FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Games > COD: MW3 = Online subscription

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Menos
Broke My Labia

COD: MW3 = Online subscription  Reply with quote  

Not sure I'm liking where this is headed. Sure they say you'll still be able to play online without the subscription but without it you won't get any of the map packs or update content. The way I see it: map packs today, online play period tomorrow. Activision is trying to turn FPSs into WOW.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304563104576355310423496054.html

Post Tue May 31, 2011 9:59 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

Though I agree it's stupid, that's not exactly what it is.

Post Tue May 31, 2011 4:06 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Menos
Broke My Labia

How so?

Activision plans to charge a monthly subscription fee for the service, which will provide extra content that isn't offered on game discs sold in stores, including downloadable map packs that give players new "Call of Duty" levels to play.

I'm just saying it setting a bad precedent for FPS games.

Post Tue May 31, 2011 4:17 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

I don't play wow because of a regular subscription that sucks the life out of me, or any other subscription game. I feel I'm losing my money if I don't play. And there were months I paid for wow and didn't log in for more than 5 minutes. If they are doing some sort of online subscription, you can likely count me out.

Post Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:19 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

It's not necessary to have the subscription service to access the normal features, the subbed part is just extra shit.

Still lame, but the entire internet seems to be going "OMG MW3 is pay-to-play!"

Post Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:43 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

I would think that everyone would be against buying/playing it just because it's more of the same rehashed crap that's been around since the original CoD4:MW and NOTHING has been as good as it yet.

Post Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:40 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
ottermaticrifle
TK'er

I'm tired of cod. Theres nothing new. Let them charge a fee, I don't think I'll be buying the game either way.

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:28 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

They're just miffed so few are buying their map packs for COD. ...That they seem to release every 5 minutes and want too much money for what they are. But if they're not going to give me a dedicated server solution they're just being lazy, given their competition, and don't deserve my gaming dollar one way or another. I'm never going to be a fan of matchmaking. It has too many complications when you try to get more than a small number (5 or less) of people playing together. And even more if you do get them all playing together.

Besides, how many Friggin COD games are they going to throw at us. It's seems it's been one a year lately. And the same formula gets old when we have only minor improvements for release to release.

I think I, too, am done with COD if they're gonna pull this kind of shit. Course, I wasn't really a fan until COD4. Black Ops isn't bad, but I've skipped MW2, and will 3 for the same set of reasons... but I'm adding the subscription nonsense to that list.

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:48 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Menos
Broke My Labia

Drix wrote: It's seems it's been one a year lately.

They've gone on record as saying that is their goal. COD is for consoles. Console players get bored. They are catering to the lowest denominator.

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:52 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
SuperDuck
Being Railroaded by the Dan-Man

Menos wrote:

They've gone on record as saying that is their goal. COD is for consoles. Console players get bored. They are catering to the lowest denominator.

Maybe console FPS players. Or sports game players. Probably both since both categories generally seem to piss me off. But I'd rather play a console than a computer for the most part, and I've put countless hours into games. Granted those are generally action and or RPGs. Though more so than that, you ever seen one of those console racing game fanatics? It's a little creepy how long they can/will play those games.

Regardless of genre I'm pretty sickened if any company wants to release a new game in a franchise like this every year. How can it be that new or different? I've been arguing this point against sports games for years but there's a niche for them and honestly as much as I'd like to hate the publishers they are making a shit ton of money from their target audience. It's just that the console FPS market's target audience seems to have shifted about fifteen years younger in the past few years.

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:59 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

Menos wrote:

Fuck their goal. I miss games of the quality that we play them for a few years. UT2K4 and BF2 are prime examples. Granted BF2 had it's problems, but we all enjoyed it for about 3 years, did we not? And COD4, I know we got 2 years out of.

If they're going to keep this up, maybe it should be "Madden Call of Duty"... You know, that actually sounds like a fun idea. Have a COD game that had John Madden and Pat Summerall Commentary. (Probably spelled Pat's name wrong. If so, sorry. Neutral)

Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:41 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
SuperDuck
Being Railroaded by the Dan-Man

Drix wrote:
Menos wrote:

Fuck their goal. I miss games of the quality that we play them for a few years. UT2K4 and BF2 are prime examples. Granted BF2 had it's problems, but we all enjoyed it for about 3 years, did we not? And COD4, I know we got 2 years out of.

If they're going to keep this up, maybe it should be "Madden Call of Duty"... You know, that actually sounds like a fun idea. Have a COD game that had John Madden and Pat Summerall Commentary. (Probably spelled Pat's name wrong. If so, sorry. Neutral)

That would be pretty bad ass. I'd buy it.

Post Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:20 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: