FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Games > World of Warships Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

World of Warships  Reply with quote  

Is anyone else playing World of Warships? It's pretty much the only game I've been playing lately (besides Clicker Heroes) and I LOVE it. It is based on the same engine as World of Tanks, and is absolutely beautiful. Game play is fast enough to not get boring and long enough to not be a twitch fest. It was closed beta and recently opened up for the public.

Most of the ships are either US or Japanese and cover destroyers, cruisers, battleships, and carriers. There is no, nor will there be any submaries... it just wouldn't fit the gameplay and you'll understand that once you play. Progression in the game is done for each of the 4 ship types and for each of the two factions. For instance, you start with a US and Japanese cruiser. After getting enough experience (about 3-4 decent games) you get a tier 2 cruiser for that faction.

Each tier is progressively longer than the one before it, but the ships get to be very good pretty quickly. The T4 US cruiser is a ton of fun. Tier 2 cruisers unlock destroyers. Tier 3 cruisers unlock battleships. Tier 4 battleships unlock carriers. Once you go into one of those branches the leveling is specific to that branch only. So once you get into the battleship branch, you don't have to level cruises anymore, but I would recommend you do.

Games are matched up and down 2-3 tiers so you are reasonably well matched even when a lot of people aren't playing. If a bunch of people are playing it will usually go up or down only 1 tier. The maps are mostly island based and you get about 12 players per team. I battle runs 15-30 minutes but they feel much faster than that. There is no respawn but you can watch the rest of the battle. If you leave the battle after dying you can't use the same ship until that battle is complete. This has a side-effect of pushing you into a couple ship types or factions.

I personally like the US cruisers the most but each has their own strengths, weaknesses, and play styles. There are also pay-for ships if you want them there are no pay walls in the game. The closest thing to a pay wall is the number of port slots you have. You can buy more but if you don't want to spend $ you can just sell ships you don't want to keep anymore and buy (with experience) other ships.

I play whenever I have time and my son wants to watch me play constantly. He can spot out most of the ships in game based off their silhouette and size. He usually knows what I'm shooting at before I know. The game has an overlay but the game gets intense and knowing the type of the ship is more important than the class.

I should be at the LAN tomorrow and will show off the game. I'm hoping you guys will want to join me. If you think you might, download and install the game now so you don't need LAN bandwidth.

There is a squad system that allows for 3 players and I can play any tier up to tier 5, so going down to T1/T2 to play on an equal level with you guys will be easy and fun for me. I can also drag you up from T1 into a T5+ battle if you want to see what happens when you bring a knife to a gun fight.

This is a recent screenshot I took of a New York (tier 5 US battleship) that was on fire:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/658609/World%20of%20Warships/worldofwarships-2015-07-26-03-19-40-92.jpg

Post Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:30 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
ClamHammer69
Sand Filter

God, Clicker Heroes is destroying my life.

Thought world of tanks was cool but for some reason couldn't seem to get into it. But per the op I will check WoW out...

lol WoW

Post Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:45 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

It is typically referred to as WoWS to avoid (reduce) confusion. I tried WoT and didn't enjoy it very much. I might now that I'm into WoWS but probably not. I've nothing but bad about World of Planes, but War Thunder looks interesting. It seems like a WWII based Arma with Tanks v Tanks while also allowing the option for planes fighting each other and/or bombing the tanks.

Edit: Moving the clicker heroes discussion to a new thread.

Post Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:45 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

I am playing it. I'm only up to second tier for Japan, but It is quite fun. Never was a fan of world of tanks or warplanes, but this is indeed a lot of fun.

Post Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:10 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

The Chikuma is a fun ship but the gun placement sucks and it will be raped repeatedly by a St. Louises. The Tenryu looks fun but I've not made it that far on the Japanese side.

Post Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:31 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
C
TheLetterShe

Hell yeah, glad other people I know are playing this. I'm going down the Japanese Battleship and Destroyer ship tech trees, I've made it to tier 3 so far. In game name is theletterC of course.

Post Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:13 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I'm in game as Sevnn. Drix, what are you under? I know we can division and I've also seen streamers have a friends list but haven't found out how to use it yet.

Japanese BBs get good pretty quick. I watched Izolate (a twitch streamer I enjoy) playing a Zao today and it was extremely impressive. He was getting 1-2 citadels per salvo and refire rate was great for a big cruiser. I also really enjoy watching Mejash if you are a twitch watcher.

Post Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:33 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

Drix013, same as usual, sir.

Post Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:23 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

I am downloading this game

Post Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:44 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brules
M F C E O

Dan will be the Tug Job Boat?

Post Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:14 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

(moving the new games thread about World of Warships here)

Goahed Makemyda wrote: I'll be willing to try it I guess, but it got a 1 star rating......

I honestly, and I say this with a lot of confidence, believe you would love this game. It plays a lot like a BF4 tank only battle but with lots of different varieties and capabilities of the tanks.

Brules wrote: How? its been a huge hit AFAIK.......everyone on Hardforums loves the shit out of it. And its kinda WWI'ish which everyone loves.

The ships span both WWI and WWII, broken out by tier. The lower tier ships are typically older designs with guns that don't hit as hard, slower moving ships, and less armor. As you level up the ships get faster, more armor, harder hitting guns, and more "features" such as scout/fighter planes, improved sonar, better AA, etc.

Drix wrote: I've been playing World of Warships as well, and can confirm it is fun. Numbers are a bit limiting, though. Pretty sure it limits parties to 3 or 4. I've been ill, so it's been a couple weeks since I touched it.

The largest grouping you can have is 3 people which does suck. I really hope they make that a larger number or allow for groups of groups. To get more than 3 to play together, you can have pretty good luck by queuing similar level ships at the same time. A lot of the streamers that want to play with viewers will countdown to clicking the Join button. They offset the countdown by the current delay of their stream. It hasn't worked for me when I'm trying to join with streamers I follow but they say it does work.

In regards to the levels, ships span 10 tiers. Most games have a 3-4 tier spread but that also depends on each tier. If you are a T1, you won't be put into a game with anything over a T3. T2 might play up to T4. As a T5 I've played T8s but it is very rare and only when there aren't a lot of people playing. As a T6 I've never been put up against a T9. T9 and T10 ships are the super powerful ships like the Yamato and Montana.

This can be overwritten though of if you are in a group and aren't picking similar tiered ships. For instance, if I played with some of you guys in T1 or T2 ships and I was in a T6, when we join it will balance us to what I would play as T6 and you would be "pulled up". A T2 vs a T8 is rape so you don't want to be in that situation. It is easily avoided by playing similar tiers when in group battle. If you were in a T2 ship, I would play something like my T3 St. Louis. I'm something of a ship collector (I'm sure no one who has seen my Steam library is surprised by this) so I still have all of my lower tier ships.

The ship classes play much like Tribes classes did. The Destroyers are the light armor class, super fast, very maneuverable, focus much of their damage with torpedoes, are hard to spot, and are very fragile with little to no armor. Cruisers are the medium armor version of Tribes, still fast and maneuverable, focus more on medium ranged guns, have more armor, can take a hit from cruisers and destroyers but not from battleships. Battleships are the heavy armor from Tribes, slow behemoths that can take and give out huge damage but offset slow refire rate for the shell damage.

Carriers play a different form of the game, mostly in an overlay map controlling their planes and allowing their ship to auto-pilot on a predetermined course of their choosing. The planes drop torpedoes, bombs, or are fighters to shoot down the enemies planes. Torpedo squadrons are the primary tool because they can drop a spread of 5 torps per pass assuming they haven't had any planes shot down. This mode is very similar to Battlefields commander view.

I play almost every evening for a little while so hit me up if you want to try it out. I'd be glad to show anyone the ropes.

Post Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:13 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Menos
Broke My Labia

I've been playing this for the last few days. I've tried searching for you guys with no luck.

Post Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:27 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

I only play this when others are. try IMing me on steam and I'll gladly launch it.

Post Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:24 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I play nearly every night, including right now. Send me a Steam message and I'll respond if I'm playing. Did you find me as a contact?

Post Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:05 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Goahed Makemyda
Thursday Night Massacre Host

I'll be playing this Saturday as will Bobacus and Electrified1 I imagine. My game name in this is Goahed_Makemyda

Post Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:27 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Fractured Space > WofW. Smile Better MOBA.

Post Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:06 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

Neither of those games is a MOBA...

I've been meaning to try FS though, I think most of it got it when it was free awhile back (at Sevnn's advice I believe) I'd be up for trying it out at the LAN.

Post Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:10 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

FS is kind of a MOBA. You pick diff ships, have lanes to protect, center power up to grab. Very MOBA'ish.

I love the hell out of it.

You can play a DPS, healer, tank, sniper etc.

Post Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:38 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

Yeah, haven't played it... They don't seem to promote it as a MOBA, more an RTS w/ shooter elements as far as what I've seen about it.

Still, looks like it could be fun, and 5v5 would work a lot better for a LAN than the screwy 3 player to a group system Warships uses.

Post Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:52 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Give it a try, once you get the hang of it and start to level up a bit it gets real fun.

Post Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:55 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page 1, 2  Next

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: