FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > IRL > Aww Hail! (56k beware)

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Aww Hail! (56k beware)  Reply with quote  

My house is jacked up from the ground up! Roof has holes through decking into attic, gutters are trashed, vent hoods on roof are trashed, two broken window panes, garrage doors are dented up, siding looks like Swiss cheese, facias are toast, north and west walls of house look like they've been sand blasted, daughter's car looks like a golf ball but thankfully no broken windows (yea american glass?). Don't know about the AC unit, will have adjuster look at it. We are the worst on our street, but by far not the worst I have seen on the news. Yikes.

Post Mon May 17, 2010 9:27 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

Holy crap.

Post Mon May 17, 2010 10:04 am  View user's profile Send private message
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Maybe you'll get a new roof. Looks like a garden up there. I imagine thats crap that got knocked off the tree?

Post Mon May 17, 2010 10:37 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Goahed Makemyda
Thursday Night Massacre Host

It was indeed a crazy afternoon. We only got a couple of hail dents in my truck hood, small ones. So far the house looks OK and the trees just lost dead limbs and a lot of leaves.

Post Mon May 17, 2010 11:11 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

yah, looks like we'll get a lot of new stuff hopefully. already signed with a contractor and he'll be here when the adjuster gets here. said because the size of siding we have is no longer available we'll probably get a whole house of siding (due to smaller siding available now not matching up with the old), new gutters, new facia, new roof, new fence (it actually messed up the rounded tops of most of the planks in the fence as well as left divit like dents everywhere on one side), two new garrage doors, new shutters, new window glazing, etc etc etc. He actually went around writing everything down thats messed up to make sure the adjuster pays us for everything. The lawn looks like its been aerated. it has thousands of little craters in it under the overlying tree leaves and branches that were stripped off. looks like i'll be busy this afternoon raking the lawn. Sad

Oh and BTW, my daughter's car only had liability.

Post Mon May 17, 2010 12:44 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
LightningCrash

Sounds like your contractor is on the ball.

That being said, homeowners policies don't cover aesthetic mismatches on replacement units. carriers are usually a tiny bit lenient on this and i hope you luck out.
hopefully the new siding will be physically incompatible with the old siding, thereby necessitating a Remove & Replace on the entire exterior of the dwelling.

If your contractor gets an estimate together before the adjuster arrives, the adjuster may be able to "green line" the estimate.

Post Mon May 17, 2010 1:12 pm  View user's profile Send private message
detox
Naaaaaah. NaaaaaFLAC.

My sister has lots of damage to her house. She lives in The village.
SSD
3x Dell U2412 Monitors

Post Mon May 17, 2010 10:07 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Wow man, glad you all are ok shinare! Be wary of shady contractors and LC knows his shit! Hire him to consult! Smile

Post Mon May 17, 2010 10:22 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Thanks, we're happy there wasn't worse damage or injury as well. The whole shady contractor stuff is weighing heavily on us. You see it happen time and again to people on the news. But we did our homework on the company and called references. They seem to be a good company. They've already tarped and emergency repaired the holes in the roof due to the coming rain. Unfortunately I called the adjusters and as of a few hours ago we still have not been assigned and adjuster, so they can't give us a time when to meet them out there yet. They said it could be as late as next week. Sad

Post Tue May 18, 2010 2:08 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Ug, well good luck!

Post Tue May 18, 2010 4:40 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Just got the call I've been waiting for from the adjuster. I was worried about the whole "shady contractor" stuff when I should have been worried about the whole "Shady Adjuster" stuff. Guess I'm screwed. I did not know that our home insurance only covered the depreciated value of the roof, which is a 30 year roof put on in 1994. They are giving me less than half what it will cost to repair. Also, I seem to only have "recoverable" insurance on things like the siding, facia, windows, etc. So I will not be getting a check for those things UNTIL I have them fixed and receipts sent off to insurance land. But not only that, the amount of $$ given for "recoverable" damages is pitifully small and I really doubt will cover even the siding job much less everything else that is wrong with my house. Looks like its loan time just to fix this stuff. *sigh* That's even if I can get a loan.

I'm pretty screwed on this one. Looks like I'll be in the hunt for a new insurance company. I'm pretty unhappy with how Oklahoma Farm Bureau has treated us.

Post Wed May 26, 2010 4:35 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
LightningCrash

You were ACV on the roof but RCV on everything else?
That doesn't sound right at all, the RCV holdback is usually only done on claims >$7500 and even on ACV policies we were instructed not to pay less than 50% of RCV.

You can file a supplemental claim if the cost of repairs exceeds the payment on the adjusted claim.

Unfortunately this stuff is dictated almost entirely by the policy you selected and the State of Oklahoma so there's really not a lot an adjuster can wiggle with.
Catastrophe adjusters get compensated in a tiered fee schedule based on the dollar amount of the claim, so it's not in their best interest to short-change you in any way.

A full RCV policy with anyone (even OFB again) would be a big jump in coverage for you.
I'd suggest Allstate Deluxe Plus Homeowners, but that's just because I worked Allstate policies and liked them so much. Pls don't ban me for this post.

Post Wed May 26, 2010 6:55 pm  View user's profile Send private message
detox
Naaaaaah. NaaaaaFLAC.

Well I was borderline regarding OFB due to all my stuff going up even though i have not had an incident ever.

This kinda puts me over the edge. I'll be shopping USAA (my dad was military) and a few other companies tomorrow. I'm going to get the quotes on that Allstate Deluxe Plus plan asap.

I'm sorry to hear about your issue and I hope it goes well for you. Unfortunately it seems like OFB is heading towards financial issues very quickly, which is bad for us policyholders.

Also, you can ALWAYS submit a complaint to the Oklahoma Insurance Commissioner if you feel like you have been wronged due to any coverage. This goes for health, life, pnc, commercial, etc.

http://www.ok.gov/oid/

Shin, LC knows more about your situation than I do, but if I can help or if you need me to make calls to people I know/use who deal with that stuff let me know asap.
SSD
3x Dell U2412 Monitors

Post Wed May 26, 2010 7:26 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

I think there's A LOT of people that know more about my situation than I do. Right now I'm really relying on my contractor to help us out. He's called me this morning and basically told me that its unfortunate this is the type of policy I have. He'll call the adjuster because of differences of what the adjuster said he would cover and what he actually gave us. That's about all he can do. And work with us to try to keep the out of pocket cost down. Oh, he did mention some kind of "Contractor overhead and profit" allowance that should have been included but was not because we are using a general contractor to get the fixes done.

I really appreciate any input you all have over this stuff. This insurance stuff is WAY over my head, and I think that's the way the insurance folks like it. I really didn't understand much of what LC said in the above post. But again, I appreciate it.

Post Thu May 27, 2010 3:21 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

LightningCrash wrote: Pls don't ban me for this post.

BAN CANNON FIRE!!!

...waits

Doesn't seem to work. Oh well, you get to slide by on this one!

Post Thu May 27, 2010 3:53 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: