FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Games > Tribes: Ascend Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Brules
M F C E O

Tribes: Ascend  Reply with quote  

http://www.tribesascend.com/

Sevnn - any word on this? They gonna finally make a Tribes game worth crap?

Post Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:15 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I haven't had a chance to play the beta yet. My old friends in the tribes community are very excited though.

Post Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:26 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Video looks pretty cool, looks a lot like OG tribes.......looks like it has the fell of it at least.

I don't get all these games going F2P? How the hell would it make money being F2P?

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:19 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I don't understand F2P either. The game does look and seems to play like OG Tribes though.

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:07 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

Well since Team Fortress 2 seems to be making mountains of cash and barrels of minced seal blubber off the "free to play/pay for stupid shit in game" formula....I guess others are trying to cash in on the formula....

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:21 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

Planetside 2 is going to be F2P as well........I guess if you are NOT WOW, you have to do F2P to make $ lol. I just don't get how it can be more profitable than subs.

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:48 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

I've been playing since all of yesterday. Goodness I missed being able to ski in an FPS. And boy did i miss jetpacks. Last 5 games I've been in top 3 in kill count, but I must confess, I'm a technician (engineer), and I'm a turret happy fella. But the fact that I'm usually one of the flag grabbers evens the fact that I'm getting my kills elsewhere.

I'm liking it. so far only one crash when they did a planned server outage. I was out of the servers, but it still froze when they took them down. Which was a bit weird, could have just been a coincidence. Either way, it seems fairly stable. Map design is along the lines of classic so far. I can't wait till this is a bit more available for everyone. I guess it is technically "buy-able" for everyone. And from what I've seen, well worth that money.

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:35 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

Sevnn wrote: I thought in game felt a lot like Tribes, but the menu system was quite possibly the worst interface I've ever seen. Hopefully it has gotten better but if not the game will fail and fail fast. I played Tribes for probably 4+ years and I couldn't make it through 10 minutes without wanting to hold my laser mouse over my eyes in hopes that it would burn my retina and I wouldn't have to see it again.

They just overhauled the interface for Tribes Ascend just yesterday. I'm liking the improvements. They're not done with it yet, but it's far better than it was before. Loadouts are no longer static, experience is no longer linked to kits, and tokens no longer exist.

edit: Sevnn's original post was in a "Sign-up Open" thread.

Post Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:27 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

You NEED to play this!!

Link

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:28 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

5min in, no gameplay. Fukin worst video ever.

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:36 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

Brules, it was covering Sevnn's concerns. Which a lot of people were concerned about under the old interface. Fast forward a good bit, and stop being an ass. The old interface and class setup was crap. There's a reason he went over all of that.

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:52 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

7 is the only human on earth who gets wood from watching Tribes menus.

The rest of us normal people just want to see OMGWTFBBQ gameplay.

Smile

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:20 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Brules, if you had seen there first attempt at an in-game menu system, you would understand why I say it was the worst/most confusing menu system I've seen in any game, EVAR. I played maybe 5-10 minutes of it in the previous menu system and wanted to stab myself with a blunt object repeatedly to take away the pain. It was worse than getting your fingernails removed by someone with tweezers while being waterboarded with battery acid.

That said, i did try it again lately and it was WORLDS different. I could understand what options I was supposed to choose, what was happening in-game, and could do what I wanted within seconds rather than minutes. The class system is a big change from Tribes 1/2 and I'm not sure what that means for old school Tribes guys, but I think it will make the game much easier for "average" gamers. Tribes 1/2 was pretty confusing for most players who didn't spend enough time in the game to "get" it. Tribes Vengence had the Ascend approach and that helped the game to grab a bigger piece of market share but ended up being a short lived game because of other games that were out at the same time, and it was not built as an easy to mod game like Tribes 1/2. I'm very excited about this game, I just hope that it doesn't require $ to be able to be competitive.

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:43 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Sevnn wrote: ...
It was worse than getting your fingernails removed by someone with tweezers while being waterboarded with battery acid.

This is how I imagine acid boarding:

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:19 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

After watching video. Preordered and downloading.

Post Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:13 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

Good, I need some people to play with.
My alias is Drix013.
Pretty much my usual moniker.

I've been heavily play Pathfinder and Technician classes, depending on what is needed in the game. Too many technicians can be bad, and not enough is equally bad. But there's all sorts of options, and just about everyone has some flavor of Spinfuser available.

Also, Goahed, you'd like the Thumper weapons, as they behave like a Noob Tube as a primary weapon. Not sure if you'll like all the skiing and jetpacks, though. I have no idea how many others played and enjoyed the original games other than Sevnn and a couple others.

Post Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:22 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

I loved Tribes 1. Everything after that was crap.

Is this out yet?

Post Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:32 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

Brules wrote: Is this out yet?

If you'd given enough of a care to watch the whole video you'd know the answer to that question. It's a little bit of a complex one, so I'll try to sum up.

Yes and no. It's in semi-open Beta. Like it on facebook to get a beta key.

It's going to use the Team Forteress 2, Free to play model. As it you can buy stuff or earn it in gameplay experience... upgrades to any items or kits are strictly experience. Buying, using Tribes Gold, only opens up initial items and base kits. You can also buy boosters to double experience. A 30 day booster and a decent chunk of gold to get you started are included in the Pre-order, as well as "you bought the game"/VIP server priority.

Also, everytime they've done a major revision of the kits and loudouts, they've refunded the gold and all experience earned so far, so you can re-unlock things as you want, immediately, under the new setup.

From the look of things, they're getting pretty darn close to releasing it. It's starting to really look good and work well in all aspects of gameplay. It definitely feels and works like a "Tribes" game.

Post Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:29 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Skiing is an art form but once you get it, it is a really cool game mechanic. Think of it like a jeep in BF3 that you can use with any kit (with varying results), and any time you want. There are vehicles in game, but you don't need to go to a vehicle station to ski. Once you "get it", you can get from one side of a big map to the other in very short order.

I played it a little a week or so ago and it really feels like Tribes. I would hazard a quick statement to say that it even feels a little more like Tribes 1 than Tribes 2 did. That said, both T1 and T2 were great games in their own respects.

Post Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:31 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

I'm loving it so far, probably 6 hours of gameplay and it's awesome. I forgot how much I missed the rush of trying to make a flag return with half a dozen guys chasing you and launching explosives in your direction.

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:14 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page 1, 2  Next

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: