FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Games > Titanfall - OMGWTFBBQ Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

There may be an issue getting us all in the same game, but this is the cleanest, by far, EA release I've seen in a really really long time. And the fun level is 5 stars.

So long as they add it soon, I'm not going to gripe all that much.

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:30 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

What do you expect. It is a console port of an engine 5+ years old lol. Smile

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:04 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

Source engine isn't five years old, the last major release may have been that long ago, but the engine gets updated constantly.

And the engine has nothing to do with the limited problems the game does have, such as the lack of private matches because that's stuff that had to be removed from Source.

The game is ridiculously fun regardless.

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:39 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Well, it certainly isn't the BF4 engine either.....non destructable environments is teh ghey.

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:15 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Frostbite > Source, but both are great engines. Things like private matches probably weren't removed by the respawn guys, typically those types of features aren't included in an engine purchase. When you buy an engine like Source or Unreal, you get the engine and you have to build menus, control system, mulitplayer, etc into the game. Torque had a menu system included but it wasn't the one that Tribes2 had, it was a very basic layout editor, and all the MP features were gutted and replaced before Torque was released.

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:23 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

Brules wrote: Well, it certainly isn't the BF4 engine either.....non destructable environments is teh ghey.

You know, you're starting to overtake me in the sand department.

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:20 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Anreill

Drix wrote:
Brules wrote: Well, it certainly isn't the BF4 engine either.....non destructable environments is teh ghey.

You know, you're starting to overtake me in the sand department.

Though he's somewhat right, the scale/destruction of BF4 with the gameplay of Titanfall would be epic. As we discussed on TS the other night.

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:40 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

I know, he's just been excessive with his sandiness lately.

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:59 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ViperX
pwn3d

So how did the game work out at the LAN, was it good for you guys, should I pass on it and wait for now. Is it something you guys are going to stick to.

Post Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:53 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Menos
Broke My Labia

I thought it rocked. Definitely had a UT2k4 feel to it. We figured out a way to play two teams against each other so it got a little competitive there for a bit.

Post Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:08 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ViperX
pwn3d

Sounds awsome.

Post Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:05 am  View user's profile Send private message
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

It was definitely worth the $60 and I don't say that lightly. More often than not, 50-60 games fall short of their value point. BF is one of the only franchises that I've seen be consistent in providing that enjoyment. TitanFall easily meets that mark after only one LAN day.

Post Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:37 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Finally picked this up.

Game lobby/matching service sucks giant donkey dick.

High level titans ass fuck you at every turn.

1 cock sucker jumping on your head takes you out in 5 seconds.

Maps are stupid fucking small.

How this is a great game, I have no fucking clue.

Epic fail as a PC game - typical shit console port.

Post Mon May 26, 2014 3:39 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Matchmaking was must better during early release, or at least it didn't show its issues since everyone had much closer rank. The last few times I've played it was pretty lopsided and they need to fix it.

Rodeo'ing a Titan is a valid game mechanic that allows a player to take it out single handed. If that mechanic wasn't in the game Titans would be too powerful. There are counters available to you. The first is electric smoke that will kill a rider in a few seconds and nullifies that mechanic. One of the rocket weapons has a big splash range so you can shoot a wall and turn around to kill the rider. You can also get out and shoot them while they are riding.

The maps are supposed to be small to keep the action up. This isn't BF4.

My biggest complaint other than the lobby system is the damage from melee damage. If I was knifed I could see dying, but getting kicked should not kill me and is a broken mechanic.

Post Mon May 26, 2014 8:22 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Goahed Makemyda
Thursday Night Massacre Host

I agree with Sevnn.

Post Fri May 30, 2014 10:34 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Been playing a bit more, made it to lvl 14. Still fucking sucks that the multi lvl 50 guys can just ass rape you Titan v Titan. Big gap there in power/durability.....

If they had done this with the BF4 engine, it would have lived up to the OMGWTFBBQ statement. As is it is a decent console port, nothing more IMHO.

Post Fri May 30, 2014 11:26 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Anreill

I think Brules may actually have Drix beaten in the sand department.

There's nothing about being level 50 that makes your titan particularly powerful. The Atlas w/ 40mm is the best titan in the game overall. The Atlas is available from the start and the 40mm is unlocked at level 10. The starting chaingun is only slightly behind it in overall effectiveness. Both of these are good without any of the attachment unlocks equipped.

The starting pilot rifle is the most effective gun in the game as well. Titanfall isn't as bad about unlock balancing as CoD and Battlefield are sometimes, it's actually quite even from a statistical standpoint. Watch your killcams when you get killed by someone much higher level and you'll notice that they tend to take advantage of movement and cloak/stim/radar ping abilities much more effectively than most people going into it. I had trouble when I first started because I played it too much like a standard FPS.

That doesn't work. Titanfall is more about movement and short burst accuracy than anything else when you're on foot. Once you're in a titan it's all about proper use of cover and being as accurate as possible. When you drop the shields on an enemy titan you'll notice glowing red spots on the enemies' hull, these are weak spots. If you watch killcams you'll see that the more experienced players will focus on these, not even bothering to take potshots at anything else. They actually move around or wait for a chance to hit one of these spots because it does drastically more damage per hit.

And seriously, the console port thing is pointless. PC was the lead platform. The only thing in the entire game that has a console feel is the matching. The only reason it has a console feel is because they went with the same system for all versions of the game. Using matchmaking does indeed suck, but it's a hell of a lot better than peer to peer (Modern Warfare 2 style) when you consider that the games are hosted on a dedicated server, just not one that the community controls. According to Respawn, dedicated player hosted servers would be cost prohibitive as well. I question the validity of this one as far as PC servers, but can see the reasoning for console servers. Titanfall has approximately 50 AI actors functioning on a map at any given time, these all run on the Azure cloud servers.

If you browse around a bit on various forums (reddit.com/r/titanfall comes to mind) you'll see that there are really two issues with the matching. First, people just aren't playing the game as actively as they were at release. Second, Respawn has made a number of stupid decisions in how the matchmaking process works. For instance, North America is split up into I believe three different regions. These regions CANNOT talk to each other, so if you're in one and no games are found, you're stuck. The community has been asking for them to expand matchmaking if same region matches don't work, but supposedly this may not be possible because of the way Azure is structured. So, unlike the matchmaking in Call of Duty, if you don't find a game inside your region with your specifications then you're stuck.

As far as Sevnn's thoughts on kicking. I totally agree. The range and tracking on it are ridiculous. Personally wish they'd tone the damage, range, and tracking back drastically. I think it'd actually be pretty cool if kicks put you in a downed state similar to Last Stand in CoD for maybe 5 seconds. Leaving you vulnerable, but not instantly killing you. Unless you get kicked in the air/off a building, landing on your head from several stories up and dying seems pretty reasonable.

Post Fri May 30, 2014 2:57 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

Anreill wrote: ...Respawn has made a number of stupid decisions in how the matchmaking process works. For instance, North America is split up into I believe three different regions. These regions CANNOT talk to each other, so if you're in one and no games are found, you're stuck. The community has been asking for them to expand matchmaking if same region matches don't work, but supposedly this may not be possible because of the way Azure is structured. So, unlike the matchmaking in Call of Duty, if you don't find a game inside your region with your specifications then you're stuck.

Well, you're not really stuck. You can change the region you're connected to on the main menu screen directly after launch. Just click on the server region in the bottom right to select a different region. I was playing with players in Europe just a couple nights ago.

EDITED 6-4-2014 2241: Corrected minor grammar mistakes.

Post Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:33 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Anreill

Actually, just came across the suggestion that people start using East or West instead of Central. Apparently the central region is far less populated than the other two.

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:47 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

I will have to try that.

And kicking sucks ass.

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: