FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > IRL > Edmond Police seek hit-and-run suspect in fatality crash

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

Edmond Police seek hit-and-run suspect in fatality crash  Reply with quote  

http://www.edmondsun.com/local/x935813423/Police-seek-suspect-in-fatality-crash

A 21 yr old motorcycle rider was killed Saturday in a hit and run in Edmond.

http://www.edmondsun.com/local/x935813423/Police-seek-suspect-in-fatality-crash

For those so inclined there is a collection jar at the 7-11 at Danforth and Kelly, just south of where Heartland is. To raise money to help the family pay for the funeral costs.

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:52 am  View user's profile Send private message
detox
Naaaaaah. NaaaaaFLAC.

I'm pretty sure I know Linda Denny. How terrible for everyone involved... wow.
SSD
3x Dell U2412 Monitors

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:25 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Another reason to stay the fuck off of motorcycles.....hope they catch the bastard.

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:45 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

Brules wrote: Another reason to stay the fuck off of motorcycles.....hope they catch the bastard.

Because it couldn't have happened with a pedestrian or a guy on a bicycle? Statistics show that motorcycles result in a SLIGHT increase in fatalities, but the vast majority of those are caused by cars colliding with them. The problem isn't motorcycles, it's that there are too many stupid fucks on the roads.

Now admittedly, there are a lot of riders that act like idiots as well. In this case and most others based on the description of it, the driver of the car (probably a soccer mom in a tank of an SUV for no real reason) is at fault.

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:42 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

I like to pretend that the road is filled with bicycles and motorcycles. This way, I always look when merging, both using my mirrors and looking over my shoulder. I can't tell you how many times I thought I was clear after checking the mirror only to find out differently when I looked over my shoulder. I've had a few close calls on my bicycle. Fortunately those were only close and not actual collisions. I did have a guy intentionally bump me from behind with his car while I was waiting for traffic to clear so I could turn left at an intersection.

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:27 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LightningCrash

Anreill wrote:

Because it couldn't have happened with a pedestrian or a guy on a bicycle? Statistics show that motorcycles result in a SLIGHT increase in fatalities, but the vast majority of those are caused by cars colliding with them. The problem isn't motorcycles, it's that there are too many stupid fucks on the roads.

Motorcyclists were 37 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a crash per vehicle mile traveled in 2007 and nine times more likely to be injured, according to NHTSA.

We don't really have any VMT data on bicycles, though.

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:41 am  View user's profile Send private message
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

Interesting.

I actually did a fair bit of looking into this stuff before I bought mine. Everything I found basically came out to ~5 times more likely to be involved in a fatal accident, with ~75% of those caused by the other driver.

That's what I base slight off of. If you read fully through that page, you'll see that the majority of fatalities involve.

Alcohol (29% of fatalities vs. 21% in cars)
Speeding (35% of fatalities vs. 23% in cars)
Unlicensed Drivers (25% vs. 12%)
Supersports (double the fatality rate of a standard sportbike)
Lack of Helmet (823 people would likely be alive if they'd been wearing one)

My basic point here being that in many cases simply being a responsible rider drastically reduces your chances of ending up as a smear on a nearby road/truck/telephone pole. Yes, if you get in a wreck you're more likely to die, but this can be applied to anything that can be considered a dangerous hobby (Skydiving, SCUBA, etc.)

I've been riding for ~3 years. I spent the first 6 months I had my bike in my apartment complex parking lot. I've never had an accident or injury. I drive the speed limit for the most part and always wear full gear. I know (knew) several people that died on bikes, every instance has been because of their own stupidity (drunk, no gear, excessive speed + pothole.) On the other hand, I know a ton of people that ride responsibly and have for years (several of them riding for 20+) that have never even had an accident.

I'm not trying to outright argue with you, but as always with statistics, they're generalized. Numbers can't account for how people drive, how careful someone is, etc. Most riders are FAR more observant and careful than people in cars. We know that we're in a riskier situation and don't have a steel cage to save us from a wreck. Unfortunately not everyone is the same way and most accidents that I've ever known of that resulted in a death are perfect examples of that. I'm not saying that the statistics are wrong, merely that the statistics only take simple numbers into account. How many of those extra numbers are because somebody on a motorcycle was being a dumbass?

The whole thing is unfortunate, but the simple fact that he was on a motorcycle doesn't excuse any of the other contributing factors. For all we know he could have been rear-ended in the same manner while driving his car and drifted sideways into the other lane to be struck and still died.

And Dan, I completely agree with you, riding has made me thoroughly more of aware of the road when driving in an automobile.

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:34 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
The.Real.Cast
Obama Lemming Looking for the Cliff

Anreill wrote:
Because it couldn't have happened with a pedestrian or a guy on a bicycle?

or an economy car.

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:46 pm  View user's profile Send private message
LightningCrash

Anreill wrote: I'm not trying to outright argue with you, but as always with statistics, they're generalized. Numbers can't account for how people drive, how careful someone is, etc. Most riders are FAR more observant and careful than people in cars. We know that we're in a riskier situation and don't have a steel cage to save us from a wreck. Unfortunately not everyone is the same way and most accidents that I've ever known of that resulted in a death are perfect examples of that. I'm not saying that the statistics are wrong, merely that the statistics only take simple numbers into account. How many of those extra numbers are because somebody on a motorcycle was being a dumbass?

Even if half of them were completely the rider's fault... that takes it from 37 times to 18.5 times more likely.

My problem with a bike isn't the inherent safety of the bike, it's everyone else on the road. It's hard to account for every cager in the middle of 5PM traffic.

People scare the bejesus out of me on a daily basis and I'm in a land yacht. Can't imagine sitting on a bike and being in the same position... I would be homicidal.
I can't tell you how many times I've seen a guy merge onto I-35N at SE 15th, hauling a long trailer, and decide to cut across directly to the fast lane so he can take the I-40W exit. It's two or three times a week.

The point on helmets is a valid one. A friend of a friend was leaving Home Depot on a bike, waited at the stop light's left turn lane, and then hit a small patch of sand/gravel in the middle of his turn through the intersection. No helmet, popped his noggin on the pavement, died in ICU. Never got over 5mph! A helmet would have almost certainly have saved his life. His wife survived.

Now to Ctrl+C this before I submit it...

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:01 am  View user's profile Send private message

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: