dream Theatre or Steve Vai, good luck learning that)

Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:24 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Breaky

Heheh... no no Dream Theatre or Yngwie Malmsteen or uber shit like that.

I like the older blues rock related stuff. I have realistic expectations about how long it would take to play something well. For me its mostly Beatles or Chuck Berry, the less complicated pieces they have.

Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:46 pm  View user's profile Send private message
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Completely unrelated to my former playing of the violin. I listen to classical music mostly. Next on the list is Techno or pretty much any electronica. After that I like OLD country music. I don't listen to the new stuff because if I wanted to listen to pop music I'd tune to a pop music station not listen to "country".

Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:03 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Ender
Creasey's art is death.

Band Nerd thnx. Trumpet from 7th - 12th. Was good, coulda done college but didnt. Still have it and pick it up from time to time and fart around it. Kinda smells now....

Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:11 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Similar but different question than Breaky's:

I want to start creating my own music and learn to DJ a bit (Trance/Ambient style music). I'm looking at buying some basic gear including a MIDI keyboard. I'm also curious about learning to play the keyboard as a piano. Does anyone have any experience in either of these areas?

Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:26 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Breaky

I used to mess around with computer emulated mix stuff....

You can find a few good Roland 808 emulators, as well as a program called Rebirth or Reverb I think they renamed it to. Fun stuff to play around with mixing.

Also, fasttracker is a good sound sampling/ midi program with a bajillion options to work with doing sampling/ mixing for track based music.

Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:18 am  View user's profile Send private message
Killaholic
2173 Posts and still a shitty title!

Speaking of digital, has anyone played one of the digital guitars that Gibson came out with? I seen it on their website and was curious how well it played and sounded on a amp.

Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:15 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Breaky

Finding decent Lefty electric guitars is the suck.

Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:21 pm  View user's profile Send private message
LightningCrash

Breaky wrote: Heheh... no no Dream Theatre or Yngwie Malmsteen or uber shit like that.

I like the older blues rock related stuff. I have realistic expectations about how long it would take to play something well. For me its mostly Beatles or Chuck Berry, the less complicated pieces they have.

(given that I don't know how much you know about music/guitar/shit, please don't take offense if any of this seems extremely obvious)
Well things like Before You Accuse Me by Clapton and Keep Your Hands to Yourself by Georgia Satellites would be good starters there. They are both basic 24-bar blues progressions and have good solos you can pick up. If you want help with them just give me a shout on IM, or I can tab some of the song out for you and e-mail/post it. For starters if you're going to learn the solos on these songs you need to learn the pentatonic/blues scale. The blues scale is used in like 80% of blues solos and it is really fun to learn, and it really sounds good no matter how you play it.

Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:22 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Breaky

Thanks for the info LC. I'll probably have more questions for you later when I get into things a little more. Before this thread started, I actually had been looking into playing music again and picking up a guitar for the 1st time for about a month or so.

Got any advice for a new buyer? I've been doing a good bit of research on stuff looking for what sort of sound I could get from different guitars and what would fit more into what I was looking at.

Right now I'm interested in purchasing a lefty Telecaster, but it's hard finding a good used one. I can afford a new standard one (probably mexican made tho) I don't really want to spend more than ~$400. I don't want to buy a cheap POS either. I really need something that's gonna keep tune well. I might not have any skills yet, but I do have a good enough ear to tell me when my tune is off.

Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:32 pm  View user's profile Send private message
[FUKM] ICE COLD
lan party avoiding douche

For starters if you're going to learn the solos on these songs you need to learn the pentatonic/blues scale. The blues scale is used in like 80% of blues solos and it is really fun to learn, and it really sounds good no matter how you play it.

Lots of punk music belive it or not uses it also. Just a lot faster. Smile

Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:23 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: