FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > The LAN Party Itself > March LAN Question Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Should the OKGG be held in March?
Abso-freakin-lutely! I'll be there...
46%
 46%  [ 13 ]
I'm going to ExtremeLAN, but do what you want....
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
I don't think we should hold a LAN in March.
28%
 28%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 28

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Sagz
Jaeger Bomb!

Well said. Agree 100%

Post Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:57 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Goahed Makemyda
Thursday Night Massacre Host

My issue is not as much the $50 as it is the Thursday thru Saturday deal. I would have gone if it was Friday thru Sunday and I could get my money's worth.

Post Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:33 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
nimda
Curator of art Faggory

go thursday night for a few hours. that was my hang up too until lindz pointed that out.

Post Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:47 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Goose
Junkie

Goahed Makemyda wrote: My issue is not as much the $50 as it is the Thursday thru Saturday deal. I would have gone if it was Friday thru Sunday and I could get my money's worth.

I completely understand, I am taking vacation during the LAN just so I get my money's worth. But I also have to use up 6 1/2 weeks of vacation too. Smile I didn't even look at the days until k_os pointed them out, all I was looking at was it was over 3 days time. I really thought they were talking about Fri, Sat, and Sun. I really wish it was all day Saturday, but you can't have everything... At least it is going to happen in OKC.

Post Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:06 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
dsessom
Sand Filter

Well, it was the best we could do.
But really, you would only need 1 day off work (Friday) since it doesnt start til 6pm Thurs.

Post Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:57 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Despite
I am Chaotic Good Bitchy.

1 day off work, AND a handful of mini-thins. and I'm far too old to stay up for >48 hours straight, even with chemical assistance.

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:47 am  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
detox
Naaaaaah. NaaaaaFLAC.

Despite wrote: 1 day off work, AND a handful of mini-thins. and I'm far too old to stay up for >48 hours straight, even with chemical assistance.

me too, and I am not anywhere near your age!

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:49 am  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Despite
I am Chaotic Good Bitchy.

detox wrote:
Despite wrote: 1 day off work, AND a handful of mini-thins. and I'm far too old to stay up for >48 hours straight, even with chemical assistance.

me too, and I am not anywhere near your age!

it hurts because it's true. Crying or Very sad

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:55 am  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Lilie
n00b

I'd have the say the biggest reason I would not want to spend $50 on this event is simply that it is not stable. Up, down, on, off, there is no stability in the event, which makes consumers ansy to give up their hard earned cash both physically and in taking off a day from work. Perhaps it was planned farther in advance and had things actually firm, it would have a better turn around rate. That and they haven't listened to the gamers whatso ever. Every one here has said we don't care what kind of prizes, make it worth our time. Entertain us, don't bribe us. LAN's aren't for bribery to get people in a room and sell all these high end products to, we want to be entertained, thats the whole point of a LAN.

Post Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:13 am  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Goahed Makemyda

Thay aren't? Aw shit...I gotta plan a new strategy HEHE!

Post Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:31 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Lilie
n00b

See and comments like that make me want to stay far far away from your event. I have run every LAN party I have ever done from my own pocket. I just don't think advertising to the people you want to sign up in this way is going to help you get more preregisters. But thats just me.

Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:21 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SyncError
Sand Filter

ProGen wrote:
don't forget, first 100 to sign up are put in a drawing for a p4 32.ghx cpu, that will be shipped to you before the event, with enough time for you to get it in and running.

Omg s3x! A 32ghx cpu! That's like faster than c^2.

Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:28 pm  View user's profile Send private message
blu
Step on my cubes.

I was getting ready to say, hell yeah, I'll pay $50 for a 1/100 chance of winning a 32 GHz machine.

Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:32 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Lilie
n00b

Never said I did. Just saying it is not a big deal for the people running an event to shell out some funds for it. strichauge But for the record I have spent $2000 for one and got NO return on it, nor did I try to get a return. Yeah for giving away my tax refund! Wink

Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:45 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Shinobi
Nowhere To be Found!

well, there's also the fact that there's gonna be another big lan in June, which is the one i will likely be attending.

Ripping apart SR20DET's sucks...

Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:22 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GruntmaN
Sand Filter

sfgoose wrote: I know that many people are saying $50 is a lot, and they are correct. It is a lot; however, I am going anyway. People keep saying that OKC isn't the place for a big LAN... Well, you know what, it is up to the gamers in OKC and Oklahoma to change that. The more people that show up for ExtremeLan the better the chances are that we will have another one. With that more sponser will come out and that will attract more gamers. More people you have the less the cost will be over all. I know this isn't QuakeCon which is FREE, but until ID Software moves to OKC (which will never fucking happen) we are pretty much stuck with having to pay money for big LAN's.

Hi all new to the forums. I found this when searching for extremelan. All I can say is I'm shocked to hear some of you. Yes, we have to be faithful to our local LANs, don't get me wrong, but this could be a once in a lifetime chance for many of you to see what a major LAN event is like and a chance to ensure that other large LANs come to your town. With the prizes available you'll likely be playing with some of the best gamers period. Here's your chance to proove what OKC is made of.

I run GruntvillE.com and we're going down to cover the event and of course enter into the contests and tournies. The guy throwing EL is an Okie. With the sponsorship dough he has he could have very well moved this LAN to Dallas or another large town in another state. He's doing this for the Okies. Tea, of course theirs marketing in it but he's doing this for the readers of his site which most of are in OK.

GruntvillE sponsors a lot of LANs and attends even more. We're modders and gamers and that's it. Don't think that because there's $35k in prizes that there won't be gaming. Big LANs are a little different from the smaller ones. People seem to turn filesharing off vs sharing everything. It's all about gaming and meeting other gamers from everywhere. In fact, don't be surprised to find someone you meet online at events like these. I sincerely hope you see this post as a helpful one vs a flame. It's not every day that a major annual event comes to your town. Try and do your part to ensure it comes back next year! That is unless you prefer having to drive a million miles to go to a big LAN like QC or MML or CPL.

I live in KC and we have a great group www.kcbeatdown.com but we've never been blessed with a 400 person LAN. I know if we were that my butt would be signing up day one. It's easy for the faithful to see an event like EL as invading your turf but in fact it's the opposite.

Hope to see you all there. If money is the issue, give the guys a call. He might be willing to help out someway. It's better than writing it off and flaming it.

Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:26 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Damage
Junkie

It's pretty sad that people from as far away as Georgia and NY are signed up, yet only a couple of dozen from Oklahoma have done so. Not that I'm any better or anything because I haven't signed up either. Fifty bones is a lot for a LAN, especially when I'd only be able to make it for 12-16 hours or so.

I personally don't think the OKGG should be held that day. I'm not a regular attendee, (made it maybe half a dozen times since the OLP started) so my vote probably doesnt' count for much. But it just seems wrong to go head-to-head with ExtremeLAN, even if none of the OKGG that attend were going to go anyway. To me it just shows bad faith and a lack of support for the XL crew.

Just my $0.02

Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:15 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Goahed Makemyda

Having or not having an OKGG in March is not about going head to head against the ExtremeLAN at all. It is about taking a vote of the people who come to the OKGG and asking them if they want a place to play if they aren't going to the EL.

When the OKGG was started, and to this date, the idea was "by the gamer, for the gamer" and with that in mind, as staff, we don't want to decide for "the gamer" wether or not we hold our LAN along side the EL. That is a decision left to you guys.

I am not going to the EL as a personal choice, and I am OK with not haveing an OKGG and just taking a month off, but if "the gamers" want an OKGG, they shall have one. Not as a competition to the EL, but as an alternative to those who cannot or do not want to attend.

Right now there is a stronger vote to HAVE the OKGG LAN than not have it. Unless it changes I will donate my time to run the event.

Also kep in mind, we use a facility for the cost of a donation to charity, wereas other renters actually pay rent. If the mall notices us not using the room in March, June and August, we could loose our space, tables, free electricity, storage, etc. So we should have LANs every month possible to keep our LAN alive.

However, nothing about this poll has anything negative against the ExtremeLAN from the OKGG's standpoint. We all hope more major LAN's can happen in this area. But not everyone can attend, and the OKGG should be there for those who choose to come here.

Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:59 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
GruntmaN
Sand Filter

A very good answer. FYI, I noobed and voted for the okgg thinking it was hell ya I'm going to EL. For those that can make it, look me up; I'll be on the row with all the sweet mods:) I'm glad to hear such a response from the staff of the LAN and truly am sorry you've decoided not to attend.

Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:20 am  View user's profile Send private message
J3ST3R
I'm NSFW

I still vote for OKGG in March, I turn 21 on the 16th. w00t!

Can I bring booze to the lan? heehee

btw, if EL was $30 or less, I'd go, any that is $50 is not worth going to in my book. No matter how many prizes, sponsors, gamers, hookers, they may have. Wink Just my $0.03

Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:47 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: