FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Games > Elite: Dangerous

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

Elite: Dangerous  Reply with quote  

Surprised none of us that are playing (Myself, Digital, Zyxion) have posted about this yet.

Glorious space flight sim that has essentially every single solar system in the Milky Way. Most of the systems that we have actual astronomical data for are rendered as accurately as possible based on that data. Gameplay includes wandering around exploring systems, trading from one system/station another, bounty hunting, and really just about anything you want to do. It's basically a space flight sim sandbox kinda MMO. Gameplay is all in ship at the moment, but they plan on adding FPS elements for ship, station, and planetary functions. Anyway, just wanted to point it out, say it was awesome, and throw in some videos.

Link

Link

Link

Post Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:36 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Zyxion
n00b

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffrN0CVSIm4

Its crack.

Post Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:43 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brules
M F C E O

Oooooo I may have to get this.

7 will be all over it too if it is good!

Post Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:03 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Just peeled myself off of 45 minutes of watching that and YES I WILL PLAY THIS

Post Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:34 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Digitaldreamer7
pwn3d

Tis glorious!

Pop in

Link

and have a blast

Post Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:48 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Sagz
Jaeger Bomb!

I'm playing it. Its fun. Little steep learning curve but not as bad as Eve.

Post Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:19 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I just bought it, not sure when I'll have time to play but it looks too good not to try.

Post Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:23 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Will someone give me a demo of this at the LAN?

Post Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:27 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

I kinda want to play this too but the "steep learning curve" talk is kinda frightening me away...

Post Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:06 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Anreill

Shinare wrote: I kinda want to play this too but the "steep learning curve" talk is kinda frightening me away...

If you've played flight sims before, you're halfway there. Rest is just figuring out the various game systems.

Post Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:27 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Sagz
Jaeger Bomb!

They released a manual that covers a lot of the things that were just guesses in the beginning.

They've stated that in March they will release the "wings" update which will incorporate co-op play and make finding and playing with others in-game possible.

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:17 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
detox
Naaaaaah. NaaaaaFLAC.

Is there a monthly fee with this?
SSD
3x Dell U2412 Monitors

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:51 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Anreill

detox wrote: Is there a monthly fee with this?

Nope, buy to play with pay for cosmetics (ship skins) and the intention of pay for future expansions. Their stated intention right now is to get all the stuff discussed in Kickstarter into the base game. So Wings (fancy grouping stuff), station/ship first person walking around, planetary landings, and a lot of other stuff are planned to be added for free.

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:16 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
C
TheLetterShe

I picked this up a couple days ago, everybody that plays should add me to their friends! Name in game is theletterC.

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:39 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

So how is everyone liking this? Is this just a space flight sim where you do circles in space shooting womp rats in your T-16?

Or is there any real meat to this game ie: exploration, trading, empire building etc?

Post Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:01 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Anreill

Brules wrote: So how is everyone liking this? Is this just a space flight sim where you do circles in space shooting womp rats in your T-16?

Or is there any real meat to this game ie: exploration, trading, empire building etc?

Still playing it regularly.

As to meat.

Yes to exploration. You get paid for finding stuff, based on what it is (Earth likes/black holes pay best) and first person to discover a star/planet/etc has their name permanently attached to it (there are ~4 billion systems, so plenty to go around.)

Yes to trading. Pretty standard go here, buy this, fly here, sell this. Buy/sell vary from place to place and there are also limited availability rare goods that sell for a ton of credits. This is currently the fastest way to make money.

No to empire building. Players don't control space/stations/etc beyond perhaps setting up and continuously pirating people in a certain place (Lave is famous for this.) There are community goals for several things ranging from building a new station (by supplying materials), helping out particular systems, or warfare.

The other two most common activities are bounty hunting and piracy. Bounty hunting involves either pulling ships out of in system FTL travel, scanning ships at a nav beacon, or scanning ships at a mining location inside planetary rings. NPCs have bounties, as do players that have broken laws. Piracy is mostly PVP, you can either pull a hauler out of FTL and threaten them to get them to dump cargo, or you can use cargo hatch limpets to break open their cargo bay (which also works on NPCs) and then sell the goods on the black market. All goods acquired in this way are generally flagged as stolen and will get you fined by any station with a police presence.

Post Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:14 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

So is it a MMO or is it a combo?

Oh and is a joystick a must have?

Post Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:46 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Anreill

Brules wrote: So is it a MMO or is it a combo?

Oh and is a joystick a must have?

C plays with mouse/kb as do a lot of other people. So not necessarily.

It's sort of an MMO, but not exactly? Everybody shares space, market trends and such are the same for everyone and are affected by the actions of others. The interaction itself is instanced though. Basically, when you're in FTL in a system, you're in a local instance that is connected peer to peer with other people in FTL in that same system. When you drop out at a station or belt, you're moved into either a new instance or if someone is already there, an instance running locally to them.

They call the setup islands. FTL is set up as an island of up to 32 players. When you drop out, you either get your own island of up to 32 if you're the first person there, or end up on someone else's island of 32 if they were already there. All of the islands are synced back to the main servers but the host is actually someone's client, not the server itself.

Interstellar travel is separated and instant. You pick a system, spool the drive, and jump. You land near the star in the FTL (Supercruise is the term for it in game) island of the next system and the game gradually populates it with NPCs and connects you to other people in the same system that are also in supercruise. Supercruise is a warp drive system (similar for the most part to the warp drive in Star Trek or an Alcubierre drive.)

When you approach a massive body it forces the drive to slow down and when within 1000km of a location while travelling less than 1000km/s you can drop out at that location, putting you into an island for that location. If you randomly drop out in the middle of nowhere, a new island is created for you and an energy wake is left behind in the supercruise island that other players can drop on.

Post Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:53 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: