FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Games > Consoles?

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Consoles?  Reply with quote  

Just curious if we would have access to the plasma in the conference room to setup my PS3 or if someone wants to bring a 360 or a Wii even.

I thought that it would be nice to have it setup to chill with for a little while after a mutli-hour stint of BFBC2. Really this is more for post-ModNation Racers release, but I've got both Motorstorm games and other split-screen games that are good to cool down with on the controller vs. the keyboard.

Not sure if this is something anyone would care to see at the LAN, and almost certainly unnecessary but I thought I'd give it a shot. Not looking at all to see people come to the LAN specifically to play console games, but it might be nice to have one setup.

Thoughts?

Post Sat May 08, 2010 3:08 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

*shrug* I admit to playing my Xbox and Wii on my own time, and can bring both with ease, but I don't know if we should open that pandora's box when it comes to the LAN.

Post Sat May 08, 2010 5:06 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

That is what I was worried about. I do not under any circumstances want to start having consoles be any kind of serious draw at the LAN, but there are some games coming out this month, namely ModNation Racers and Blur, that I would love to play during down time at the LAN.

Again this isn't anything important, so if it's not a good idea then it will be dropped but I figured I'd feel people out on this.

Post Sat May 08, 2010 5:09 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Nikola wrote: That is what I was worried about. I do not under any circumstances want to start having consoles be any kind of serious draw at the LAN, but there are some games coming out this month, namely ModNation Racers and Blur, that I would love to play during down time at the LAN.

Again this isn't anything important, so if it's not a good idea then it will be dropped but I figured I'd feel people out on this.

I bought my son "Blur" for his birthday this weekend and I must say that I am pleasantly surprised. Initial Impression: The graphics look nice and the game play is pretty fun. Graphics wise I'm impressed, and there have been no slowdowns or sluggishness at 1080p on my old fat BC PS3 (CECHE). Gameplay wise its more about racing rather than customizing, which I think is a refreshing change from the type of racing games he (and I) have usually been drawn to. The added power-up "combat" is nice too. I've only played it a couple times but it was pretty fun. Not sure about its lasting power tho. Again, I haven't played any of the career mode, just several multi-player races so I really don't know.

Right now gamestop is offering $200 for old PS3's and it costs $299 for a slim. I have enough PS2 games that I won't be able to play anyway if I "upgrade" that I'm thinking seriously about trading in my old games and my old PS3 for a new one (and basically not costing me anything). I certainly would hate to loose my Backwards Compatibility, but I would love to loose the loud fan, small hard drive, and over all "oldness" of it. I would also hate to loose the extra USB ports, and the card reader on the front.

Tisk tisk... Decisions decisions.

Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:56 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Before you trade it in for a slim let me know. I have a "fat" PS3 but it's not BC-compatible and I would love for it to be. That said, the Slim is ugly but don't let that stop you from giving me a BC console!

Also, Blur is awesome. The online racing is fun although it can get a little old after a couple hours. If you have friends over though it is fun for a long, long time. I think Vapor and I and some others have put over 30 hours into it so far in split-screen mode.

Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:21 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Honestly. I don't think you want it. Ever since sony released the firmware that broke installing additional OS's on the PS3 my PS3 has been acting a little flaky. I'll get random lockups in games (maybe one every other night or sometimes a couple in a night) and my guitar hero controllers will disconnect sporadically. I don't generally listen to conspiracy theories, they're worth about as much as you pay for them, but there's a part of me that does believe that Sony is slowly killing off the old fatties with "broken firmwares" so they can move more slims. But theres another part of me that thinks it also could be that their beefed up efforts to thwart the PS3 hacking project could be breaking something in old PS3's that was never really thought about fully (Other excuse I hear a lot).

I never had a problem with this one until I "chose to" upgrade that fateful night.

(chose to in quotes because if you don't you can't get online or order form PS Store, so really, no choice at all)

Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:32 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Yeah, I hear that. I've been lucky so far that my 40gb PS3, now 320gb Smile, has never had an issue updating or anything. I will be very pissed if I eventually have to get a slim because of something like that. I love the piano black PS3 and think it looks fantastic.

Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:01 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

I just got a 120gb PS3 Slim off craigslist and I am loving it.....Assasins Creed is fucking awesomeness.

I want Red Dead Redemption bad!

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:42 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

If you're that excited about the first Assassin's Creed then the second one will blow your mind. The first one is just a pale shadow of the second. GET IT NOW!

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:48 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

I've never had an issue with my fat PS3 being loud.

And as far as small hard drive. Just swap it out. There's a panel on the left side that you can open and swap drives. Any laptop SATA HDD 9.5mm tall or less will fit.

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:20 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

I swapped it for a slim yesterday. I'm lovin it. Either its placebo effect or there really is a difference but it sure feels like its runnin a lot better. No lockups yet either. If it solves my random lockups issue, then it was worth the effort. Its also completely silent, as in NO fan noise at all. Just awesome. A USB hub I had lying around fixed the fewer USB ports issue. Pictures and online measurements don't do it justice. it is A LOT smaller than the fat AND a lot lighter. I'll drop a 320GB in this thing if I need it, but the 120 is already a lot more space than I used to have.

It has been a lot of effort tho. I backed up my old PS3 so I could just restore all my DLC and user saved games and profiles. Unfortunately it didn't let me restore the DLC, just the saved games and user profiles. So I have to re download and install more than 50 DLC products. *sigh*

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:33 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

I need a new TV.....running mine on a 19" flat tube tv at the moment. UG!

Think I will make a thread to get some help with deciding what to get......

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:23 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brules
M F C E O

Nikola wrote: If you're that excited about the first Assassin's Creed then the second one will blow your mind. The first one is just a pale shadow of the second. GET IT NOW!

Think I may skip II and go straight to Brotherhood.....looks unbelieveable.

Post Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:09 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

WTF NO! AC2 is well worth playing, and I wouldn't say that for the first one past the first hour.

Post Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:49 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
HaMMerHeD
[H]ard 4 OKGG

OK fine, I'll play AC2. I loved the first one, but for some reason I haven't checked the sequel out yet.

Perhaps it has something to do with the Ares.

Post Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:50 pm  View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

I'm already pissed off at AC1......I made it to Damascus and I have no idea WTF I am supposed to do.....

Post Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:37 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: