FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Hot Deals > XFX 7850 2G gfx card for $159 AR newegg + 2 Games Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

XFX 7850 2G gfx card for $159 AR newegg + 2 Games  Reply with quote  

I just couldn't pass this up as a modern replacement for my aging 8800GTX. Ordered it yesterday. Here is the linky to newegg. Its $179.99 - $20 rebate. It also includes full copies of Bioshock Inf. and Tomb Raider (2 pretty nice games)

Such a deal!

Post Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:22 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

PS> I can't wait to see what my Diablo3 and Skyrim look like with this thing! I might actually get to play at 1080p? Smile

Post Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:39 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Dude the new Tomb Raider game is freakin awesome, nice find/deal......too bad it is an AMD. Smile

Post Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:32 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brules
M F C E O

And does this mean you will be at the next LAN? Smile

Post Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:33 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

Brules wrote: And does this mean you will be at the next LAN? Smile

Seconded.

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:07 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

And here it sits. The card I spent $500 on replaced by a $160 card that kicks its ass and draws MUCHO less power.

(Pic of my old 8800GTX which has been consigned to collect dust forevermore)

Last edited by Shinare on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:56 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

As you can see (above) by it hanging over the sides of the box that the ATI came in, its also a lot bigger, heh. For another reference in size difference, in the following picture, I drew a yellow arrow pointing to plastic I taped on my case because the old card physically touched the metal HDD cage it was so long. The ATI also only uses one 6-pin power as opposed to two from my old one.

Heres the ATI in situ:

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:24 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I got close on buying this deal last night but reviews were sketchy. How has the performance been for you? Were you previously running an Nvidia card?

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:03 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

I used to have an Nvidia 8800GTX I purchased for $500 some 5 or 6 or so years ago. FYI I'm gaming at 1680x1050 resolution. (native res of my 23" monitor)

Well, since installing it, I've done two things (it was just last night it came in the mail). I downloaded and installed 3DMark11 and played some Skyrim. (well three things if you count initiating the Steam download of the two free games)

One one thing I can tell you that with the 8800GTX I was only able to play skyrim on "medium" setting and it lagged quite a bit. Also things like clothing, shadows, hair, faces, some textures all looked "off" or sometimes downright broken. I'm now able to play on "Ultra" setting and everything looks excellent, zero lag except in a couple instances last night where I'm not sure why. Not much going on the screen IMO. Every once in a while a shadow might look a little off but not sure if thats hardware or software. Admittedly Skyrim isn't a brand new game, but it seems to run a lot better on the new card. I don't think its even DX11 just from looking at it.

Watching the demos in 3DMark11 was kinda cool in my opinion. Seeing all the volumetric lighting and shadows as well as my first experience with tessellation. I have no basis to compare my score to anyone else as I've been out of the hardware scene for so long. I can say I got a GPU score of 5300 something and a CPU score of 1100 something. There was a "P" number as well, not sure if that is significant but it was like P3606 or something. All stock clocked. My "Windows 7 Experience" index for my graphics card (both scores) went from 6.6 to 7.9.

In the ATI Catilist Control Center there are overclocking options that will take it up to well over 1000MHz and I've been told it easily can handle it but currently I just have it at stock 860MHz. I've also been told that my Conroe OC'd 3.0GHz based system may be a bottleneck as well.

Once these two "Modern" games finish downloading tonight or tomorrow I'll give them a whirl.

Last edited by Shinare on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:55 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

BTW, the new card even at full bore on 3dMark11 was very quiet. It was not louder than the other fans in the computer. In fact, when doing the CPU tests I heard my CPU fan spin up but did not notice the gfx card during any of the tests. My 8800GTX on the other hand was like a small jet turbine when under full load and felt like a legit space heater blowing out the back of my PC.

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:56 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

And (yes triple post and all) one more thing. My honest first impression of the card based on the 3DMark11 run through is that its by no means a beast. In fact, I found myself wishing it was a little better at some of the demos where it only got ~18fps. But, I can't complain, and maybe I will OC it a little to see if that has any tangible effect.

But, when I bought my 8800GTX it was the fastest card available at the time and it cut through everything like butter, 3DMark included. I really felt like I had a great card when I installed it the first time. This time I feel I have a better card that is way more capable than my last one, but somehow I wish it was just a smidgeon better.

Edit: Also remember that this feeling may be attributed to the card being "CPU bound" by some degree on an old OC'd E6420.

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:41 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Just a little update. I OC'd the card to 1000MHz. Seems to be doing fine. I played some Tomb Raider this weekend on its highest graphics setting ("Ultimate" I believe) and it ran flawlessly and beautifully for hours on end. There were some things that really stood out to me graphically while playing.

1) Her hair is gorgeous! On the Ultimate setting her hair actually looks and behaves like its real hair. Very cool. Back the quality down a notch and it goes back to looking like old school plastered down fake hair wig looking.
2) Weather effects are very cool. Rain, water, cloudy/fogginess. All very cool looking.
3) Lighting effects when carrying around a lit torch. The torchlight glinting off a wet surface such as a damp cave wall was pretty convincing. Shadows moving around, very excellent.
4) Laura gets bloody/dirty/clean/wet/dry/etc depending on whats happening to her and water you go through. If she's all bloody and dirty you can jump into some water and clean her up a little. heh. Just thought that was neet.
5) My first game with tesselation and... wow. things are nicely rounded or bumpy/jagged. rust on the surface of stuff looks like I need a tetanus shot just looking at it.

I could go on, its probably all stuff you all already know. I just think its very neeto. First modern gfx card in many years so all this stuff is new to me. It just looks gorgeous. And surprisingly, no lag downs that I could notice. I can see why its a free game with this card. It runs it beautifully.

PS> Tomb Raider is a cool game to play too. I'm liking it. Not just running around killing stuff but suspenseful, creative and puzzling all at the same time. (as well as killing stuff) Not too shabby for a free game. I haven't looked at Bioshock Inf yet but will do so soon.

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:34 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Menos
Broke My Labia

So???? Now you're gonna head back to the LAN right? Since you can play all the games now right?

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:14 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

hey my desktop has a motherboard like that

P965-DS3?

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:57 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

Menos wrote: So???? Now you're gonna head back to the LAN right? Since you can play all the games now right?

Drix wrote:
Brules wrote: And does this mean you will be at the next LAN? Smile

Seconded

Yeah... so what's up with him ignoring the question, eh?

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:42 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Not ignoring, just pondering. Now that I have the horse power might be time. Smile

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:23 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

Shinare wrote: Not ignoring, just pondering. Now that I have the horse power might be time. Smile

Good. Then we look forward to seeing you there. Very Happy

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:10 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

Drix wrote:
Shinare wrote: Not ignoring, just pondering. Now that I have the horse power might be time. Smile

Good. Then we look forward to seeing you there. Very Happy

Yes, having Shinare back would be awesome.

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:06 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

LightningCrash wrote: hey my desktop has a motherboard like that

P965-DS3?

P35-DS3R old old old... Smile

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:13 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

ha i'm about to get one of those too.

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:54 pm  View user's profile Send private message

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page 1, 2  Next

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: