FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Gibberish > Springfield XD40-SC vs. Smith & Wesson M&P40C Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
HaMMerHeD
[H]ard 4 OKGG

Springfield XD40-SC vs. Smith & Wesson M&P40C  Reply with quote  

So, I'm looking for a smallish CC handgun, and I have it down to a Springfield XD40 Subcompact and a Smith & Wesson M&P 40 Compact.

They both have 10 round magazines. The XD has a 3" barrel and the M&P has a 3.5" barrel. The XD has a flat bottom magazine and the M&P has a contoured handgrip extension magazine.

They come about equally recommended by most people I know and they are similar in price.

Any opinions? Right now, I am leaning toward the S&W because it feels slightly better in my hand, due to the swappable palm-swells and the handgrip extension on the magazine.

I know the XD comes with all kinds of "extra" stuff, but the only XD kit gear I use with my XD45 is the speed-loader.

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:25 pm  View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

I have an M&P 9mm and love it. It's a full frame instead of a compact, but I've had absolutely no problems with it. I've shot the xD back when I was trying out various things to see what I wanted to get, and prefer it for reasons you already listed. I find it to be very comfortable due to the changeable backplates and overall size. One thing you should take into consideration is your thoughts on safeties. The xD has a two stage trigger and a grip safety. The M&P only has a two stage trigger, so if you're leery about that you might want to go with xD. I get hell from Goahed a lot, but I carry condition zero when I'm actually out and about (round in the chamber, ready to fire). I've actually had someone hit me with a motorized wheelchair, causing the gun to come free of it's holster and fall to the floor. Not a scratch on it and it didn't blow anyone's foot off or make any loud noises (Not that such is likely to happen.) I've also found that the two stage trigger alone is quite sufficient to stop an accidental discharge, as I've messed with the trigger from several different angles and tried to hang it up on my clothes and such (unloaded of course) and never been able to cause a full trigger pull.

In short, I personally would recommend the M&P.

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:46 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

You can get the M&P with a thumb safety.

If you're a 1911 guy this will make you feel more at home.

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:00 pm  View user's profile Send private message
HaMMerHeD
[H]ard 4 OKGG

I don't care much for manual safeties. It's just another step in the way when seconds count.

The 2-stage trigger doesn't bother me at all.

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:14 pm  View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

XD all the way. GRIP SAFETY FOR THE MOTHERFUCKING WIN!

Smile

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:40 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Souper Phly
Junkie

Glock 27

No need for extra safeties just keep your booger hook off the bang switch.
And a DA trigger that feels like a SA.

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:25 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
HaMMerHeD
[H]ard 4 OKGG

I don't care much for the way Glocks feel in my hand. I have looked at them, and considered them, but they are not comfortable for me to hold or shoot.

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:11 pm  View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

HaMMerHeD wrote: I don't care much for the way Glocks feel in my hand. I have looked at them, and considered them, but they are not comfortable for me to hold or shoot.

Same reason I didn't get one.

Feels like holding a block of wood.

Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:23 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
LightningCrash

HaMMerHeD wrote: I don't care much for manual safeties. It's just another step in the way when seconds count.

The 2-stage trigger doesn't bother me at all.

1911/CZ guys rest their thumb on the safety while firing.
This means, foremost, that you have an awesome grip. Secondly, it means that when you extend to isosceles, the safety is pushed down.

Studies have shown that when somebody snatches your pistol and it has a thumb safety on it, it takes them almost 2 seconds to get your weapon ready to fire ( I believe it was 1.75 seconds.)
Snatched DA pistols and revolvers, however, are immediately used upon their owner.

Just food for thought.

Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:54 am  View user's profile Send private message
HaMMerHeD
[H]ard 4 OKGG

LightningCrash wrote: 1911/CZ guys rest their thumb on the safety while firing.
This means, foremost, that you have an awesome grip. Secondly, it means that when you extend to isosceles, the safety is pushed down.

Studies have shown that when somebody snatches your pistol and it has a thumb safety on it, it takes them almost 2 seconds to get your weapon ready to fire ( I believe it was 1.75 seconds.)
Snatched DA pistols and revolvers, however, are immediately used upon their owner.

Just food for thought.

Do you have links for these studies?

Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:30 am  View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
LightningCrash

HaMMerHeD wrote:
LightningCrash wrote: 1911/CZ guys rest their thumb on the safety while firing.

Just food for thought.

Do you have links for these studies?
I read it in a paper so I had to Google hard to find it:
In 2006 the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) published a report, “Violent Encounters: A Study of Felonious Assaults on Our Nation’s Law Enforcement Officers,” which hits upon manual safeties.
http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2007/08/violent-encounters.html

FWIW Ayoob agrees with their conclusions on manual safeties.

Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:49 am  View user's profile Send private message
HaMMerHeD
[H]ard 4 OKGG

LightningCrash wrote: I read it in a paper so I had to Google hard to find it:
In 2006 the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) published a report, “Violent Encounters: A Study of Felonious Assaults on Our Nation’s Law Enforcement Officers,” which hits upon manual safeties.
http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2007/08/violent-encounters.html

FWIW Ayoob agrees with their conclusions on manual safeties.

Thanks. I wish I had time to read all of that right now, but I have saved the PDFs for review later.

Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:34 pm  View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
LightningCrash

HaMMerHeD wrote: Thanks. I wish I had time to read all of that right now, but I have saved the PDFs for review later.

Realistically, as long as you're well trained with a gun, the manual safety isn't a big issue either way. You've already made the biggest gain in personal safety by your training.

Safariland makes some CCW retention holsters that do a lot to provide physical security on your weapon.

come over to www.okshooters.com
I promise I'm just as much of a dick over there, too.

Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:46 pm  View user's profile Send private message
HaMMerHeD
[H]ard 4 OKGG

LightningCrash wrote: Realistically, as long as you're well trained with a gun, the manual safety isn't a big issue either way. You've already made the biggest gain in personal safety by your training.

Safariland makes some CCW retention holsters that do a lot to provide physical security on your weapon.

come over to www.okshooters.com
I promise I'm just as much of a dick over there, too.

Oh, I wasn't calling you a dick (but I do reserve the right to do so at a later date if necessary), I just find that there is a tremendous propensity for forwarding seemingly logical but still invalid hearsay and loads of FUD in this "hobby." It can be hard to wade through the bullshit sometimes, so it is nice to have actual sources for this information. I tend not to place a lot of stock in Government studies, especially since the government has been trying to tell me that drug violence in Mexico is my fault. But I have read a few of Ayoob's articles, and he seems trustable enough to me, and the gun people I know sometimes talk about him like the Second Coming or something (which sometimes casts him in a sour light, to my perspective).

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:07 pm  View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

LC is a dick, he knows he's a dick, he's okay with you knowing he's a dick, and its okay if you touch his dick. No really, he doesn't mind. Just don't make fun of his goofy looking his kids. If you do, you'll really see how big a dick he is.

Smile <-- So the dick doesn't kill me, and just gets mad.

EDIT: I had a really awesome picture with a caption that reads, "THAT'S ONE BIG MOTHERFUCKING DICK!" I realized that's not safe for work though.

Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:41 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Goahed Makemyda
Thursday Night Massacre Host

CZ all the way baby. Cheaper, better!

Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:16 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Maximes
Giant Maxipad

M&P i personally own a beretta but I have shot both and i like M&P better

Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:40 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Goahed Makemyda
Thursday Night Massacre Host

CZ

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-2075-rami-p/

Scope at H&H Sells Them

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:10 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Maximes
Giant Maxipad

and cz has been making great guns for centuries

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:39 am  View user's profile Send private message
HaMMerHeD
[H]ard 4 OKGG

Maximes wrote: and cz has been making great guns for centuries

Centuries? CZ was founded in 1919.

Beretta, on the other hand, was established in 1526. It is one of the oldest corporations in the world.

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:12 am  View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page 1, 2  Next

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: