FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > Blu-Ray Player

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Menos
Broke My Labia

Blu-Ray Player  Reply with quote  

Any recommendations? I'm trying to spend less than $150 but I haven't really kept up with any of the specs. There are several at the $100 price point (LG, Sony, Vizio) but I don't really know much about them. I'm not really worried about the online services support (netflix, pandora, etc) since I am also getting a WD Live Plus for my networked media. It does all of that.

Post Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:21 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Why wouldn't you just buy a PS3 and have the networked media support, better blu-ray playback support than a $100 player and the obvious plus of having a PS3.

Post Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:23 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

Nikola wrote: Why wouldn't you just buy a PS3 and have the networked media support, better blu-ray playback support than a $100 player and the obvious plus of having a PS3.

Things may have changed, but in the past you would end up having to run TVersity or Orb or something to feed the PS3 transcoded video.

I have a Sony BDP-S570 and the DLNA video format support sucks! No DivX, no XviD, pretty much no AVI at all. As long as it's in DVD, VCD, or SVCD, you're good. APEX $50 crap from 2002 could play DivX :rolleyes:
From what I understand the PS3 has a little bit better support, but still nothing great.

The LG BD570 is a much better player in almost every way.
In fact pretty much all of the Samsung and LG units are great. Sony has just lost their frickin mind.

Post Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:02 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Menos
Broke My Labia

LC
Do you think something like the LG BD570 would eliminate the need for the WD Live Plus?

Post Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:42 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

LC is right about a transcoding feed for the PS3, but the programs you listed are the worst possible choices and represent a terrible user experience based on what I've dealt with. If you have networked media, you probably have a box that can transcode the video for you as well, doesn't really seem much different to me.

Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:33 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

Menos wrote: LC
Do you think something like the LG BD570 would eliminate the need for the WD Live Plus?

That depends on the formats and video sources you want to play. The WDTV Live Plus will play more video formats. The LG has more online streaming options.

This thread on AVSForum is for LG owners, might be worth a read:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1229543

There may be cheaper LG players with the format support you want. You just have to investigate and see.

With the way Sony has treated George Hotz and their customer base I will not recommend any Sony products.

Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:32 am  View user's profile Send private message
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

LightningCrash wrote: With the way Sony has treated George Hotz...

Just read up about this on wikipedia and it looks like an interesting bit of drama. The reversal of OtherOS was something I wasn't aware of and is a pretty shitty move by Sony. I own a PS3 and have never had the desire to run OO but it would be fun to do and was one of the factors I considered when buying the device. I was impressed by the company's initiative to allow customers to use the device in whatever way they intended.

As for the PS3 as a media device, it plays some video formats without issue but gives up on mkv containers so most HD content is difficult to handle. There are transcoding packages out there and I played with TVersity for a little while but I don't like that approach. I've done a bunch of codec installs and other hacks to try and get Windows Media Center to stream HD content to the PS3 but didn't have much luck and I hate jacking up my desktop to make it work.

My brother-in-law has owned most of the major network media player devices (including the WD) and has settled on the Boxee. He speaks very highly of it and says it has been the easiest to use, best performing, and most flexible of all the devices he's tried. I've set up the software on my wife's laptop for playing HD content to the TV and I've been very impressed with it. I fully intend to buy a retail Boxee in the very near future. If you aren't familiar with it, its the XBMC project gone retail. You can download their software for Windows/Mac/Linux or buy their hardware. They have an iPhone remote that works pretty well and it has played ANYTHING I throw at it. XVID, MKV, MP4, VOB, ISO, DVD folders, and the list goes on. Check it out at www.boxee.tv.

Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:18 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Menos
Broke My Labia

$200 for a boxee box? Ouch... but I like the idea of playing ISOs. That makes the ripping process easier.

Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:53 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

You can build a boxee with standard pc hardware, but I like the idea of purpose built hardware.

Post Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:10 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: