FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > HTPC audio issue

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Bungle
I rubbed it with a soft towel...

HTPC audio issue  Reply with quote  

I have my HTPC running via HDMI to my Denon tuner. I cannot seem to get the subwoofer to play audio while listening to itunes or some of the web streaming audio video.
Any ideas?
I am using windows 7

Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:23 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

hmmmm....I avoided the HDMI sound thing on my HTPC and just ran the audio separate from the HDMI.

I do remember reading some things on audio bit streaming that the newer video cards are capable of.....Could you let us know your system specs....particularly what video card you are using?

Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:46 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Souper Phly
Junkie

You might check and see if your reciever has a surround emulation mode. Mine will put out the exact same signal you put in unless you set to emulate ie stereo signals from mp3's and youtube will be left and right channel only no center or sub.

Post Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:56 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
blu
Step on my cubes.

A digital audio signal contains specific audio for all 5.1 or 7.1 speakers. It is sending a specific feed to the sub, not just finding the bass out of the left and right channels and feeding that to the sub.

There are many ways to combat this, all of which have requirements.

1. Have a receiver that is capable of emulating surround sound and splitting up the left and right channels to all 5.1 or 7.1 channels. This is pretty uncommon. Usually, a nice receiver will be able to take a left and right analog signal and emulate full surround, but not take a digital signal with only left and right audio and emulate full surround.

2. Have a receiver that is capable of using an internally set crossover frequency to send bass to the sub and higher freq. to the satellite speakers (still would be only left, right, and sub in your case.)

3. Have a sub that has front inputs and outputs and a crossover freq setting for extracting the bass out of the front left and right signals (still would be only left, right, and sub in your case.)

4. Have the computer software/hardware that will be able to create a digital audio signal that has surround emulation and send out a full 5.1 digital signal.

In my setup, I have found a mix of 3 and 4 to be my favorite.

My Klipsch sub has front left and right inputs/outputs and a crossover freq that allows it to "suck" bass out of the front signals. This is good for front left and right and sub, but doesn't make any use of the other speakers when listening to music from a typical computer digital feed.

My HTPC setup includes a Sound Blaster Fatality that can do surround emulation and send 6 analog signals out with bass going to sub, and all 5 other speakers having appropriate levels and freq's. (Note: I have only found the cards that will do this analog, I have not ever found a card that will actually encode a digital audio signal in this way. Being able to output a dolby digital signal from a DVD or similar is entirely different than encoding one from scratch). Now, this is a long ways from a digital signal that is easy to put into a system, so there is another piece of hardware Creative sells that is needed to encode the separate analog signals to a digital signal capable of being decoded by your receiver. The one I have is called a Creative Home Theater Connect DTS-610.

With the DTS-610, you can take the analog feeds from the card, and encode a DTS signal that can be output via optical or coax that includes exactly what you want going to the speakers you want.

I would be happy to sell both my DTS-610 and my Fatality card, as I have switched to apple TVs for all my HTPC needs, if you want. I had all of this running via a windows 7 media center for several years.

Post Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:25 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Bungle

Thanks for the replies. Im gonna try these and get back to ya.

Post Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:29 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Bungle

For now its working to "emulate" surround sound. Thanks again for the tips. With the sub working the audio just seems to have more rounded sound.

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:25 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: