FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > Imaging PCs... thoughts

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Imaging PCs... thoughts  Reply with quote  

Just sitting here endlessly imaging PCs with DRBL Clonzilla server and thought I would drop a topic for discussion. I've noticed after literally hundreds of PC images, a couple of things:

1) On completely identical Dell hardware you can notice, and even quantify, a definite difference in "speed" of the PCs. Not just "feel" like there is a difference, but sit and time how long automated tasks take. Makes me think that when you buy a PC, even if you get the best hardware, you may not begetting that "A+" reviewed hardware you thought you were. The variance in time can be pretty large. For instance, rebooting after applied windows updates can take 30 seconds to a minute longer on a machine than the majority of others.

2) Speaking of applying updates, again on completely identical hardware, same image being loaded to both, Windows update will report different numbers of "required" updates needed when checked. Very strange.

*shrug* just some thoughts....

Post Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:46 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

That is strange.....all the images should be exactly the same, especially if the hardware boxes are identical. Have you cracked any open to see if all the HD's are the same?

Post Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:15 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I think there are a lot of factors that go into machine operation that happen under the covers and we are never aware of them unless we get out the magnifying glass. Could be bad ram that is auto-correcting with ECC, HD sectors that are bad but known by the system and avoided, or other components that are "self-healing" and quiet about their own issues.

Post Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:08 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

At my last job we bought 1000 PCs. About halfway through the production run they switched from Seagate drives to something else. The something else drives sucked. Encryption took 8+ hours instead of 3-4.

Windows update sucks. Use Altiris, it's dirt cheap for the State agencies.

Post Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:12 pm  View user's profile Send private message
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

As a guy who has setup a metric shit ton, I regularly have 3+ new machines where I can tell one is slower than the others.

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:06 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: