FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Games > SecuROM and why I hate it.

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

SecuROM and why I hate it.  Reply with quote  

All the sudden after installing windows updates, I can no longer play any games that use SecuROM.

HOOORAY!

Fuck DRM

I've spent the last 2 hours removing games and I am now trying to remove SecuROM. All this so I can reinstall SecuROM in order to play Fallout 3. I'd be better off if I stole the fucking game.

Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:28 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Killaholic
2173 Posts and still a shitty title!

That is BS Microsoft would do that.

Last edited by Killaholic on Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:30 am  View user's profile Send private message
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Wrong disc inserted.
Please insert the original "Fallout 3" CD/DVD.
Please have a look at http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=wrongdisc for further, more detailed information.

Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:31 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

I actually own Fallout 3 and use the torrented version for that very reason. Smile

Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:55 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

I figured out what caused it. Windows update moved a SecuROM registry entry. I'm still pissed off.

Everyone that is at fault:

Microsoft, how many other people did this affect? Why the hell is your update moving registry entries of other applications?

Bethesda, people who steal your game are not customers. You do not need to take any action in regards to these people but prosecute those illegally distributing and/or profiting from illegal sales of your game. Punishing users by weighing them down with DRM is bullshit. I don't mind entering a product key, but requiring physical media to play a game is bullshit. I should be able to install it and then play from then on. This is not a PlayStation, game data is not loaded from the disc during play.

SecuROM, because your shitty product broke my computer. I couldn't get any CD to read until I removed your software from my computer. Your shitty removal tool DID NOT remove all of your software. The software abstraction layer that sits on top of my Disc Drive driver broke my shit when your product failed.

All three of you owe me 5 hours of my time back. I charge $65 (USD) an hour. When can I expect my check?

Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:24 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
detox
Naaaaaah. NaaaaaFLAC.

If you call MS after you install an update that breaks stuff, they waive the $250 charge and fix the issue.

I know it's lame to call THE MAN but in that case it probably would have saved you hours.
SSD
3x Dell U2412 Monitors

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:06 am  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

That's cool. Do they do this for my action pack copy?

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:07 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
detox
Naaaaaah. NaaaaaFLAC.

they did when I was a net admin as long as I was the registered purchaser.
SSD
3x Dell U2412 Monitors

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:45 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: