FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > VM Hypervisor

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Menos
Broke My Labia

VM Hypervisor  Reply with quote  

Hypervisor of choice?

Thinking of rebuilding my main home server and seriously thinking of running everything as VM. We run Xen at the office and I've played with ESXi before. Do any of the solutions out there allow the presentation of physical disks directly to the VM?
I'll probably run 3 VMs or so on my i5/16gb host so nothing insane. The key is going to be whether I can run flexraid on one of the VM's and it see the physical disks.

Post Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:02 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Menos
Broke My Labia

Ok, apparently the flexRAID guys have a complete walkthrough of using ESXi and flexraid. Might have to look at that.

Post Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:05 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Keep us updated, I'm very curious how it works out.

Post Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:45 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Give me access.

Post Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:49 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Menos
Broke My Labia

Not going as well as I hoped. The SATA expander I am using is not supported by ESXi. Gonna look at Xenserver tomorrow. May just order a compatible SAS card.

Post Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:05 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

Re: VM Hypervisor  Reply with quote  

Menos wrote: Hypervisor of choice?

Thinking of rebuilding my main home server and seriously thinking of running everything as VM. We run Xen at the office and I've played with ESXi before. Do any of the solutions out there allow the presentation of physical disks directly to the VM?
I'll probably run 3 VMs or so on my i5/16gb host so nothing insane. The key is going to be whether I can run flexraid on one of the VM's and it see the physical disks.

I run ESXi at home. I put Sophos UTM as my firewall/router.

I pass through an RDM (individual disk) to my file server VM, which runs Ubunter + ZFS.
If you have VT-d or IOMMU on the chipset then you can pass the HBA through to the VM directly. Unfortunately the consumer coverage for VT-d seems to be pretty low.

You may be able to find someone who has made ESXi drivers for non-HCL devices.

Post Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:10 pm  View user's profile Send private message

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: