FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Gibberish > NetBook Help....

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Ranger283
Scrotal Sack Ninja

NetBook Help....  Reply with quote  

So I bought an Acer Aspire One Netbook 10.1 inch so I would have a small computer to carry in the car with me for my business and such. Well had it for 10 days and it has a power short or something, I know its under warranty but it was kinda an impulse buy I didn't really shop them around or compare different brands so I'm just gonna return it and then buy another one probably not an acer though. I was wondering if you guys had any recomendations or experiences with these...

Thanks!

www.speedyserving.com

Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:14 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

The Aspire One is one of the better 10 inch netbooks. The new EEE series however look much better. You may also consider the HP 1035nr. It is about the cost of the Aspire One and is a very solid machine as well. I know all about these bitches, so if there is a set of features you can present, I can probably tell you which best fits your desires. Also, I recommend you give any atom based netbook a wary eye, flash is sloooooow on them. Any of the Via or AMD netbooks are a little faster.

Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:12 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Ranger283
Scrotal Sack Ninja

Hmmmm who makes an AMD netbook???? I would be more interested in that cause flash is slow as shit!

www.speedyserving.com

Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:41 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Any of the Atom 270 netbooks are slow with Flash and 720p, but the Atom 330 equipped netbooks work pretty well.

Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:27 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

On windows maybe, I've only seen a 330 with linux.

Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:39 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Ranger283
Scrotal Sack Ninja

I can't find the Atom 330 Netbooks or any that have VIA or AMD processors, I know im dislexic and i prolly just spelt that wrong but help me out post some links. I was thinking about this one http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4782348&CatId=3987 but I really want to spend a lil more if I can get a much better system...

www.speedyserving.com

Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:47 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ranger283
Scrotal Sack Ninja

or maybe this one http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4439636&CatId=4241

www.speedyserving.com

Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:57 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

My wife has an Aspire One 8.6" and she likes it. Aside from no freaking tech docs for repairs, it's been good. I got her the 160GB hard disk instead of the flash.

If you've even remotely considered even trying Linux on it, go ahead and buy one of those $5 3945ABG cards I posted in Hot Deals.

I've seen Lenovo X60s/X61s refurbs down into the $400-500 range, what do you think about those?

Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:46 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

I bought an aspire one 8.6" for my wife but it had the 16GB flash instead of the 160GB HDD. The flash drive sucks ass because it is terribly slow. As in unusably slow. I ended up formatting the Windows XP that was loaded on it and put Ubuntu on it. Now at least you can use the darn thing without wanting to stomp it a la "Office Space" style. Too bad it took me like 30 minutes to install a simple HP printer driver on it. Not only having to download a crap ton of "dependencies", but Having to "make" your own drivers from multiple impossibly long command lines would be my guess as to why Linux hasn't caught on very much in the mom&pop desktop arena.

Code

sudo aptitude install --assume-yes libcupsys libcupsys2-dev cupsys-bsd libcupsys-dev build-essential gs-esp openssl libjpeg62-dev libsnmp5-dev libtool libusb-dev python-imaging python-qt4 python-qt4-dbus python-dev python python-reportlab sane libsane-dev sane-utils xsane

sudo aptitude install --assume-yes libcupsys2 cupsddk cupsddk-drivers libcupsys2-dev cupsys-bsd libcupsimage2-dev libdbus-1-dev build-essential gs-esp openssl libjpeg62-dev libsnmp-dev libtool libusb-dev python-imaging policykit policykit-gnome python-qt4 python-qt4-dbus python-dbus python-gobject python-dev python-notify python python-reportlab libsane libsane-dev sane-utils xsane

./configure --with-hpppddir=/usr/share/ppd/HP --libdir=/usr/lib64 --prefix=/usr --enable-qt4 --enable-doc-build --enable-cups-ppd-install --disable-foomatic-drv-install --disable-foomatic-ppd-install --disable-hpijs-install --disable-policykit --disable-cups-drv-install --enable-hpcups-install --enable-network-build --enable-dbus-build --enable-scan-build --enable-fax-build

make

sudo python ./installer/fix_symlink.py

sudo make install

I mean seriously... WTF??? To load a freakin printer driver?

I can only thank HP that they actually have the step by step instructions that OTHER PEOPLE posted on their website on how to make their Linux drivers work. I never would have come up with those paragraph long command lines on my own.

/rant

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:24 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
LightningCrash

That's HP's fault for having shitty drivers.
If I made you compile your own Windows drivers, you would shit a brick.

Brother printer:
-Download DEB file
-Open.
-Install.
-Start printing.

Somebody could have just as easily turned those commands into a short script that would do everything on your behalf instead of making you type them all in.

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:28 am  View user's profile Send private message
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Ranger, I'm having shitty luck finding any of the faster Atoms, and the AMD laptops are basically non-existant.

And Shinare, I know man. Some of the HP printers suck. Normally I can print to an HP printer with the preinstalled CUPS for linux. Interesting that you have one that wasn't supported out of the box.

And I love Brother printers for the very reasons that LC posted.

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:56 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Probably cuz its the Ubuntu Netbook Remix... would be a wild guess on my part anyway, heh. I really know very little about Linux except that its runnin like a top on that Netbook. (aside from the printer driver fiasco) My wife loves it. Much snappier on that crappy SSD than WinXP was.

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:30 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
LightningCrash

Shinare wrote: Probably cuz its the Ubuntu Netbook Remix... would be a wild guess on my part anyway, heh. I really know very little about Linux except that its runnin like a top on that Netbook. (aside from the printer driver fiasco) My wife loves it. Much snappier on that crappy SSD than WinXP was.

This is mostly because of the Shared Memory caching that Linux does. Vista emulated the idea with TurboBoost or whatever the hell it was.

If you have available RAM in Linux, and you access, say a 1MB file, Linux will cache that file in memory until it changes.
To the best of my knowledge, XP doesn't do jack fuck similar to this (out of the box anyway). I know it caches some DLL access, but I've yet to encounter any shared memory facilities of any kind in stock XP.

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:53 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Ranger283
Scrotal Sack Ninja

Yeah I can't find any of them either its okay though, I stopped by best buy today think im set on the asus Eee Pc like u recomended i palyed with it for awhile it seemed to run alot smoother then mine did and the design is a lil better too and its the same price..

www.speedyserving.com

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:08 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Just released today I believe...

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-U210-008US-12-1-Inch-Black-Netbook/dp/B002LZUHNW/ref=pd_cp_pc_1

AMD powered MSI Netbook. If it's anything like the Wind U100 I had then it's a great little machine that's well put together.

Post Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:57 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
LightningCrash

Nikola wrote: Just released today I believe...

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-U210-008US-12-1-Inch-Black-Netbook/dp/B002LZUHNW/ref=pd_cp_pc_1

AMD powered MSI Netbook. If it's anything like the Wind U100 I had then it's a great little machine that's well put together.

Er, you can get Lenovo X60s/X61s refurbs for that price, man!

Post Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:47 am  View user's profile Send private message

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: