FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > IRL > Nexus 7 in dash carputer install Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Nexus 7 in dash carputer install  Reply with quote  

Hey all (sorry for the long post, I hope you bare with it and read it),

I am fed up with waiting on the car audio industry to pull their heads out of their asses and make a double din unit with android 4 or better on it and be responsive as a tablet. So I bought a Nexus 7 the other day, and all the wiring and wiring harness and a double din kit for my car for the install. I really think the only big thing I am lacking is a 4-channel amp to drive my car's speakers from the headphone input from the tablet.

My question to you guys is, anyone have or know of a cheap 4-channel (around 50Wx4 at 4ohms) amp? Its the last piece of the puzzle before I start the install.

I may just purchase this amp and try it out. I realize from the reviews that it really is about half the wattage I'm looking for (I think one said it really was measured out to be about 23W x 4 at 4ohms. But at 3"x3"x2" it would actually fit behind the tablet in the dash! There is also this amp but its a lot bigger and I would have to locate elsewhere and extend wires out to it...

If anyone has anything that would work for me that wouldn't mind parting with it for a cheapass price of around $40 or less, then hit me up! Smile

Things I've purchased so far for the install:
Asus Google Nexus 7" tablet
2 of RCA female to 2 x RCA male adapter (to split stereo headphone out to 4 channels)
stereo headphone male to 2 x RCA male adapter
car stereo wiring harness for my car
Double Din dash kit for my car
12 piece Dash and Trim removal tool set (didn't need but have wanted a set for a while heh)

Things I have yet to purchase:
volume control 2x rca female in to potentiometer out to 2x rca female (this thing)
4-channel amp 50x4 @ 4ohms
8 or 10 gauge "amp install" kit with included wires and fuse holder thingy (probably don't need, will wait to order)
Compatible "car charger" for the Nexus 7

Post Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:19 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Question is are you powering stock speakers or aftermarket speakers? A true 50x4 amp will most likely fry stock speakers........if stock, 25x4 will be more than sufficient.

Post Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:18 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Brules wrote: Question is are you powering stock speakers or aftermarket speakers? A true 50x4 amp will most likely fry stock speakers........if stock, 25x4 will be more than sufficient.

Really? I thought I was being safe with the 50w. They are stock speakers. Maybe I should just go for that mini amp then! Heh

Post Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:24 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Brules wrote: Question is are you powering stock speakers or aftermarket speakers? A true 50x4 amp will most likely fry stock speakers........if stock, 25x4 will be more than sufficient.

Really? I thought I was being safe with the 50w. They are stock speakers. Maybe I should just go for that mini amp then! Heh

Post Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:28 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

They are pretty weak, most aftermarket head units put out a true 25x4 that is more than enough to power any stock speakers. Cheap low cost amps are usually underpowered, but if you get a good amp, at 50 x 4, it could be to powerful.

Post Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:21 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

I ordered that little bitty amp and the RCA volume control this weekend, should be here sometime this week. Will probably get it all set up for testing this weekend. Planning on hooking it all up without modifying the dash and just seeing how it sounds first. Then if its groovy I'll get it all installed up. heh

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:00 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Dry fit was successful. Sounded great! Now I just need to mount it up in the dash. (sorry for my infamous shaky hand blurry pics)

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:49 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Wow thats a mess lol. Good luck cleaning that up lol!

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:33 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

No doubt! the harness and leads to the amp are so long I could probably have the amp live under my seat and route the wires to it. heh

Post Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:59 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Sagz
Jaeger Bomb!

I've got a Nexus 7 as well and love it. Have you rooted it?

Post Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:55 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

I haven't... I rooted and custom recovery'ed my OG Droid Razr because there were some custom ROM's for it that were so much better than the crap motorolla and verizon put on it. I already really like the cleanliness and responsiveness of the GNex7 so I really haven't even wondered about putting a custom ROM on there. Well, except the first few days I had it when you couldn't rotate the home screen even if enabled. But then a new update came out from google that fixed the issue.

Post Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:12 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Sagz
Jaeger Bomb!

Yea I only rooted it. I am running stock ROM cause its pretty peppy

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:18 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Link

Post Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:52 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Looks pretty nice Shin. Can you not just drill a hole in the blank circle where you want the volume knob? Is there a way to force the pad to be in landscape mode? It seems like some apps might prefer portrait and I doubt there is an easy way with your install to rotate the tablet to convince them otherwise.

Post Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:16 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Nice job Shinare, that is way cool man!

Post Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:10 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Sevnn wrote: Looks pretty nice Shin. Can you not just drill a hole in the blank circle where you want the volume knob? Is there a way to force the pad to be in landscape mode? It seems like some apps might prefer portrait and I doubt there is an easy way with your install to rotate the tablet to convince them otherwise.

Thanks! Yah, I bought an app called "Ultimate Rotation Control" that will force rotate apps if they are non-compliant. I got that because when I first got the tablet Google had hard coded the home screen to not rotate no matter what. However, I uninstalled it after Google fixed that problem. I just installed the SiriusXM app today on it and it doesn't rotate like everything else, so I may need to install it again.

The problem with the circle blank is that its not really just a blank, what I was planning on. When I was unable to just pry it out I removed removed that part of the dash. I was barely able to pull out the Air controls (because of their mechanical nature attached to things) enough to see that the "blank" is actually a large chunk of solid plastic in the space of whatever switch was meant to be there. Its like at least an inch thick of plastic clipped and snapped in there securely. Seriously over designed, but must have made things easier somehow. I'd rather the volume knob be there, but I'm not to upset where its at.

Post Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:40 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Brules wrote: Nice job Shinare, that is way cool man!

Thanks!

As soon as I get everything finalized I'm going to make a quick vid of taking out the tablet, how crap is afixed, and how everything is hooked up.

I'm thinking about something like a cabinet door latch that you push the door in and it pops out a little and you can then pull it open. I want to push in the right side of the tablet, it pop out a little, and grab it and pull it out. Thats going to be a whole 'nother level of difficulty, heh.

Post Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:56 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I've seen manufacturers make "blank out plates" like that where it actually includes the housing for whatever switch as there. Then if they need the switch, the knock out center and snap in the guts of the switch. Might be what you are seeing.

Post Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:47 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Two things I wish it did that I don't think it will ever do:

1) Act like any other car deck with bluetooth and let me make and receive calls through my phone using the tablet.

2) Backup camera...

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:12 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Do you really need a backup camera on that cracker box? Smile

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:31 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page 1, 2  Next

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: