FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > IRL > 45 vs 9mm vs 40 vs 10mm

What do you prefer to shoot?
9mm
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
45 ACP
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
The once popular 10mm
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Brules
M F C E O

45 vs 9mm vs 40 vs 10mm  Reply with quote  

So like.....whats the best all round *round*? 9mm is cheap, and Scope tells me with bad ass hollow points, it is equal to a 45 in stoping power. 45's are bad ass, but less capacity and more $. So what does everyone prefer? I am wanting to buy a pistol.....like a Sig or a XD45, but I am back and forth on the caliber, was hoping to hear some different viewpoints. Links to articles are much appreciated.

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:22 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

I vote 45 cuz thats what I used to shoot competition IPSC. A heavily modified Springfield 1911 FTW baybee. But you are right... if I would have stayed withi t I definitely would have bought a press and loaded my own. I have about 100-200 (maybe even more than that) rounds of brass if you get a 45 I'll just give to you. Smile

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:30 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
MooseDog
Hay, look over their!

I like the stopping power and "coolness" of .45, but indeed 9mm is much cheaper. I sometimes wish I had a 9mm still and if I could carry in IL I might consider a .357 revolver.

Also, if you get a double stack .45, like my Para Ordnance Tac Four, you're looking at 13+1. That's a mighty healthy dose of .45; and that's a CARRY VERSION. The size of your hand (not you specifically) may not allow the double stack; it's quite a bit larger. People with small hands may have a harder time holding it comfortably. It fits my hand great. The single stack 1911 style handles on the other hand feel very small to me.

I had a friend with a Springfield XD 9mm version that I didn't like at all. I did really like my Dad's 9mm Beretta. I liked my 9mm Glock 17.

Whatever you decide to buy, go shoot it first. Rent it, talk someone into to shooting theirs, whatever it takes. Don't buy until you try.

Wow, that was more than $.02.

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:38 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Yah, a serious "seconded" to the try before you buy. When I was looking, I was able to shoot a lot of people's diferent types of gun (being part of the IPSC scene) and I thought the 1911 really fit me a lot better than most. But then again, I was kinda biased because I learned to shoot a pistol on a 1911. But I did try a lot of different guns before I bought mine.

For me things like "stopping power" and "coolness" didnt factor in since I knew all I'd be doing with it was shooting targets with people that thought that anything you came to the table with was cool, just as long as you came to the table. Things that did factor is was what class I would be shooting in and what gun would put me in that class. If thats all your going to be doing with yours, then thats something to keep in mind as well.

PS> Mods and parts for 1911's are everywhere. hehe

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:47 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
detox
Naaaaaah. NaaaaaFLAC.

http://www.winchester.com/lawenforcement/testing/testing.aspx

click the Launch link at the bottom. really cool site.
SSD
3x Dell U2412 Monitors

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:51 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
PsYch0
Didn't you see me at the LAN?

45acp 13+1 or 10+1 in my xd compact

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:43 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
5][Havik

I voted for .45, it is my favorite caliber. Just remember this, those super duper 9mm that have stopping power just like a .45 cost just as much as .45 ammo. I would like to know what exact ammo scope is talking about if you know, b/c I know he knows his shit and I have a 9mm and would like to get some. Are you sure they stop just as good as a .45? What about a .45 with hotter ammo?

Last edited by 5][Havik on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:13 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
J3ST3R
I'm NSFW

I love the Glock I bought from Moose, 9x19 but 40 kicks ass.

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:16 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Sagz
Jaeger Bomb!

I'm partial to 9mm for the following reasons:

cheaper gun price (usually) and cheaper ammo

which allows more range time

which improves your accuracy and knowledge of the weapon

"stopping power" of the 45acp is fantastic but that is not going to mean SHIT if you can't hit a barn.

practice with 9mm ball ammo and keep hollow points in the weapon when you want/need to defend yourself.

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:34 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:43 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
[FUKM] ICE COLD
lan party avoiding douche

I find the idea of stopping power slightly funny. I understand it from a "This gun makes a big bang sound" but wouldn't 1/2 a clip of 9mm stop anything alive that you would ever point your gun at? And I would think if I was holding a .45 or a 9mm I would pull the trigger the same amount of times if I was trying to deal out stopping power. B/c really once it's stopped it's stopped, it's not going to be more than stopped and the odds of it being less than stopped I don't think is going to come down to 9mm or .45 when you know you can land even 1/3 of your shots.

So yeah, I 2nd Sagz's post about the 9mm but have nothing in the slightest bad to say about the .45. I fired both and like them both the same, it's a gun, it goes boom boom.

With all of that said the .22 just came to mind and put "stopping power" into perspective for me. I've unloaded entire clips of .22 into beavers and they didn't seem to care and just were more pissed off that their brain had a few small holes in it. But the .22 isn't on the same scale as a 9mm or .45 so I still find the comparison slightly funny.

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:02 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
nimda
Curator of art Faggory

i think the question here is... when did you unload clips into beavers? UCO have a beaver control problem or something? Wink

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:07 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
[FUKM] ICE COLD
lan party avoiding douche

nimda wrote: i think the question here is... when did you unload clips into beavers? UCO have a beaver control problem or something? Wink

Parents house jack ass.

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:10 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
nimda
Curator of art Faggory

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:20 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
MO8IUS
I's L N B !!!!!!! Sheesh!

Hopefully everybody gets a chance to discharge their gun in to some beaver before they die. Its quite an experience.

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:06 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
nimda
Curator of art Faggory

haha, i knew somebody would bring that up. Wink

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:12 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: