FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > Thinking about changing out my backup drives.

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Bobacus
Gov. Surplus FTW!

Thinking about changing out my backup drives.  Reply with quote  

So I've decided I'm going to replace my Drobo that is attached to my Mac pro that I use for Time Machine backups.

I'm thinking about getting these and using my 4 existing Seagate 1.5tb hdd's.

Controller

Cable

Enclosure

What do you guys think, I realize that the controller only does software raid, but since it will only be used for backups, I'm not too concerned. If I was to get a better controller, I would probably get this one, so that if I ever decided to get rid of my mac I could throw it in a PC for a good data store.

Post Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:48 pm  View user's profile Send private message
detox
Naaaaaah. NaaaaaFLAC.

just curious what you have on your mac that demands such a backup system.

Aside from that it looks pretty bad ass for sure.
SSD
3x Dell U2412 Monitors

Post Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:34 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Bobacus
Gov. Surplus FTW!

Basically my home file server w/ movies, music, and software.

If I remember correctly the price for those 3 items is about the same as what my Drobo originally cost, the only difference is better performance, and not being able to expand data storage on the fly, although since it's just a backup I really don't care too much.

I was thinking about it this morning, and decided that I really didn't need to end up w/ two different backups (I can be a little on the paranoid side somedays.) So I'm thinking once this comes out of backorder, to grab one and use it until I beef up my backups to where I can rotate the drives, at which point I will get a second one.

I was also thinking about getting a Sonnet eSata card to help speed the backups up, it's only $50, and it's rated at roughly 110mb/s read and write on raid 0.

Overall if you can't tell I'm just a little paranoid, and hate slow backups.

Post Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:27 pm  View user's profile Send private message
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

The Hipoint can expand on the fly

# Online Capacity Expansion (OCE) and Online RAID Level Migration (OLRM)

Post Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:08 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Bobacus
Gov. Surplus FTW!

Sweet, I was thinking that the raid 0 enclosure w/ the basic esata card would be my best bet for now. Once my media requirements grow, I may go ahead and upgrade to the external enclosure, maybe try to save up the funds for a 3xxx series highpoint controller so that I don't have to fiddle w/ software raid.

Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:50 am  View user's profile Send private message

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: