FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > The LAN Party Itself > Do prizes affect your desire to attend LANs? If not, say why Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do prizes for tourney winners influence your desire to attend the LAN?
Hell yes! I want to win cool stuff! Keep 'em coming.
35%
 35%  [ 10 ]
It's ok, but prizes are not why I attend. I'd come anyway.
46%
 46%  [ 13 ]
I can't come regularly, no matter what prizes are offered.
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
I don't come because I have a complaint, see below.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I would rather play at home on the internet, socializing isn't for me.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No one ever plays my favorite game, so I don't come.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 28

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Goahed Makemyda
Thursday Night Massacre Host

Do prizes affect your desire to attend LANs? If not, say why  Reply with quote  

I can't believe that there are only 20-30 people each month who want to LAN. Even the lure of cool prizes seems to make no difference to sign-up and attendance.

So I want a poll to find out what will make you and your friends come to the OKGG LAN. First vote, then tell us what it is that will make you want to attend the OKGG LAN PArties each month. If NOTHING will make you attend, then why not....we really want to know why there is such low sign-up.

Feel free to be brutally honest!

Post Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:49 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
nimda
Curator of art Faggory

fuck the okgg! i don't come because you guys NEVER play what i wanna play. shogo mobile armor division, now that's my game.

Mr. GreenMr. GreenMr. GreenMr. Green

Post Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:53 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Goahed Makemyda

waaaaaaaaaaaah!

Bring your lil friends and play then biznatch.... Very Happy

Post Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:56 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
nimda
Curator of art Faggory

hehe. Razz

Post Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:58 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Bone
pwn3d

gj monkey nutz  Reply with quote  

Guys, great choice for the tourney prize this month. I think that will boost the attendance. I think new games as prizes should always be a good way to go especially when huge ones come out like D3, HL2, and Duke Nukem 4ever Razz.

Post Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:12 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
J3ST3R
I'm NSFW

Doom 3, it'll be awhile.

HL2, NEVAR!

Duke Nukem 4 Ever, what a joke!

Post Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:17 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
ephil
I freelance in my pants.

The only issue I see with games as prizes is that a lot of people buy these games first day/week... But it is still a cool idea due to being able to hook a friend up or whatever. No matter what you give out though, we will try to make it every month. [As long as there is no work issues...]

Post Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:17 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Goahed Makemyda

We appreciate you guys!

Post Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:51 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Bungle
I rubbed it with a soft towel...

games a splendid idea in my opinion !!!! Twisted Evil

Post Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:11 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Max
If it ain't Over Clocked, it's CRAP!

i'm kinda a combo of #2 and #6

also since i can't make it there before the tourney's start i'm pretty much out of the hardware hunt anyways.

DC, UT2k3.. both are ok and i enjoy playing them here and there, but my main game is Command and Conquer Generals (now Zero Hour expansion). there doesn't seem to be much of anyone there that likes this game.

i missed last month cause i'm a retard. i admit it Embarassed

i guess i feel a little intimidated with a large portion of you guys already knowing each other pretty well. if i could come the whole day that would probly help. dumb i know.

been trying to make up my mind the last couple weeks if i wanted to continue coming after i skipped out last month Sad which is why my name isn't on the list yet. i guess i'll give it another shot Very Happy

Post Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:11 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nimda
Curator of art Faggory

driving shouldn't be an issue.

look at dR.jester and malice, they both drive 3+ hours to come to the most kickass lan in oklahoma. hell, when ice-cold lived in okmulgee (about an hour and forty-five minutes each way), i'd go pick him up and bring him down for the lan, only to take him back on sunday.

Post Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:45 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

max, I'll play some C&C Generals.

Post Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:57 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
detox
Naaaaaah. NaaaaaFLAC.

k_os wrote: driving shouldn't be an issue.

look at dR.jester and malice, they both drive 3+ hours to come to the most kickass lan in oklahoma. hell, when ice-cold lived in okmulgee (about an hour and forty-five minutes each way), i'd go pick him up and bring him down for the lan, only to take him back on sunday.

Dont forget the boys from Durant!

Post Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:25 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Damage
Junkie

I agree that it's a little intimidating. There seems to be like the core group of 10-20 guys that know each other, then there's everyone else. Not that anyone's unfriendly or anything, just that if you don't know anyone there, it's not nearly as much fun. A lot of computer nerd types (myself included) tend to not have the best social skilz.

Most of my gamer friends are still CS whores, so they always find some reason not to come. I may come anyway this month since I'm actually pretty decent at DC and a copy of Halo would be schweet. So in this case, if I do go ahead and sign up, the prize will be a deciding factor. I'm almost always top 3 or so overall in online play, so I'm hoping I'll stand a chance in a tourney.

BTW Progen, I went to school at SWOSU and met most of my gamer buds there. I don't think there are many left from my group, but there were always peeps gaming in the labs at night. You should be able to find some action and possibly LAN party connections there.

Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:51 am  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Hmmmmm my $.02:

The best time to meet and greet and get to know the LAN people is before we kill the lights....When I used to come to the OLP's I RARELY made it there before noon, so I usually got there in the dark. Once the lights are off the gaming begins, and most of the buddy talk ends. I would talk to the guys siting next to me, if they talked Smile , but that was about the extent of it.

Well since I began helping run the OKGG's, I am now FORCED (early bird bastards!) to be there at 9AM SHARP (again you all suck!). So we usually have a good 3 hours with the lights on to hang out and talk while we set up the LAN and our machines. Theres a good # of people who show up at 10am to noon, and we all generally talk smack and hang out till we shut the lights down. In doing the above, I have found that I have met 10x as many of the guys, and it is the BEST way to put names to faces!

If you would like to get to know any of the people who come beter, I would HIGHLY reccomend trying to do the above if possible!!!! It really makes it funer, as your neighbor at the LAN usually tends to talk more when the lights are on and the gaming is at a minimum!

So come early, you guys are more than welcome after 10am! We promise to try to not make fun of your handle...!! Right Goathed! Very Happy

Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:14 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sagz
Jaeger Bomb!

no.... I'll still make fun of ppls handles....

some of my favorites:

Geriatric Weapon (genetic weapon)
Come socks (cosmock)

and now goathead

Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:25 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ephil
I freelance in my pants.

Another tip that I found out at the last LAN was to go outside every now and then... Smokers arnt the evil people you think they are. Smile
Most people don't just stand there smoking without saying a word, so you tend to get to know people pretty well while out there...

See you outside!

Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:54 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
nimda
Curator of art Faggory

mmm, social smoking. i promise to stand downwind of all you non-smokers who want to socialize with us. Wink

Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:41 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

k_os wrote: mmm, social smoking. i promise to stand downwind of all you non-smokers who want to socialize with us. Wink

Nasty bastards!

Smile

Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:58 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Goahed Makemyda

Another thing, wear a name badge and occasionally walk around and strike up conversations with players who aren't actively involved in a game. That's how I meet a lot of players.

The reason 10-20 of us know eachother so well is from coming every month and getting there around 10 and staying til about 1am. We usually have a hell of a hard time leaving after the place is shut down because we keep talking to eachother!

We are always willing to meet and get to know the new guys and ppl we haven't really gotten to know, unlike the old OLP staff, who made it a point to make newbies feel isolated!

The first time I came in 1999, I didn't know anyone but my son! Now I'm a staff member of the OKGG! (Not recommending you go that far thought, unless you like doing a lot of work for free, with the exception of Goodboy that is Shocked)

So mingle, walk around occasionally and harrass ppl and talk to them...you'll make lot's of friends. Also, come as regularly as you can and participate in the tournies. Even if you don't normally play the games used in the tournies, you'll meet people, and lots of times I have discovered that the tourney made me take an interest in games I never play!

I would like to say that our staff, all of them, are a friendly group, if you talk to us, we'll likely become your friends, which may or may not work to your advantage Very Happy .

See you at the next LAN!

Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:04 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: