FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Games > Artemis - Starship Bridge Simulator Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

Artemis - Starship Bridge Simulator  Reply with quote  

Okay, Links first.

Original website
http://www.artemis.eochu.com/
Steam Greenlight page
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92994708

Link

This thing is a full fledged Star Trek-esque bridge game. It needs a group of people in the same room to play it. I'm not saying we try this this month. But I would love to play this madness/awesomeness with everyone. ...even if I'm on communications or sensors.
FYI, I did buy a license for it. and that License covers one bridge crew.

Post Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:27 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Needs more touchscreens.

Post Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:40 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

wow....I just had a nerdgasm.....

Post Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:07 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

I'm wanting to host a small LAN party evening to give this a try. Anyone interested, please say so when you post.

Post Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:31 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

From looking at their website, I had no idea what the hell it was. Then I watched the video and I have to say that it looks like a blast. I'm game if I can get fit it into my schedule.

Post Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:57 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
jokuel
TK'er

Dude tell me when and where I want to fucking do this.

Post Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:53 pm  View user's profile Send private message
jokuel
TK'er

I am willing you use my house for this. I have a big house out in the country and a big TV. We can set up in my living room.

Post Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:47 am  View user's profile Send private message
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

I have a shit ton of 17" touchscreens....

Post Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:11 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

I call dibs on science officer!

Post Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:12 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Captain, we've entered the nebula. Sensors... indicate the presence of dark bosonz!

Post Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:13 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brules
M F C E O

This whole thread screams:

Post Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:40 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
blu
Step on my cubes.

I mean, I do have this room... 7 72" TVs, 4 stations with 20" monitor and 22" touchscreens, 1 station with 17" touchscreen, 5 stations with 23" monitors and 12" touchscreens...

Last edited by blu on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:47 am  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

What a tease.

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:50 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

So blu, is your place an option or was that you flexing you peen? I think alcohol is an absolute must for this game so it is a natural fit to play at your place.

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:24 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
blu
Step on my cubes.

It kind of depends on how well it would work out. I think it would be pretty bad ass if we could figure out a good way to use it as-is. I can't really risk reconfiguring the room right now since OU is currently teaching a class in it. If someone wants to look into the flexibility of the software side of it, I can give them a more detailed list of what the hardware involved is setup like. I wouldn't want to do it there if we have to do it half assed.

It would need to be a small trustworthy group of us old schoolers, of course, with the amount of equipment that is involved.

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:39 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

Artemis FAQ wrote: Q: What are the system requirements? How good does my computer have to be?

A: Well, I WOULD say that any DirectX 9 computer should be able to run it. BUT, I've had people say now that their old machines 1) have DirectX 9 and 2) can't start my game. That's probably true. My engine assumes some things like 24-bits of color and a 16-bit Z-buffer, plus basic hardware shaders (Shader Model 2.0).

However, finding out if your machine does all that and more is a waste of time. The demo is free and small. Download it and try it. If it doesn't work, then it doesn't work.

I'll say this. My Intel Atom netbook runs the client to the point of starting a game. I can't really give that a full test by myself. But Blu, I have the bridge license. If the comps are a core 2 or better and has windows XP or newer it shouldn't have any difficulties. The systems do need to be on the same LAN, and wired is preferable. And it should go without saying, but it has to be said, we do need administrator access to install and run it properly.

Only other downside I see is Sevnn's alcohol issue (and I get it, and do not doubt it will enhance the experience for some), as OU is a dry campus, and you stated they were using the room for a class. So I assume it IS on campus. Though OU is convenient for me; drive wise.

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:11 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
blu
Step on my cubes.

It is not on campus Smile. It's not the power I am concerned about, everything is powerful and on a gigabit network.

I am more concerned with what could we make use of. The hardware is setup in a specific manner that I don't know if I'm willing to make any alterations to. 7 separate machines driving 7 1920x1080 tvs. 4 computers have 1600x1200 monitor and a 1080x1920 touchscreen in portrait. 5 computers with 1920x1080 landscape monitor and 800x600 touchscreen. 1 with 1920x1200 landscape. 1 with 1280x1024 touchscreen landscape.

Also, what needs to be installed on the machines? I'm not talking about admin access, I'm talking about what are we risking putting on there.

If we go to the trouble of trying to set this up there, it has to be bad ass. I (literally) know all of the parts that go into making a simulation run on that amount of equipment, so I don't take it for granted that another simulation would be written to run on the same hardware setup.

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:34 am  View user's profile Send private message
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

Blu, if it's going to be that much trouble. For the first attempt we'll just keep it low key, and have it at my house or Jokuel's. As awesome as your offer is, that'd give us a chance to configure it once properly (as in trial and error any problems we might run into as none of us have tried anything specifically like this before), and give you a chance to see if it'd be viable at that venue. I know regular individual PC's can run it, and that'd give you a chance to see if you think a second event would be workable with your awesome setup.

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:52 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
blu
Step on my cubes.

Sounds reasonable. I really am up for trying it if we can determine it's worth trying there.

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:58 am  View user's profile Send private message
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I played with the demo last night and it is pretty straight forward. You install the application on each machine, nothing special required other than admin privs. The first machine to launch the application is the server, the one hooked to whatever is going to be the "main" screen. Each client launches the application (the same install supports both client and server btw), enters the server IP and connects. After connecting each client chooses a role to handle.

With the demo I was only able to run helm and weapons, but I did those with the server all on my desktop PC on one monitor. When you launch the application you pick windowed or full screen and from a list of possible resolutions. No support for portrait mode that I saw but it might be possible through other tweaks.

The only concern I have is how the game will handle multiple clients that are the same "person". It is built to handle multiple screens so that each role can have more than 1 view open at a time but I don't know if that has a requirement of being on the same machine or if each role could use more than 1 computer. You mentioned 7 stations so I could see 3 roles getting 1 machine each and 2 roles getting 2 machines. The captain doesn't need a PC but will need to see the "main" screen.

I agree with Drix that the first time (or couple times) should be something more adhoc but I do appreciate that you are open to the idea if we can work it out.

Off topic of location but on the game, there are mods out there so we can play in the Star Trek universe if we want.

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:58 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: