FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Games > Space Engineers Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Space Engineers  Reply with quote  

Is anyone else playing this? Brules and I have been playing on an OKGG server and having a ton of fun. I have enjoyed playing Minecraft but after a build I always look at what I've done and get bored in about 10 seconds. With SE I can get in what I've built and fly around, mine rocks with it, shoot people, run into their shit they've worked on, etc. It is a much better sandbox than Minecraft IMO. If you are on the fence you really should try it.

Post Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:43 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Digitaldreamer7
pwn3d

Tyler, brules, and I have been playing. The OKGG server thats up is hosted on a server in my closet. I didn't know people other than us were using it, ill keep on the updates.

Post Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:06 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

Yeah Svenn tried to blow up our ship last night that has ben our temp base while we mine whore the roids......it was quit funny.

He has not mastered conveyor tubes......

Post Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:48 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Last night was both the most intense and most fun I've had in SE yet. I converted the big red home ship to have a conveyor system that got ore through a collector in one of the nacelles. My big ass mining vessel had a conveyor system and a connector that was above the collector when I landed and attached to the nacelle using landing gear. When I turned on the connector on my ship it would dump ore into the collector. This was awesome but SLOW AS HELL, like 135 ore/sec and I had about 2 million units to offload.

I researched and found that you can use 2 connectors on different ships to combine conveyors from 2 vessels. I swapped out the collector with a connector and raised it to meet the connector on my ship. A few seconds later big portions of my ship start disappearing and a HUGE chunk of rock appears in the hole. The nacelle was almost completely hollowed out by the rock, my ship was tossed upwards and out of control, and the big red base was falling off the map at a couple meters per second.

I was able to stabilize my vessel as I reported the loss of the red base to Brules. After my ship was stable I threw myself in the direction of the base now a few hundred meters away and still falling. When I arrived I got into one of the chairs, checked to ensure that the stabilizers were on (they were) and tried to determine how to arrest the fall. I quickly realized that both Brules and I had cannibalized a few of the engines on the ship because "it will never fly again". With the stabilizers on and the fall continuing I thought that we must have grabbed all the bottom engines and tried to rotate the ship so the big engines on the back could stop us. After rotating the behemoth 90 degrees to the aft, it wasn't slowing down. I knew we took a few engines off the back of the base but I thought it still had the big engines. What I didn't realize was Brules had turned them off to conserve reactor power.

I decided that the only remaining course was to try and build new engines so I jumped out of the chair and headed for the reactors. When I got to them to pull materials they kept leaving me since I had my stabilizer turned on. I quickly went to the other side of the reactor (the side towards the fall) and they ran into me and kept me close enough for me to get an inventory window. I grabbed all the materials I thought I needed, prayed I remembered correctly, and headed for the engines. Brules was in chat trying to tell me to just turn on the big engines but I didn't see the messages until I was done building new engines. Once built the small engines arrested the fall and I was able to stabilize the ship.

Sorry for the long story but it was all very intense, fun and I felt worth sharing to show one of the aspects of the game: "any small force acting upon something can cause your plans to spiral out of control quickly".

After getting the base to a new asteroid, rebuilding some of it including the conveyor system, and looking at the connectors again, I was able to determine that the connector must be "external" of the ship and not flush with other surfaces. With this knowledge I was able to get the mining ship connected to the main base and transfer ore instantly. A cool bonus of connectors is you can move ore/materials and handle assembly queues from your ship's console if the connector is locked. This means you can mine, return, dock, transfer ore, queue it in refineries, queue builds, undock, and go back to mining without ever leaving your super comfy space chair.

Digi, what speed connection is the server running on? Are you doing any form of backups of the world file? We were reset a couple days ago, is that going to happen again? I ask because I'm thinking about setting up a server at my house on my big fat cox pipe.

Post Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:18 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Digitaldreamer7
pwn3d

i've got a business pipe. 10 up and 50 down. I'm running it on a HP Proliant DL360 G6 with dual quad core xenon processors and 16gb ram on a windows server 2012 platform. I've only been doing resets and such when anriell and I wanted to try different mods, if you all are actively doing stuff on it I won't touch it anymore other than updates when the devs update things (which has been pretty often since it's early access) but that won't cause a reset. The world is auto saved every 20 minutes and client force save is enabled as well. The worlds are stored locally in the windows programdata folder. All the data is backed up nightly.

Post Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:33 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

Its been running well. Thanks for the host.

7 get that big red pile of shit fixed up before I recycle the whole thing, it is like a white trash yard art at the base lol.........

Post Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:32 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Digitaldreamer7
pwn3d

There's an update downloading now, i'll patch the server

Post Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:26 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Digitaldreamer7
pwn3d

Patched and back up

Post Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:36 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

Another update came out today......is there not a server auto update feature I guess?

Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:17 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Digitaldreamer7
pwn3d

Not built in to the server, no. I do it via command line. Steamcmd. Ill be able to remote in shortly

Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:28 pm  View user's profile Send private message
C
TheLetterShe

Is this server still up?

Post Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:10 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

The OKGG server, if up, takes a long time to show up in the server browser. Filter for "okgg" and give it 2-3 minutes to finishing pinging all the servers before it will show up.

Post Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:05 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Locutus918
Sand Filter

Would love to join you all sometime when your on

Post Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:18 pm  View user's profile Send private message
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

I'll join in on this. Is this still up? If not I'll put a server up.

Post Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:01 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I have the server hardware sitting under my desk but haven't had time to get it going yet. It takes a lot of single core performance to run well. Have you tried the game yet? I'd re commend starting on a few of the easy starts to get the basics down.

Post Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:39 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

I've played it before. I just did one of the easy starts again and realized that I need to do more of them again. Smile

I have a I7 machine with SSD sitting on a google fiber connection with nothing better to do.

Post Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:44 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Clock speed on the i7? My server is a 3.6 that boosts to 3.8. It sucks that it is clock dependent but its the nature of their physics engine. They are moving more segments of non-physics logic off the primary thread but that is taking them time.

Post Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:40 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Yeah if they can get it optimized it will be great, until then, you can easily OL the server and becomes a hell of a mess.

Post Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:22 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sagz
Jaeger Bomb!

How is this compared to Elite Dangerous? Eve? I play Elite regularly and its HUGE in scope. asking for a freind. Laughing

Post Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:23 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Its Minecraft in space with Physics, better less blocky graphics and you have to actually design stuff.

If 7 ever gets a server up, we could play together..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Smile

I enjoy it a LOT.

Post Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:24 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page 1, 2  Next

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: