FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > IRL > American Top Gear on History Channel?

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

American Top Gear on History Channel?  Reply with quote  

So last Sunday I DVR'd "Top Gear" a new series on the history channel. I just heard a blurb-type 15 second spot for it on another channel and set the DVR for it and forgot about it. I was expecting it to be some years old repeat of a season of BBC's Top Gear. I finally got around to watching it just now. Wow was I surprised when I saw the opening and some american dude was trying to act all "Top Gear"-ish. I was thinking "wow they dubbed an american guy over the opening of the show!" WTF?? As it turns out this is a new "american version" of the British TV show and it was the first episode ever aired. There's three guys, there's a race track on a run way, they do stupid things. There's even a secret race car driver called, yup, you guessed it, "The Stig". There's a "Big star in a small car" segment with a lap time board. Theres a studio filled with people all standing around the presenters. Its the BBC show, but oh how its not.

Personally I thought it was utterly terrible. But what do I know. It just seems like the production quality was lacking. The hosts are trying too hard to be like the BBC guys but without the witty banter, dry humor, or quaint familiarity with each other. Its almost like they (separately) watched every episode of the original top gear and are trying too hard to be those guys and relate to each other. Their "stunt" they did this week was even the same as an old Top Gear episode. They tried to out run an attack helicopter. It almost made me sick watching it. Most importantly, when I watch the BBC guys, there are times that I'm laughing so hard at their comments and antics that I cry. I mean, the whole house can hear me. With this show, there was no comedic timing, there was no real friendship between the guys. Every "funny moment" seemed forced or rehearsed. I think I must have watched the entire episode with a look of disgust on my face.

Ugh.. utter fail. But thats just one Emu's opinion. Did anyone else catch it?

Post Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:28 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

I've been dreading the US version of the show ever since it was announced and then I was mortified when I saw the trailer for it a couple months ago. I've downloaded the episode but have avoided watching it since it came out... It's just not right.

Post Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:52 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

How about US TV production companies get a clue and make an O R I G I N A L TV show and quit copying hte brits. UK Top Gear is un-copyable! Retards!

I just wish UK Top Gear would air year round. Smile

Best UKTG ever has to be the moped ride across Vietnam. Pure epicness. Followed closely by the African trip and the Winter Olympics.

Post Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:15 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

No way, the best episode is definitely the Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust, and the most epic was definitely their trek across Bolivia.

Post Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:40 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

No way, Bloivia was cool and all, but no where near as epic funny as Vietnam! I laughed for 2 hours straight on that one!

Post Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:37 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

you think they would get the point when Top Gear Australia didn't go over the best.....sigh I had hopes but oh well....

Post Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:04 am  View user's profile Send private message

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: