FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > IRL > My Big Bend and McDonald Observatory Trip !BIG PICTURES!

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

My Big Bend and McDonald Observatory Trip !BIG PICTURES!  Reply with quote  

Dharini and I went to Big Bend and the McDonald Observatory. Here are a few pics from the trip.

Big Bend
Big: http://dannyweaver.us/images/589.JPG

Big Bend
Big: http://dannyweaver.us/images/598.JPG

McDonald Observatory
Big: http://dannyweaver.us/images/617.JPG

Post Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:28 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

How was the big scope? These pics are great but not what I was looking forward to seeing.

Post Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:33 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

While there, I got to see the 2.7m Harlan J. Smith Telescope and the 9.2m Hobby-Eberly Telescope. My telescope is a 20 1/3 cm Newtonian reflector on a dobsonian mount. I had trouble with my CCD getting a consistent connection to my computer due to a manufacturing defect with the solder connection on the RCA connector on the CCD. I'm uploading the pics of the HET (being upgraded to HETDEX) and the HJS telescope. I'll post them a little later.

I do have loads more pics I'd be glad to show at the next LAN. I'd post them here but having pictures of myself online causes me anxiety.

Post Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:02 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I definitely want to check those out when you are able to share. I'm in the market now for a nice small 8-12" SCT and planning to build a simple astrophotography setup. I'd also really love to look through your dob sometime.

Post Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:23 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Goahed Makemyda
Thursday Night Massacre Host

Pretty cool. Post the pics!!!!!!

Post Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:05 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

What I love about SCTs is that the eyepiece is always at the bottom, what I hate about SCTs is looking at stars directly above you. Though, I admittedly have only done that a few times for planets. I'm looking at adding a EQ mounted SCT or Refractor to my budding collection. Though I really want to build a binocular dual 12 or 14 incher on an autotracking dobsonian mount. But that is a little ways down the road.

Post Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:12 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I want to focus on photography so I need something that will EQ mount and track well. I might end up staring with a nice quality APO triplet between 66-80mm wide field but I'm concerned I won't get enough use out of something that small. I'm focusing my search for an 8-12" Meade LX90 or LX200 that is being sold by someone who doesn't know what they have. I've seen a few go through for cheap but haven't caught one yet at the right time.

Post Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:27 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

It seems we are both looking for something like that. I saw an LX90 on craigslist a few months ago, I emailed the guy and he had already sold it for $200. You can turn a dob into an eq-like mount by angling the base. I have a design I'm building today, and clear skies permitting, I'll be testing it tonight.

Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:57 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: