FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > News and Updates > May 21, 2011 LAN Sign-Up

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Goahed Makemyda
Thursday Night Massacre Host

May 21, 2011 LAN Sign-Up  Reply with quote  

Only a couple of weeks to go before the LAN. Go to the sign-up link above and sign-up today. Why wait, avoid the crowds and traffic. If you do it now you won't have to get up from your drinking binge the night before the LAN just to sign-up. Think of the stress you'll save yourself! Do it now!!!!

Post Wed May 04, 2011 9:34 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Goahed Makemyda

Two week warning. Sign UP!!!!!!!!!!

Post Mon May 09, 2011 8:56 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Zyxion
n00b

SIGN TEH FUCK UP

Post Mon May 09, 2011 9:03 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Goahed Makemyda

Wow, no interest? What happened to the LAN? Is it time to start having it at my house and only for a few select friends? I can't believe we are having to practically beg people to come out every month. About 6 months ago we were getting 16 players every month. It's disappointing.

Post Tue May 10, 2011 9:48 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
BladeRunner
n00b

Goahed Makemyda wrote: Wow, no interest? What happened to the LAN? Is it time to start having it at my house and only for a few select friends? I can't believe we are having to practically beg people to come out every month. About 6 months ago we were getting 16 players every month. It's disappointing.

Not gonna sugar coat it, the reasons we've lost motivation to come are the following:

1) having to bring a chair. Driving from Norman, it is even more of a time/gas investment than shepherd mall was, and having to pack chairs is a huge nuisance. If we want to bring 3 people we need two vehicles and gas ain't cheap.

2) No tournies, no organized X vs Y matches and sometimes not even a "OK let's all play THIS now". This is a big one for me, I loved the pickup q3 instactf tournaments at OLP. Stand in the hallway, 3-4 team captains pick players then go at it. I'm not blaming anyone for not doing this, just saying it's the atmosphere in general that it doesn't happen.

3) Not enough variety. I understand some people just LOVE a single game but it's nice to have variety. In my okgg experience if I want to play something different I'm lucky to get 2-3 others to participate. I'll admit I never take part in the Flatout / destruction derby games so that's my loss. I admit, this is probably more because of lack of numbers rather than the LAN itself. However, in the same vein, if we're going to play a single game all day, let's get a new map or new mode or something every hour or two to change things up. At the Blackops release LAN I was called a whiner for asking periodically hey can we change the game mode? If we had a pickup tourney this would probably be a non-issue.

4) No LAN play. Several recent games that tend to be popular at okgg don't have offline LAN. One of the main features of a LAN party was the stupid low latency everyone had.

5) Cost. I know the money goes to the LAN but if I'm to accept that the above things will not change, I would need a lower cost to try and justify. I would gladly pay $10/mo for the LAN that OLP used to be.

I don't want to come off as completely negative so I will add this: The guys I'd be bringing from Norman and myself are all older with more responsibilities then back in the day of attending LANs constantly, so sometimes things just come up or interest isn't there. However, I can say for myself in particular, if A) the LAN was a lot closer and B) there were pickup tournies / organized matches I would attend every event without a doubt. I won't lie, there is definitely still a huge fun factor in being in the same room with guys playing your favorite game, but that ALONE isn't enough for me to not just play basically the same game at home.

Hopefully this doesn't rub anyone too much the wrong way, I'm not trying to be a hater. I miss the old days and understand it's just the nature of things that LAN parties have declined significantly over time. Just expressing my thoughts on the matter

Post Fri May 13, 2011 11:50 am  View user's profile Send private message
Goahed Makemyda

I appreciate a candid response and I will respond to each item below as best as I can.

Driving from Norman, it is even more of a time/gas investment than shepherd mall was, and having to pack chairs is a huge nuisance. If we want to bring 3 people we need two vehicles and gas ain't cheap

Response:
Moving from Shepherd Mall was not our choice, the venue became unavailable. Finding another one that let us have free parking, $100/mo rent max. space for 20-50 gamers and their computers, electricity, heating and cooling, access from 9am to past midnight, a place to store tables and chairs, and internet access is a real challenge, and one I welcome anyone to take on in their spare time. We are always looking for a better venue. However people used to drive from Bartlesville to attend the OLP LANS at Shepherd Mall. The location will NEVER be convenient for everyone. We even did it in Norman for a few months and that was a huge problem for me hauling all that gear down there and back.

Having to bring a chair

Response:
Then don't bring one....right now a few are available to borrow. If you can't haul one, come anyway. The last two places we were at have had chairs available. The Yukon Round Up Club had tables, chairs and everything we needed except internet. People bitched about that place being lame. I thought it was great! But our numbers fell to 10 or 12 per month and we were actually losing money to host there when we went below 10 per month. Duncan Equipment had tables, chairs internet, etc and FREE RENT!!! but it was dependent on one gamer being there and he quit working there Sad. Our current venue has everything including a few loaner chairs, but we still have to have at least half of the gamers bring a chair so better to ask all of you.

2) No tournies, no organized X vs Y matches and sometimes not even a "OK let's all play THIS now". This is a big one for me, I loved the pickup q3 instactf tournaments at OLP. Stand in the hallway, 3-4 team captains pick players then go at it. I'm not blaming anyone for not doing this, just saying it's the atmosphere in general that it doesn't happen.

Response:
We do have occasional tournies but most players that come regularly are not interested in them and those who complain about it never come, sooooo. We also tried prizes for tournies to incite more attendance but to no avail. All it did was cost more money, and the LAN is NON-PROFIT! The only reason it still exists is because some of us love to meet and have fun in a LAN environment. If someone wants to step in a a staffer who organizes tournies, I'm all for it, any takers?

3) Not enough variety. I understand some people just LOVE a single game but it's nice to have variety. In my okgg experience if I want to play something different I'm lucky to get 2-3 others to participate. I'll admit I never take part in the Flatout / destruction derby games so that's my loss. I admit, this is probably more because of lack of numbers rather than the LAN itself. However, in the same vein, if we're going to play a single game all day, let's get a new map or new mode or something every hour or two to change things up. At the Blackops release LAN I was called a whiner for asking periodically hey can we change the game mode? If we had a pickup tourney this would probably be a non-issue.

Response:
Games come and games go, and what people actually play at the LAN is a decision made at the LAN by a majority. Believe me I hate some of the games, but I just play something else while they play the ones I don't like. We usually play 3-5 games at every LAN so I don't know what more variety people need, again it's everyone's choice what is played. I still enjoy my time at the LAN regardless.

4) No LAN play. Several recent games that tend to be popular at okgg don't have offline LAN. One of the main features of a LAN party was the stupid low latency everyone had.

Response:
We don't really have latency issues at the current location. ASk anyone. Offline is great but we have no issue playing online.

5) Cost. I know the money goes to the LAN but if I'm to accept that the above things will not change, I would need a lower cost to try and justify. I would gladly pay $10/mo for the LAN that OLP used to be.

Response:
$10 is nothing. Sorry, but if you can't afford $10 you won't find much to do away from home for 12+ hours.

I don't want to come off as completely negative so I will add this: The guys I'd be bringing from Norman and myself are all older with more responsibilities then back in the day of attending LANs constantly, so sometimes things just come up or interest isn't there. However, I can say for myself in particular, if A) the LAN was a lot closer and B) there were pickup tournies / organized matches I would attend every event without a doubt. I won't lie, there is definitely still a huge fun factor in being in the same room with guys playing your favorite game, but that ALONE isn't enough for me to not just play basically the same game at home.

Response:
I will be at the LAN until we can't pay for the LAN anymore, but I enjoy it. JMHO

Hopefully this doesn't rub anyone too much the wrong way, I'm not trying to be a hater. I miss the old days and understand it's just the nature of things that LAN parties have declined significantly over time. Just expressing my thoughts on the matter

Response:
Decline comes from people not taking the time to show up...period. It's still fun and I will be there until the end.

Post Fri May 13, 2011 12:37 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

Copied the text of BladeRunner and Goahed's post to my Suggestion Box thread in the Home Improvement forum, please continue to post about LAN improvement there.

Post Fri May 13, 2011 12:39 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ottermaticrifle
TK'er

I wish I could make it. The boss is getting married this weekend, if I don't go I'll probably get fired lol

Post Fri May 20, 2011 11:06 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
BladeRunner
n00b

Sounds like we won't make it either, definitely want to hear how it goes though. I may try to hop into some games with you guys from home if it's open

Post Fri May 20, 2011 1:44 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

Well, that leave's Drix and I as the only two (that I know of) with Brink.

Post Fri May 20, 2011 1:46 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

I blame DRM.

Dick Riding Monkeys.

Post Fri May 20, 2011 3:39 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
blu
Step on my cubes.

Plunk wrote: I blame DRM.

Dick Riding Monkeys.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

Post Fri May 20, 2011 3:51 pm  View user's profile Send private message
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

blu wrote:
Plunk wrote: I blame DRM.

Dick Riding Monkeys.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

One cannot ride a flaccid penis sir. So, maybe roll over and let me have a go next time.

Post Fri May 20, 2011 5:42 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: