FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Games > No dedicated servers in COD:MW2 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Menos
Broke My Labia

No dedicated servers in COD:MW2  Reply with quote  

Are publishers jumping on this bandwagon in droves or what. First Starcraft2 now COD:MW2? Where does it stop?

Slashdot Story

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:58 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

It stopped for me, I just quit buying their shit.

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:00 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Are gamers just going to continue getting their panties in a twist over this kind of thing? I had 2 people come up to me at the Intel LAN just to bitch about Infinity Ward and how over 33,000 people had cancelled pre-orders and that there were hundreds of thousands more doing the same. Get over it, who cares!

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:08 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
detox
Naaaaaah. NaaaaaFLAC.

the business model should be pay-to-play, even for FPS. Like it or not that's the most revenue generation they can get with a good quality game.
SSD
3x Dell U2412 Monitors

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:05 am  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

Re: No dedicated servers in COD:MW2  Reply with quote  

Menos wrote: Are publishers jumping on this bandwagon in droves or what. First Starcraft2 now COD:MW2? Where does it stop?

Slashdot Story

Same publisher.

Fuck Activision, this isn't two different people doing the same thing, it's Activision doing this to all their stuff in the future.

Nikola, yes, we are. It's fucking retarded. No dedicated servers means no mods, no new maps, no clan servers, no tourney servers. All the server settings that PC gamers have been used to are not going to be there.

And I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they're leaving out details on this, I'm expecting it to go the same way as Starcraft II where ALL use of the multiplayer component of the game has to go through their servers, even if you're on a LAN.

Edit: And as a side note, I'm not entirely sure I'll be buying this, regardless of how popular it may be at the LAN. It really depends on what I see once it's out.

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:39 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Anreill

Yup, just found an article with some more info... They basically come out and say that it's a direct console port except for the mouse control, graphics settings, and text chat.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/11/pc-modern-warfare-2-its-much-worse-than-you-thought.ars

I'm not wasting my money on it.

Post Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:20 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Menos
Broke My Labia

And of course if we don't by it they will just use the lack of sales as justification to stop developing games for the PC. We are in a no-win situation Sad

Post Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:34 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

It's a free market, someone else will step up to fill the Actishitton void.

Post Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:21 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

I am kind of sad to hear that it's only 9v9 capable now. Granted one of the things I hated about the PC version compared to the PS3/360 version was that there were always too many people in the map, but for LANs that sucks.

Post Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:26 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Anreill

I can't say I care about it being a "no win." i'm not going to support a company that is screwing over PC gamers even if it's for the sake of trying to keep things going.

Post Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:35 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Goahed Makemyda
Thursday Night Massacre Host

OK, Because I respect you guys opinions here and I want to see Activision and others do better development for PC gamers, I cancelled my pre-order. Also because it was starting to sound like I was not going to have anyone to play with anyway Wink

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:01 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Maximes
Giant Maxipad

aw guese i will cancel mine to the whole point of me buying it for pc was so i could play it at the lan partys

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:12 pm  View user's profile Send private message
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

I just refuse to buy shitty games. I'd be willing to try a demo. At this point I won't be preordering it.

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:47 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

I don't think it qualifies as a shitty game. Shitty move, most definitely. From everything I've seen/read about the game it's going to be a great sequel to Modern Warfare; new weapons and maps and better textures. I don't really see the justification of it as a shitty game unless you really can't live without Pro Mod or anything that you guys don't seem to use anyways.

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:46 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Anreill

It's not about the game being good or not.

At least not for me.

It's about not supporting a company that feature rapes a PC release because they're too lazy to do it right. Especially a company like Infinity Ward that wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for the PC gaming community.

It's called voting with your wallet. I don't agree with the BS they're doing, I'm kinda disappointed cause I'm going to miss out on what is likely to be an awesome single player experience. But it would be like voting for a presidential candidate based on his race and not taking any of his stances or opinions into account. (Did I just go there? Very Happy)

Pros -
Awesome SP
Awesome MP

Cons -
No dedicated servers.
Matchmaking only (someone will ALWAYS have the ping advantage and the players don't even get to pick which person hosts)
18 player limit
IWnet (being designed specifically as a content serving platform, the entire point of this is to bring paid DLC to PC)
65fov with no possible fix (Half-Life 2 defaulted to 80 on this I believe and that was enough to make me nauseous, I don't even want to know what 65 will do.
Complete lack of mod/map making support.

So, in conclusion.

I'm not against Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. I'm not purchasing what is likely to be an awesome game SOLELY because of Infinity Ward's asshattery. I play console games as well. I've played Resistance and Warhawk on my PS3. Yeah, they're fun. But finding a server with a decent ping and a stable player level is a complete pain in the ass. I don't want a "console like" experience when I try to game online on my PC. PC is my preferred platform because I prefer the way PC games have worked for the last 15 years and I'm not real thrilled about the idea that companies think we need to migrate to Microsoft's shitty LIVE matchmaking style.

Post Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:17 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
detox
Naaaaaah. NaaaaaFLAC.

this made me laugh

SSD
3x Dell U2412 Monitors

Post Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:14 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Nikola wrote: I don't think it qualifies as a shitty game. Shitty move, most definitely. From everything I've seen/read about the game it's going to be a great sequel to Modern Warfare; new weapons and maps and better textures. I don't really see the justification of it as a shitty game unless you really can't live without Pro Mod or anything that you guys don't seem to use anyways.

Any game that lacks 90% of the features Multiplayer PC Games typically come with is a shitty game.

Post Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:19 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Asshats take away features from PC Gamers because they want tighter control of their game. They get press like this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8351370.stm

I want to know how they are "losing" millions in sales to piracy.

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:56 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brules
M F C E O

Just another example of how Consoles are KILLING PC Gaming. Sad

Post Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:57 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Ranger283
Scrotal Sack Ninja

I concur with Brules....

www.speedyserving.com

Post Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:18 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page 1, 2  Next

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: