FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Games > New OKGG MineCraft Server

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

New OKGG MineCraft Server  Reply with quote  

I can host a minecraft server. I'd like to get donations toward running the server. If you'd like to suggest an MC host, please do so.

If I paid $10 a month toward an MC host would we have enough interest and donations to cover additional costs? Who would donate and how much? Would you be willing to setup a recurring donation via Dowalla or Paypal? What MC host should we use? What plan should we get at the host? What seed should we use?

Last edited by TehDanMan on Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:23 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

What would be the purpose of the server? Persisted builds? How would a paid for hosted server be better than something we do ourselves?

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:26 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Just an option. I have a server up now. PM for address. It is not from some hosted minecraft service.

Still familiarizing myself with running a server, bukkit and all that. FYI, the hosting for this box is $20 a month, and is scalable in that I can always add more ram or cpu if we really get busy enough. I just happen to be setting it up for another purpose but it suits this just as well.

Post Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:08 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

So, I have looked at MC hosting services as well as VPS hosting services. The best deal from a VPS host with good reviews I've found online is a close draw between AWS and Digital Ocean. I personally dislike using AWS because you're never quite sure what you'll be paying at the end of the month if you're not checking your account regularly. I'd much rather stick to a VPS host with loads of ram and cpu. Digital Ocean seems best for an MC server. https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing

I was thinking about getting the 2gig ram, 2cpu core, 40gig storage, 3tb transfer plan. What do you guys think?

Post Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:51 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brules
M F C E O

How much a month? My son and his friends play and he knows how to admin a server.....thought of chipping in since his old host went kaput.....its a good way for him to learn the back end hosting/server admin side.

Post Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:33 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: