FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > IRL > Pit bull ban

Should ownership/possession of pit bull dogs in OK be banned?
Yes, without a doubt!
63%
 63%  [ 14 ]
No, I don't see a problem...
36%
 36%  [ 8 ]
I can't make up my mind yet!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 22

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
J3ST3R
I'm NSFW

Pit bull ban  Reply with quote  

I was just reading in the paper from yesterday and there was a good article talking about pitbull attacks. State lawmaker Paul Wesselhoft, R-Moore plans to introduce legislation this year that will effectively ban the breed. The Bville paper listed 17 different attacks some of which were fatal.

There have been numerous attacks around these parts. Wink

After reading more about it, I think they should be banned. If stupid people can't keep them locked up, get rid of them all together and solve the problem.

So what does everyone think? Attached a poll.

Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:06 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Brules
M F C E O

Ban them outright or make it where you have to have a license to own them. To get said license you have to have a $1,000,000 insurance policy or something like that.

You have to have a license to own other dangerous animals right? A pitbull is just like a bear. Smile

And no, it is not just the owners, the breed itself has alot of problems as they have been bred for agressiveness and alot of inbreeding has occured which will definately screw a dog up.

Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:46 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

I'd be down for licensing however a required million dollar policy? However if we're going to start licensing for pitbulls may as well go for chows because they bite more frequently.

Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:50 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Fatal0E
pwn3d

The people that live nextdoor and share a fence with my mother have recently gotten one. He seems to be a mean little bastard, soon as anyone walks out the back door he goes nuts trying to get through the fence. I would not let my son out to play christmas day because of it. I think if it keeps up my grandmother is going to take care of thing herself, she is afraid to set out on the patio.

Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:50 am  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

TehDanMan wrote: I'd be down for licensing however a required million dollar policy? However if we're going to start licensing for pitbulls may as well go for chows because they bite more frequently.

Chows may be more bite prone, but when they do, they dont usually tear an arm of of a child. They will bite and let go. Pitbulls tend to bite and bite more or hold on and thrash.

Plus Pitbulls are 10000000x more popular than Chows......there are thousands upon thousands more pit bulls. So they have a much higher incidence rate.

Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:54 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

I like the idea of of the license and the manditory insurance policy. Tax the shit out of someone who has one, maybe they will reconcider how important fido is to the family. Hell, my wife's sister breeds them, but I'll be tue first in line to vote FOR a license and mandatory insurance coverage. Not necessarily an outright ban, but definatly needs some better safeguards in place to keep the idiots out there from owning one and not able to control it.

Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:06 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
J3ST3R
I'm NSFW

Fatal0E wrote: The people that live nextdoor and share a fence with my mother have recently gotten one. He seems to be a mean little bastard, soon as anyone walks out the back door he goes nuts trying to get through the fence. I would not let my son out to play christmas day because of it. I think if it keeps up my grandmother is going to take care of thing herself, she is afraid to set out on the patio.

rat poison and doggy treats, works like a charm. Laughing

Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:19 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Goose
Junkie

dR.Jester wrote:

rat poison and doggy treats, works like a charm. Laughing

That or sit in the backyard with a 12 gauge semi-auto and just wait for the owners to come out to see what all the barking is about. When they see you just wave and say "Nice day isn't it"

Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:29 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
C
TheLetterShe

when i first moved here to noman over the summer we lived in a rental house and our next door neighbor had one and they were the kind of irrisponsible owners and it got out frequiently. the other neighbors said that it always gets out and the fine that the pound charges them doubles each time and they still did nothing to keep it in. good thing we were only in that house a month or so.

Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:35 pm  View user's profile Send private message
blu
Step on my cubes.

Where is the 4th option.

Probably, but would rather ban jester from owning firearms.

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:29 am  View user's profile Send private message
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

Actually, many homeowners insurance companies won't insure you if you own a dangerous breed.

I believe that a million dollar homeowners liability be necessary for ownership of a dangerous breed. $1M may sound high, but you'd be surprised how much you may already have. Most claims I work already have a $300,000 liability coverage.

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:50 am  View user's profile Send private message
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

One of the primary reasons my wife and I moved was because of our next door neighbor, their inability to properly fence their dogs, and the complete lack of support from animal control. I was bitten by their german shepard, filed a report, NOTHING happened. Their dog was of its leash running around the neighborhood. This was the nth time it had happened and it continued to happen after that. On one occasion the dog took off after an elderly woman pushing a baby carriage. It was showing extreme signs of aggression and if the neighbor across the street (not the dog owner) hadn't been in his yard and called the dog off, the dog would have likely attacked the woman and/or the baby.

I reported the bite and the dog running loose over 10x to animal control and the OKCPD. Nothing was ever done. Shortly before we moved out, the neighbor got a new "friend" who owned 2 pitbulls. Her "friend's" dogs didn't get along with her dogs so they kept them in the front yard leashed to a 20lb wooden bench. Once the dogs got aggressive towards me and had no difficulty at all pulling the bench across the yard. If I was armed, I would have taken care of both of them.

If I hadn't moved away, I would have armed myself and taken the matter into my own hands.

The problem isn't the breed (necessarily), the problem is the owners of the breed. Typical owners of chows/pitbulls are lower class/income people who don't respect other people and/or have anything to loose if their dogs attack someone. Unfortunately for us (in the old house), the neighbors house was foreclosed-bought by a bank-renovated-and sold for less than 1/2 the value of our home putting us next to poor white trash. We had firm belief she was selling drugs/sex on a regular basis. We had to call the cops very often for her (and her "friends") behavior.

I did research pitbull attacks when I heard about this legislation about 6 months ago. Pitbulls and Chows are the most prevelant breeds of dogs to attack statistically. This number is however based on pure counts, not percentages of dogs in each breed. The study I read stated that pitbulls and chows have a very high population and that the percentage of bites per breed is higher but still very close to other breeds such as dobermans and german shepards. The study did also say that in a 20 year period (if my memory serves correct) chows have been the highest number of attacks for about 15 of those years. Pitbulls have recently become the number one with chows in second. I wish I had the article but I'm too lazy to google.

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:50 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
J3ST3R
I'm NSFW

My neighbors across the street from me have a couple of chows and they are pretty nice dogs. Then again, my neighbors are very nice people so that probably helps in how the dog acts.

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:27 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Breaky
Im serios this is pretty fucked up

Place bowl of antifreeze near problem dogs.

Problem solved.

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:26 pm  View user's profile Send private message
The.Real.Cast
Obama Lemming Looking for the Cliff

It's just a dog man, any breed can bedangerous when it's raised by thug pieces of shit. I think it might be appropriate to place special housing/security measures in yards with certain breeds, but banning an entire breed is RETARDED.

Ban chihuahuas. Chihuahuas are far more likely to bite.

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:27 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

I thought we already discussed the "more likely to bite, and more likely to tear your arm off when they bite" debate.

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:33 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
[FUKM] ICE COLD
lan party avoiding douche

The breed isn't the problem. I can train, or not train and just live with, ANY breed of dog and make it so they attack on sight seen. Hell I bet I could do it with a fucking cat also. Infact I can't think of a single animal that I couldn't do that with, even human. The breed isn't the problem at all.

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:09 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Killaholic
2173 Posts and still a shitty title!

I disagree with the fact that it isn't the breed. While yes I do think that it is a large part of the owners fault. Anytime you have some crack head raising something it isn't going to turn out right. Look at a vast majority of the kids. Same holds true with the dogs. Some will come out right, most won't. There are a lot of breeds that are just naturally mean. The worst bite I have ever received was by my grand parents Chihuahua. I hated that little bitch. However, like mentioned earlier, the dog was bred for its power and aggression; which is the attraction to the dog. The breed is screwed up from line breeding. I do not have a clue how it could be legal to own one with a kid. I think there should also be fencing requirements for having a dog like it. Personally I would kill one if it were my neighbors barking and growling at my kids. (Which I don't have kids, just in theory.) Since there is no way to know which is a bad owner and a good owner it should just be banned. I am sick of seeing on the TV some idiot coming out saying "Killer has never been like that before. I trusted him with my kids." Since the owners can't control the breed, ban it. As well as any dog that has a similar aggressive behavior. All others that are mildly a threat should require the passing of a written test that shows the owner understands what makes a dog behave aggressively etc. This Bull Shit has gone on long enough.

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:51 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I don't agree with the breed being the problem, but I would argue that the breeding is part of the problem. There is alot of inbreeding in chows and pitbulls causing them to have genetic defects that could easily result in higher than normal levels of aggression.

The real problem though is in the raising of the "bad" breeds combined with their natural tendancies to be strong/aggressive. German shepards can be raised to be extremely aggressive but we'll never see a ban on that breed, especially given the number of police shepards.

A friend of mine had a GS that he had raised to be very docile and was wonderful with his kids. If someone came into his house without "permission" you better look the fuck out, he was comnig after your ass in a hurry. He taught it all of his commands in german so he would be less likely to respond to the average person.

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:15 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

So if he had a scottish terrier would he teach him the commands in scottish?

"seet dawn yew stewpd haagis, seet!!"

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:25 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: