FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > IRL > Interstellar Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Interstellar  Reply with quote  

GO SEE IT NOW

Post Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:13 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

LOL plan to. Smile

I take it it's good?

Post Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:52 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I just got back from seeing it for the fourth time. And yes, it is that good, my favorite movie of all time.

Post Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:47 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

I think Sevnn's assessment is close, but Interstellar is not quite that good. Though I too have seen it four times...

Post Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:18 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

I was actually disappointing the movie wasn't just mathew mcconaughey sitting there telling a story for 3 hours. Though, I am equally disappointed in every movie in this regard.

Post Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:20 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I do love the scenes between him and John Lithgow, but I love all the scenes in the movie. I've tried hard, very hard, to find things wrong with it. There are a few but they are more open questions rather than issues. I see areas that some might not enjoy the same way I do, but that makes me like the movie even more.

For example, the soundtrack is mixed very hot on the music side. I've read that some viewers have complained that the dialog is hard to understand in some parts due to the music level. I didn't struggle understanding the dialog but I understand why they think that. However, the music is central, probably the strongest factor in what makes the movie so good. The music is incredible, well thought out, emotional, invoking, and enveloping. Nolan and Zimmer wanted the viewer the music to "... wash over you, like you are on a boat traveling down a river with no control over the boat, you are along for the ride ..." and the succeeded at that. I've listened to the soundtrack for the last week solid, nothing else. I rarely if ever buy music, but I bought two different versions of the soundtrack, its that good.

I hope to see it a couple more times over the next week. If anyone decides to go see it at AMC Quail Springs let me know and I'll try to join you. It is pretty easy for me to get to the 9:50 PM showing during the week, but it depends on the day.

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:16 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

lol, I basically feel the same way you do about Space Odyssey.

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:19 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brules
M F C E O

If it's not Blade Runner, it's crap.

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:48 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

2001 is an incredible movie and Kubrick paved some amazing ground when he made it. I struggle to truly enjoy it though as it grows tiresome and boring in some phases. I know Kubrick intended that, he wanted you to feel the vastness of space.

Blade Runner is a great movie with amazing scenes but it does hold a candle IMO to Interstellar.

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:47 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Sevnn wrote: ... I've read that some viewers have complained that the dialog is hard to understand in some parts due to the music level. ....

This is one of two big problems I have with movies these days, unfortunately. I have genetic hearing loss (substantial) in my left ear that "amplifies" this problem. Loud music is not a problem, but loud music when you also need to hear talking is.

The other is the excessive use of "shaky cam" filming techniques (and twitch zooming in and out) to get you "into the action". Just gives me a frontal lobe headache and seasickness, heh.

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:59 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I get that Shinare and I've complained about a lot of movies lately using music to create artificial suspense at the expense of dialog. In the case of Interstellar though, it has purpose and the dialog that is lost is often much less important than the effect provided by the music.

Do you watch subtitled movies at home? My wife has significant hearing loss and struggles in most every movie she sees to understand the dialog. She has developed an ability to lip read well enough to make up for a lot of the loss, but we watch everything in subtitles at the house. I've grown used to it and miss it even though I can hear the dialog just fine (as long as the music isn't mixed too hot).

When we go to AMC, and if I remember to do it, I'll grab one of their little subtitle readers. You stick it in the cup holder, bend the arm to the right place, sync it to the theater you are in, and you get all the dialog in subtitles. We did this on Friday night for my 5th watch of Interstellar. I was very focused on her interaction during the movie and hoped she'd enjoy it even a fraction to the level that I do. She was able to follow most of the movie without the screen but when an actor would turn from the camera I would see her look down to see what was being said. I pointed to the subtitle screen a few times in the movie when I knew the dialog was going to move faster or have funny/critical information.

FWIW, I focused on the subtitles given that I had seen it 4x already and was curious how much dialog I had missed or misunderstood. There were only a few words in the movie that I hadn't understood properly and only 1 line that I didn't hear well enough to even have a guess at it.

For those who are considering taking their significant others, she cried through most of the movie, was super focused, and loved it.

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:47 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

My rule of thumb is if it involves time travel, it is crap.

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:03 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Brules wrote: My rule of thumb is if it involves time travel, it is crap.

*gasp*

Divergent, Interstellar, Transcendence, Inception... All movies I want to see but havent... and all with a single word as a Title... heh

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:27 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Sevnn wrote: ...
Do you watch subtitled movies at home? ...

No, I just have the center channel cranked up a little, heh. Its really only a problem when, like you said, its music is "mixed too hot" which I totally know what you are talking about.

I didn't even know you could get subtitle things at theaters, heh. I will have to try that some time just cuz. Smile

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:30 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

And for my third post in a row:

Sevnn wrote: ... on Friday night for my 5th watch of Interstellar....

WOW! Shocked

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:35 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

In regards to my post, see Star Trek as my evidence........

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:54 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Brules wrote: In regards to my post, see Star Trek as my evidence........

Star Trek IV was probably my favorite, maybe second to the undiscovered country. But First Contact was way up there too.

PS> If you are referring to the "Reboot Films", those don't exist.

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:06 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

ST has had to resort to time travel so often, it is like you expect it now.........

And if you like 4 over II - something is wrong with you!!!!!!!!! Fucking WHALES over KHAN? SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?!?!

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:26 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

I also dislike loud music during dialog. But what really gets my goat is constant camera angle shifting cuts during action sequences.

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:41 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Plunk wrote: I also dislike loud music during dialog. But what really gets my goat is constant camera angle shifting cuts during action sequences.

Exactly my point with the "shaky cam" technique described above. Very annoying.

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:27 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page 1, 2  Next

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: