FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > Are ATI cards worth the driver headaches?

Are ATI cards worth all the headaches the drivers give?
Yes
65%
 65%  [ 13 ]
No
35%
 35%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 20

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Bungle
I rubbed it with a soft towel...

Are ATI cards worth the driver headaches?  Reply with quote  

I have been thinking about buying a 9600XT. Worth it? Doesnt look like it to me.

Post Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:39 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
HaVoK
spamlinkcount++

I think both NVIDIA and ATI are good cards.. I would use either at any time. NVIDIA has had some issuse recently w/ its drivers also.. not near as bad as the bf issuse though. Right now I am using the 9600 Pro, I have a 128mb fx5200 if I want to build a decent 9.0 compatable system for my wife or if someone asks me to build it (i tried it out.. hell, it was only 50 bucks when I ordered it.. the people apparently had to many in stock or something... awful awful gaming card... worse than a GF2.) Anyways, before that I had a Geforce 2 TI, which I loved.. And before that I had a Diamond Viper v770d (TNT2) which I also loved.. And my first "3d accellerator" was a 4mb Rage 3d.. I have never had problems w/ either company at all. I dont really pick a side, I just buy who ever has a better card cheaper at the time I am getting it.

“Laws are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made,” Otto von Bismarck

Post Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:44 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Adrenaman
pwn3d

I wouldnt even consider an Nvidia card with whats available at the moment. I dont wont to start a flame but I really like ATI at the moment. I havent had any real issues with the drivers. ATI is on a monthly driver update cycle. I have a 9800XT and love it it plays all the games I play flawless.

Post Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:34 pm  View user's profile Send private message
ephil
I freelance in my pants.

I agree with Adrenaman... ATI just does what I want it to do... So, I have gone that route...

Post Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:44 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Unrealized

Love my 9700 pro but driver removal and updating kind of sucks.

Post Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:59 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Evisr8r
Junkie

driver problems are nowhere NEAR what they were in the original radeon days, but i've seen the same damn problems with both cards in the driver department, each will have it's own issues, and i wouldn't really worry about it since you have to deal w/ problems either way.

i got a 9700 and i gotta get those new drivers to test, i'll see if the rule is broken.

Post Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:58 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Damage
Junkie

The latest release of the Nvidia drivers is the first one I've ever had problems. Still though, if I were to buy a new card right now, I'd probably go with ATI even with all the problems I hear about. They're king of the hill right now and I would get one with the hope that eventually they'd get all the bugs worked out.

Post Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:02 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
HaVoK
spamlinkcount++

6 month release cycles... remember that both manufactures were shooting for 6 month release cycles for the next cards.. I would hold off on it for just a while before I bought again.. not because a new card might come out, and you would want that, but because prices will probably drop off atleast a little bit...

“Laws are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made,” Otto von Bismarck

Post Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:06 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

What driver headache? I don't have any more trouble with my ATI drivers on my main rig then I do with my Nvidia drivers on my spare rig.

Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:05 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
[FUKM] ICE COLD
lan party avoiding douche

I don't know what's wrong with my set up. But my 9800XT is a whore on some games. I need to find out what mobo I have. I know it only have 4x AGP, it's a 2.43 Ghz I processor I think, but not for sure what the mobo is off the top of my head and I'm no where near my computer right now. None the less, my 9800XT crashes a lot, but I don't know if it's the vid card or not. I also think one of the fans on my power supply stopped working, that might have something to do with the crashes. But, I don't see how that would just make a game crash back to windows desktop.

Post Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:13 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Adrenaman
pwn3d

Well if one of the fans in your power supply isnt working then you really need to replace it. Most people dont realize that the power supply is actually one of the most important things in your system. That being said dont go cheap on the power supply. I use Enermax power supplies and love them. I also have used Antec and they are really nice too. I would reccommend either one of these brands. Dont get anything less than a 350watt. Also take the time to really educate yourself on all of your system components. Google is your friend for any Technical questions you may have. I have a 9800XT too and it runs flawless. Maybe you dont have proper cooling in your system? How many fans do you have? You should have atleast 1 intake in the front of the case and 1 exhaust. Your power supply acts as an exhaust too, so if one of the fans is out then you definatly can have lock ups because of heat. There are too many variables to consider. Do you have the most current drivers and all the windows updates? What programs do you have running in the system tray and in the background? When was the last time you formated your system? What games are giving you problems?

Post Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:37 am  View user's profile Send private message
Killaholic
2173 Posts and still a shitty title!

I would upgrade to an 8x. I stuck my 5200fx ultra in a friend?s computer to check his. He was 4x. Night and day. 8x slaps 4x around. With a card like that to I would upgrade without thinking twice. Spending 500 on a card and only using half of what the card can do is crazy.

Post Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:23 am  View user's profile Send private message
nimda
Curator of art Faggory

hmm, i guess i need to upgrade my shit as well. i just got the 9600XT, and i can tell a huge difference between my old ti4200 and this on even 4x agp. someone send me money so i can upgrade!! Wink

Post Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:47 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Killaholic

Will a thousand cover it?

Post Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:50 am  View user's profile Send private message
nimda
Curator of art Faggory

i think i could make do with a grand. check or paypal? Cool

Post Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:07 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Killaholic

Pay Pal on my bosses account. You have to explain when he looks at the bill for the month though. LOL

Post Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:08 pm  View user's profile Send private message
nimda
Curator of art Faggory

just tell his it's miscellaneous office supplies.

Post Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:09 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Killaholic

I tried that last month for me. Went over like a terd in a punch bowl.

Post Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:10 pm  View user's profile Send private message
GoodBoy

Killaholic wrote: Went over like a terd in a punch bowl.

LOL

If your pc works decent for now just chill until late next year, august or so. pci-express should be out (new mobo), and already amd's 64bit processor is available in a version for only $200. it will be complete system upgrade time then when pci-express hits... no agp slot.

I got an ATI 9700 pro, and an nvidia 5900Ultra. The 53.03 drivers from nvidia have been great. No problems in any game so far. (and I play alot). The ATI every time I try to use it, I just end up getting pissed off and pull it out a week later ( after loading 2 or 3 driver revisions).

Also several friends who have 9800pro's have various driver problems (more specifically, problems with certain games, usually new games too), as well as dead fans. The stock cooling on ATI is trash. One and a half months and the fan seizes up? The nvidia cards have great stock cooling. The ati has better pixel shader performance. Half-Life 2 played just fine on a 5900 Ultra, but it doesn't come with half-life 2. You decide.

Really the bext thing to do now would be to wait just a bit longer. March/April when newer games will start hitting like Doom3, ut2k4, maybe HL2 (I think it will be late), then see how you current setup plays them, and by then cards like 9800pro's and 5900 Ultras will be under $200 possibly. And new ati/nvidia cards could be out even.

If you just have to buy something now, get a 5900 128mb for $185 (last I saw on pricewatch), or 9600xt for $155. Maybe getting the cheapest is best since a complete system upgrade is coming in about a year for alot of us when those new mobo's hit.

GoodBoy

Post Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:35 am  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: