FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > IRL > Snowboarding Goto page 1, 2  Next

Snowboard or Ski
Snowboard
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Ski
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 12

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Killaholic
2173 Posts and still a shitty title!

Snowboarding  Reply with quote  

I am goin snowboarding this thursday. I was wondering who has went.

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:27 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

I ski, only because I am too much of a smacktard to figure out snowboarding/skateboarding. I figure since I nearly killed myself on a skateboard many years ago....snowboarding prolly wouldn't be my thing. Smile

But have fun, I am jealous!

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:30 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Killaholic

Brules wrote: I ski, only because I am too much of a smacktard to figure out snowboarding/skateboarding. I figure since I nearly killed myself on a skateboard many years ago....snowboarding prolly wouldn't be my thing. Smile

But have fun, I am jealous!

I have never been so I figured that either way I will suck, so why not? I can't wait though. I spent way to much money on stuff. Luckly my boss chipped in as a little bouns. Smile

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:33 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Breaky
Im serios this is pretty fucked up

I've only done a tiny bit of either, but snowboarding is waaay easier to me at least. It also doesn't hurt as bad when you wipe out because you can really only fall on your hands or on your ass. Skiing when you wipe out your legs go everywhere and you can get all bent up easy.

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:18 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

Breaky wrote: I've only done a tiny bit of either, but snowboarding is waaay easier to me at least. It also doesn't hurt as bad when you wipe out because you can really only fall on your hands or on your ass. Skiing when you wipe out your legs go everywhere and you can get all bent up easy.

Very good point! Plus skiing is such an unatural position, and puts soooo much stress on your knee/ankle joints that you normaly don't experience.....it can be quite painful! Maybe I will try out some snowboarding next time I go hehehe.

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:20 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
The.Real.Cast
Obama Lemming Looking for the Cliff

never tried a snowboard, but I'm sure its easier than skateboarding, and the falls are certainly going to be less painful. skiing makes me feel like i'm doing the splits, my poor groin -(

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:43 pm  View user's profile Send private message
nimda
Curator of art Faggory

i've only been skiing once, and i picked it up pretty easily, mostly because i was a big rollerblader back in the day. only did the splits once, and i even managed a black on the first day out (first time i had ever ski'ed). i'd like to try snowboarding, but i hear it takes like 2-3 days of constant falling on yer ass to pick it up, unless of course you surf or skateboard. i've been wanting to give snowboarding a shot, but haven't had the funds for a trip lately.

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:35 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Killaholic

nimda wrote: i've only been skiing once, and i picked it up pretty easily, mostly because i was a big rollerblader back in the day. only did the splits once, and i even managed a black on the first day out (first time i had ever ski'ed). i'd like to try snowboarding, but i hear it takes like 2-3 days of constant falling on yer ass to pick it up, unless of course you surf or skateboard. i've been wanting to give snowboarding a shot, but haven't had the funds for a trip lately.

I use to rollarblade and skateboard when I was younger so hopefully it paid off. I don't want to eat a lot of snow.

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:20 pm  View user's profile Send private message
blu
Step on my cubes.

I went skiing a few times a year as a kid. I started snowboarding in high school. Back then, I was pretty good. The first couple of years I was able to go down blacks and the like w/o falling. I didn't go through most of college and then tried it again and it was fucking hard. So, if you are a little kid, go for it. if you are over 20, I would be wary. That's just what I've seen from my personal experience. I was in MUCH better shape back then...Smile

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:58 pm  View user's profile Send private message
MooseDog
Hay, look over their!

For me skiing was more natural, but I picked up snowboarding in a day and a half. I love snowboarding. I won't ski ever again probably. I just enjoy the snowboard way too much.

Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:44 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I have been skiing about 12 or so times and my second to last time out I tried snowboarding. If you have previously skied a few times, it will be difficult to pickup snowboarding as it feels very unnatural. In skiing you face downhill with your torso. In snowboarding you have to keep your torso sideways and turn only your head. Your natural tendency will be to rotate your torso downhill and you will always be turning left.

As for crashing, I put myself through 2-3x as much pain in a single day of snowboarding as any single trip of snowskiing. Falling forward isn't too bad as you can slow your fall with your knees then land on your forearms (never stop your fall with your hands, you'll break your wrists), but when you fall back, you hit your ass, back (my prefered) or your head. After a few hours of falling on your tailbone on frozen packed snow, you will no longer enjoy what you are doing. After cracking the back of your head on solid ice you will go home for the day. I recommend wearing a helmet if you are snowboarding, I wish I had. You will not look nearly as stupid wearing a helmet as you will if you have to go to the hospital because you've cracked your skull open.

If you have never skied or boarded before, I would suggest going boarding. It is said to be alot easier to pickup of the 2 and you can have more enjoyment for your time. If you have skied before, I would serious consider not boarding as you will most liikely have alot more fun skiing than boarding.

Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:55 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Goahed Makemyda
Thursday Night Massacre Host

I've only done cross country skiing, man what a workout! My favorite: Cross country SNOWMOBILING!

Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:58 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Killaholic

lol

Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:19 pm  View user's profile Send private message
nimda
Curator of art Faggory

eddie izzard:
there's only two positions in snowboarding... looking cool and DEAD!

Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:47 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shinobi
Nowhere To be Found!

yea......we don't ski or snowboard......you white people...i swear

Ripping apart SR20DET's sucks...

Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:16 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Killaholic

I think the only sports black people do is Basketball and Football.

Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:01 pm  View user's profile Send private message
nimda
Curator of art Faggory

don't forget track.... cuz they're good at running from the po'lice Mr. Green

Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:23 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

I'm more of the ride the gondola up with a duffel bag of snowballs kind of person.

Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:42 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
MooseDog
Hay, look over their!

You would be. You just cause problems DanMan, you never have fun and enjoy yourself while NOT causing trouble!

Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:46 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Crazyman
pwn3d

Snowboarding is great.. its all I've ever done.
One you find a good stance your comfortable with, find a nice long 'green' to go down.. Like at Keystone they have a 3.5mi green called Schoolmarm. It winds down the entire moutain face.. an awesome rush to go down a mounthain at about 35mph without falling.

Post Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:26 am  View user's profile Send private message

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page 1, 2  Next

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: