FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > IRL > First Beach Pics of the Spill

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Atomm
Brules was better than me at BF2

First Beach Pics of the Spill  Reply with quote  

This is Orange Beach Alabama. It's right next to Gulf Shores. We were thinking about taking a vacation there next year. The beaches are suppose to be awesome, well, they were.....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/picture/2010/jun/14/bp-oil-spill-oil-spills#

If you have a digg acount, give this one a thumbs up. People need to see this.

http://digg.com/travel_places/Surf_s_Up_Oil_Spill

Post Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:34 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

That pic in the first link is both awesome and horrifying.

Post Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:24 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Link to the BP RoV's on site, shit is still spewing like a motherfucker. Watch the Enterprise ROV's, they are right on the BoP riser......

http://www.bp.com/genericarticle.do?categoryId=9033572&contentId=7062605

Post Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:35 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Many are estimating that the well is spewing as much as 50k barrels a day (NPR). Long way off from the 5k they were saying. I'm still not opposed to offshore drilling but shit like this cannot ever happen again and they need to figure this shit out.

Post Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:40 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brules
M F C E O

BOP totally failed. If it had worked, it would never have happened. I agree, they need to come up with a fool proof solution so it doesn't happen again.

And I hope whoever made the BoP gets sued into non-existance......

Post Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:43 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

A million off shore drilling wells and decades without incidents.......I would say that is a pretty good safety record....but yeah....this is starting to get a little nuts.....

Post Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:32 pm  View user's profile Send private message
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

VinceVaughn wrote: A million off shore drilling wells and decades without incidents.......I would say that is a pretty good safety record....but yeah....this is starting to get a little nuts.....

I'm not trolling, just wanna know where you got that number. Seems... unlikely. Also, there have been LOTS more spills. This one is just bad. I've been to 7 oil wells in my life where they are actively in the process of drilling/building/expanding wells. Every one of those well sites have had a spill. 7 of 7 not good. I know of one in northern Oklahoma that at this very moment has a couple hundred barrels of oil just soaking into the ground of a soybean field.

Post Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:56 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

I have a friend who has been in the oil business for decades and has some pretty good insight into the field....

Post Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:19 am  View user's profile Send private message
The.Real.Cast
Obama Lemming Looking for the Cliff

VinceVaughn wrote: I have a friend who has been in the oil business for decades and has some pretty good insight into the field....

over 13 million barrels of oil have spilled into the Delta. That’s the equivalent of one Exxon Valdez spill every year for 40 years

http://newsdesk.org/2010/06/niger-delta-oil-spills-dwarf-bp-exxon-valdez-catastrophes/

On the other hand, nobody really cares about Africa. I'm not saying that to be a dick, it's the truth.

Post Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:51 am  View user's profile Send private message
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

VinceVaughn wrote: I have a friend who has been in the oil business for decades and has some pretty good insight into the field....

A lot of offshore wells spilled crap after Katrina.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/were-there-no-oil-spills-from-katrina/comment-page-1/

Post Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:10 am  View user's profile Send private message
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Natural disasters not as evil as negligence I think.

And yeah, I think you're right about nobody (media) caring about Africa. Its a recursive problem. Media won't report on Africa because nobody cares, therefore people don't care.

Post Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:48 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Stealth
I Read Insults for Dummies & Still Fail.

and i don't care . . .

Post Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:02 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

This will fry your noodle and I have NO FUCKING CLUE why no one in the media mentions that this exact same type of spill HAS HAPPENED BEFORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixtoc_I_oil_spill

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:27 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

Brules wrote: This will fry your noodle and I have NO FUCKING CLUE why no one in the media mentions that this exact same type of spill HAS HAPPENED BEFORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixtoc_I_oil_spill

"Prevailing currents carried the oil towards the Texas coastline. The US government had two months to prepare booms to protect major inlets."

Seems The Regan administration, in the 1980's, had some idea of what needed done to keep this from having an effect on Texas. Meanwhile The current administration just let it set for a month before they even raised an eye to it.

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:07 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

Seems The Regan administration, in the 1980's, had some idea of what needed done to keep this from having an effect on Texas. Meanwhile The current administration just let it set for a month before they even raised an eye to it.

Drix, You sir are a gentleman and a scholar..... Very Happy

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:46 pm  View user's profile Send private message
[FUKM] ICE COLD
lan party avoiding douche

I picked a kind of cool day to start watching the BP feeds.

Post Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:50 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

BP feeds are even better, though I am having issues with it crashing IE......watching them install the TH10 was pretty fucking amazing......now if they can just shut it off in the next few days and it not blow from pressure.

EDIT BY STAFF: My favorite admin power. Fixing spelling mistakes.

Post Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:05 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
nimda
Curator of art Faggory

issues with it crashing IE

your first mistake is using IE. tsk tsk.

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:51 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: