FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > IRL > Renewing SSN's?

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Renewing SSN's?  Reply with quote  

As I was sitting here thinking about the two new hacks announced today (SnapChat and Dairy Queen) the thought occurred to me... I wonder if we all shouldn't just change our credit/debit card numbers annually or on some other routine basis. Then I thought, why not SSN as well?

Discuss...

Post Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:53 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Menos
Broke My Labia

Don't think there are enough possible combinations to do that unless you started reusing numbers.

Post Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:06 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

You can only change your SSN once TMK.

Post Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:52 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Menos wrote: Don't think there are enough possible combinations to do that unless you started reusing numbers.

Perhaps they start using alphas as well? (and thereby piss off every programmer and database administrator ever born)

Post Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:15 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Plunk wrote: You can only change your SSN once TMK.

Suckage.,..

Post Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:15 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

Shinare wrote:
Perhaps they start using alphas as well? (and thereby piss off every programmer and database administrator ever born)

Maybe they could use the base16 of the number instead

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:20 am  View user's profile Send private message
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

The only thing a base16 would do over alphas would be reduced computing storage needed and with modern computers who gives a damn about that, and reduced confusion between character recognition (zero vs O) but those are also easily solvable by removing certain characters from use. Alphas would allow for a significantly higher number of available values without increasing the length of the character string.

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:37 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

I kind of assumed the number of possible values would be extended along with a move to the encoding. If you added 3 digits to the number it wouldn't add a lot to the base16 encode. The reasoning for base16: I was thinking more from the standpoint of easy input validation, which programmers often forget.
Kind of ironic really.

They've issued about 450-something million SSNs out of a possible 740-something million. Maybe it would be a good time to move to something else altogether.

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:38 pm  View user's profile Send private message
blu
Step on my cubes.

I use base 62 numbers fairly regularly for my encrypting, but I might be the only one.

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:33 pm  View user's profile Send private message

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: