FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Modding > New Vidya Card

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

New Vidya Card  Reply with quote  

Just ordered an EVGA 960 GTX SS mini-itx. So I'll have me some decent video card action. Goodbye 8600GS!

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:36 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brules
M F C E O

Nice. Hope it comes with what it says it does on the box lol......

Fucking liars:

http://www.techpowerup.com/209339/gtx-970-memory-drama-plot-thickens-nvidia-has-to-revise-specs.html

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:39 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

apples and oranges....

960 is a nice card, was looking at the ITX version as well. Not as in buying one, but as in dreaming of one.

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:20 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

It was supposed to come in yesterday, but was delayed by weather. Its sitting in Dallas right now and I really wish I had it because I was going to use my free time this weekend to play a little Medieval Engineers. Oh well. Sad

Post Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:57 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

I got the card in yesterday and got it installed. I also added a new 3tb hdd for storage while I was at it. 500gb just wasn't cutting it anymore. Smile

I was able to play Wreck Fest and Medival Engineers without issue. Good times all around.

Post Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:58 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Brules, the Anandtech write up on the Nvidia 970 Spec issue is quite informative and I suggest you check it out: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8935/geforce-gtx-970-correcting-the-specs-exploring-memory-allocation

tl;dr: Nvidia lied or didn't lie we'll probably never know for sure, potential for memory allocation problems causing performance issue, in those scenarios the card is still faster than a 3.5 GB card going to PCIe, and they have been unable to find a single instance where the card's memory allocation causes a performance hit, the other performance shortcomings of the card will hit before memory bandwidth becomes an issue, conclusion: the 970 is just as good now as we initially said it was.

Post Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:40 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Yeah, I think they did it so it wouldn't perform as well as the 980......bunch of fuck sticks still for doing it.

Post Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:46 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

The difference between the 980 and the 970 is in the GPU core, not the memory. So that makes no sense.

Post Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:54 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

From what I understood, the GPU is slower regardless of the memory bus so it wouldn't have performed as well. Maxwell has the new ability to turn off some of the memory control units but still access the memory behind them by sharing that access with the next memory controller. This is slower but allowed them to make the card with 4GB of ram instead of 3.5GB. Most games won't need the full 4 and you won't see any negative impact from the slower 512MB. In the case when you do, their drivers determine what should go where and how to best read/write to that shared memory.

It is common place for manufacturers like Intel and Nvidia to sell "disabled" chips at a lower price. What this really means is they try to make chips with all the features in them but not all work properly. If they have a chip with part of it broken, they disable that section and run it as a lower featured product.

Post Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:32 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Anreill

Sevnn wrote: From what I understood, the GPU is slower regardless of the memory bus so it wouldn't have performed as well. Maxwell has the new ability to turn off some of the memory control units but still access the memory behind them by sharing that access with the next memory controller. This is slower but allowed them to make the card with 4GB of ram instead of 3.5GB. Most games won't need the full 4 and you won't see any negative impact from the slower 512MB. In the case when you do, their drivers determine what should go where and how to best read/write to that shared memory.

It is common place for manufacturers like Intel and Nvidia to sell "disabled" chips at a lower price. What this really means is they try to make chips with all the features in them but not all work properly. If they have a chip with part of it broken, they disable that section and run it as a lower featured product.

Pretty much. Memory performance on the 900 series cards is supposed to be relatively close across the board, with the chip being the difference between models. And yeah, that's usually how chips work out. They manufacture them, test them, those that pass the "980 test" are labelled as such, those that fail it but pass the "970 test" are labelled as such, etc down the line. Even with the weird memory allocation thing the 970 performs just as well as people said it did. It'll do 60fps 1440p in most things just fine, which is what it's always been recommended for. The only game I even have that has the potential to get into that last 512MB is Skyrim with a bunch of graphical mods, so I'm quite happy with my 970.

The stink with the 970 was that originally they didn't allocate things quite right. You'd have stuff the card uses for various things sitting in the lower end of the memory, which would push people running high settings at high resolution into that last 512MB. They've since patched it so that the stuff the card uses that doesn't need the faster memory sits there and it's less likely to get used.

But still, Brules just likes to come up with random baseless reasons to be sandy. Razz

Post Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:16 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

Anreill wrote: But still, Brules just likes to come up with random baseless reasons to be sandy. Razz

Yes, and it is why he has surpassed me as the king of sand. löl

Post Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:03 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
detox
Naaaaaah. NaaaaaFLAC.

so should i buy the 970 or 980?
SSD
3x Dell U2412 Monitors

Post Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:01 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Anreill

Depends on how much you want to spend and your setup. If your sig is correct and you're using the monitors as a surround setup, the 970 should be able to drive it with most settings turned up, but you may have to sacrifice AA, AO, or something else to get 60fps constant. 980 could probably do it at max. But it's $200 more.

Post Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:15 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

detox wrote: so should i buy the 970 or 980?

Yes. For small items like this it's better to buy rather than rent or lease them.

Post Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:53 pm  View user's profile Send private message
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

$200 is the magic price performance ratio for me. I ha my previous card for half a decade. I'll probably have this one just as long.

Post Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:39 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brules
M F C E O

3 years for me and I will spend in the $350ish range.

Though I may be looking to move to a 980 soon - running at 1440p puts a hurt on my 970 lol.

Post Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:30 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: