FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > IRL > Tesla sues Top Gear:

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Brules
M F C E O

Tesla sues Top Gear:  Reply with quote  

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/04/01/tesla-sues-bbc-car-bad-review/?test=latestnews

LoL - that was a funny episode.....can't wait to see if Clarkson rips them even more now! Whens the next season air!?!?!?!

Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:02 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

If I remember correctly, they did say it out performed the elise (except in hard cornering due to the weight of the batteries in the middle). They did manage to break TWO of them during filming of the epichode, tho, which would lead one to believe they needed to work on durability since they don't manage to break multiple of most other cars they drive on the track. (I have seen it tho)

And about the length of the charge, I thought that was relatively acceptable (and a little bit common sensible) seeing as how they spanked the hell out of it. Under normal driving conditions you would expect a longer charge.

*shrug* Seems like "Tesla" needs to lighten up.

Post Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:25 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

I am sure it will get tossed out since the show is more of a gossip show than a "real" car review show lol. It is more entertainment than anything. The moped tour of Vietnam is by far my all time favorit episode....!

Post Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:07 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

I watched the show and I think that tesla is overblowing the negative comments.

Here's some commentary from one of the top gear guys:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article5483422.ece

Post Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:31 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brules
M F C E O

Oh, and I can never forget a letter sent by the public-relations man at BMW to The Sunday Times saying that my dislike of BMWs had nothing to do with their drivers’ pushy attitude, their silly sunglasses, their awful short-sleeved shirts, their hair gel, their orange wives, their awful houses, their fondness for golf and their membership of the Freemasons, and everything to do with the fact I had a garage full of free Jaguars.

Epic Clarkson. I love Top Gear. Thanks for making me watch episodes at the LAN so long ago 7!

Post Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:13 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

I do not have silly sunglasses! Razz

Post Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:06 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Goahed Makemyda
Thursday Night Massacre Host

Ummm...OK, but what about the disco shirt dude?

So electric cars are never going to hit the market in a timely manner, mostly because there are no manufacturers taking it seriously enough to make it a reality. But there is one great solution out there until they do.... CNG.

The problem is, it is almost impossible to figure out how to convert a reasonably new but not brand spanking new vehicle. I have been working to find a place that will convert something like a 2009 Chevy Tahoe that has E85 capability. I realize that they can be converted when brand new by a place in Okarche, but they won't touch anything with over 10K miles on it. They claim it could cause issues on older or higher mileage vehicles. I call BS because it would seem that if the vehicle had a reliable valve train and the cylinders were in good shape, it should be no problem. I think they are just in it to sell new Tahoe's considering the same place is also connected to Carter Chevrolet. I'm not shelling out $57K for a new Tahoe and another $12K for the CNG conversion. A $70K Chevy is NOT in my future just to pay $1.39 for CNG instead of $4 for gas.

I also know that you have to sacrifice the spare tire in order to have a dual fuel system. No problem. The spare could either be stowed in the cargo area or mounted to the luggage rack, or even left at home when driving around town. I have towing insurance. They can deal with flats Smile

So does anyone have any information on where to get a Tahoe in generally good condition and relatively new converted to CNG right now? I'm ready to go. I even found a '99 model under $30K and under 30K miles.

Post Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:55 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

The new gas station on Memorial between Portland and May has CNG, and e85, and 93, and a bunch of other weird mixes. Great station and I'm glad it's on my side of town.

On the top gear topic, I was very surprised that Tesla would go after Top Gear. TG is, from what I've heard, the most popular television show in the world, with more viewers than any other television show. I can't speak for every viewer but I take TG very personally and anyone that would sue them for doing what they do can kiss my ass. I had a lot of respect for Tesla (both for having a really cool name, and for being the first to bring a functional performance electric vehicle to the market) but I lost all of it when I found out about this lawsuit.

Post Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:44 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

I'm not sure that that particular article really shines the best light on the situation as I've been following it for awhile now.

Clarkson and Top Gear fully admit that almost all of Tesla's claims were true, even the staging of pushing the Tesla off the track, despite the range claim and Top Gear was adamant that their metric was more accurate since it is advertised as a supercar and should have a racing metric. That alone tells me that if they admit what they did they were purposefully sensationalizing alot of the stuff for the sake of the "show" and not real information. Seeing as what Sevnn said is fully true about Top Gear's public presence Tesla chose the best route to show the public that they build a quality product and that Top Gear was purposefully making crap up to make a funnier episode.

I fully understand that Top Gear is an objective show and everything should be taken with a grain of salt. It helps alot that most of the time I agree with the three on the show and love their brand of humor.

Post Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:41 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

but then again they say and do alot of things to all car makes. Just look at the abuse VW, Fiat, Alpha, BMW, Audi, Ford, Chevy, etc etc have received. No other company has gone after TG for it...Tesla is the only one with butt hurt feelings. Maybe they should go talk to Steve Jobs about being butt hurt. Razz

Post Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:43 am  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

VinceVaughn wrote: but then again they say and do alot of things to all car makes. Just look at the abuse VW, Fiat, Alpha, BMW, Audi, Ford, Chevy, etc etc have received. No other company has gone after TG for it...Tesla is the only one with butt hurt feelings. Maybe they should go talk to Steve Jobs about being butt hurt. Razz

Being opinionated against the company is different than just making untrue claims and purposefully staging breakdowns that never happened.

Post Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:03 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

So I was pear halved and decided I would babbling brook a Joe Blake. I didn't have Joe Blake so I had to run the cherries all over to Joe Brown. Just me Donald Duck, the jam jar wouldn't scapa flow and I had to ball of chalk to shabby. My plates of meat burt reynolds and I appear to have lost the dancing fleas to the gates of rome. Now to draw a ship in a full sail and rest my Emma Freuds.

Post Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:53 am  View user's profile Send private message
Menos
Broke My Labia

what the frak? LC you on some good stuff?

Post Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:42 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

I was just flopping out my cockney

Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:30 pm  View user's profile Send private message

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: