FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > Alienware X51?

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Ranger283
Scrotal Sack Ninja

Alienware X51?  Reply with quote  

Sigh yes yes I'm still alive... Just don't game very often anymore.... Anyways.. I'm thinking about buying an ALienware X51 the $1200 ver to replace my PC which is believe is in my sig. I thought I'd consult you all for your expert advice since I've been out of the scene for awhile and am not up to speed on current tech and prices. I want it to preform as good as or better than my current PC. Alothough I don't play PC games that often anymore currently I'm highly debating getting back into them so I want to make sure the X51 will be capable.

Thanks in advance!!!

www.speedyserving.com

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:18 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Digitaldreamer7
pwn3d

I won't give you the whole speech about blah blah blah Alienware is overpriced crap blah blah blah. If you don't have time to build it yourself and you have the money, It will totally run most of today's games well.

EDIT: Plus they typically look pretty cool.

Last edited by Digitaldreamer7 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:36 am  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

Or find a comprable off brand, like asus or some of the others that are just as good and not way over priced?

I don't know who makes such, but I know they exist. Hopefully someone will pop in to give you some ideas, or try Hard forums or Anandtech forums?

Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:48 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brules
M F C E O

Follow up, something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/MSI-Laptops-Notebooks/BrandSubCat/ID-1312-32

Read here:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1749475

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1742532

Etc.

Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:51 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Ranger283
Scrotal Sack Ninja

I'll be honest the look and size is totally what's getting my attention on this, I could build my own custom PC I have plenty of time I just really like the compactness and aesthetics of this design. My friend did introduce some competition for Alienware though check it out here http://www.ibuypower.com/Info/revolt/home.aspx looks pretty similar yet has a tone of more hardware options. It does cost a tiny bit more but I think it will be more inviting to upgrades later on. The Alienware claims its upgradable but it only has a 330w PSU and I would imagine new GPU'S could and might take more power.

What are you all opinions of running an i5 vs i7 I read somewhere that you won't even tell the difference in gaming and that the i7 is just more helpful for powerful programs.

www.speedyserving.com

Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:04 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Digitaldreamer7
pwn3d

I bought a 17in asus for about 1800 5 years ago and it still runs most modern games on med-high. It's a great little machine, it's not bad to want something aesthetically pleasing, i mean, you do have to look at it all the freaking time. Why not pay more for something that looks cool as well. I was looking at the Razer blade. LOVE the design of that machine. if I had more disposable income, i'd totally throw down on it purely for the looks. Sure it packs some good hardware I could get in another, less pretty chassis, but, I'M the one who has to look at/use the thing. Plus the switchblade UI looks awesome.

EDIT: http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blade

Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:09 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

Talk to Mike about a Sager. 405-773-6037

Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:57 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Thats a damn good idea, Sagers rock.

Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:09 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Digitaldreamer7
pwn3d

I third the sager idea as well, Someone mentioned them at one of the last two LAN's and I went to the website to check them out since i'm close to being in the market for a 14-15in laptop and they look solid.

Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:54 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Anreill

I'm the someone Razz At least for the January LAN.

Drix is the guy that has one.

Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:32 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

I really like mine. It's been real solid.

Post Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:50 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ranger283
Scrotal Sack Ninja

Eh they do seem solid but I just bought a new laptop a year ago so I'm good there. Right now I'm looking to upgrade my desktop. The revolt r770 is looking pretty feisty!

www.speedyserving.com

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:19 am  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Anreill

Have Tech Unlimited build you one if you don't want to do your own, will still be cheaper than any of the big gaming names.

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:01 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

I bought a Toshiba Qosmio laptop a few years back on sale at best buy for $1k and aside from it's weight, its been the best laptop I've ever owned. Its a DTR, fast proc, 4G mem, DT proc, great built in sound, and for the time it had a great discrete gfx card. Still runs games pretty well. My only gripe is that for $1k I wish it had an IPS panel but oh well. Maybe the newer ones do. This was several (like 4) years ago...

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:56 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Ranger283
Scrotal Sack Ninja

Well I'm pretty set on getting one of these revolts They're priced pretty fairly and they pack a punch for their size.... Anyone interested in buying my current PC PM me.

www.speedyserving.com

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:58 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Destrokk
Sand Filter

i7 vs i5: Your i5 will be great for a gaming rig. The i7 will prevail in multi-tasking or CPU intensive programs. I am assuming you are talking Ivybridge which is going to result in a bit more heat off your CPU. (just in case you're worried about that kind of stuff)

iBuyPower is decently priced and gives plenty of customization options with a warranty.
DigitalStorm is generally revered a bit higher in terms of pre-built customs.

I've dealt with Alienware in the past, before they were bought out iirc. If you do go the Alienware route, I hope their CSR has improved. It was a nightmare when I dealt with them. Other than that, people will just laugh at you because it will appear as though you have more money than brains (not saying that's the case).

I may know someone that would be interested in your rig. I might even be if the price is right, but if you wouldn't mind PMing me a ballpark price so I could spread the word, I could mention it to at least 3 people I know of who are looking to buy new rigs in the very near future.

Post Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:18 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Norrec69
Sand Filter

I have the i5 x51. Its easier to upgrade on compared to the Revolt. I upgraded to a Gtx 660 and its a pretty powerful gaming system now. The Revolt is good but I like the looks and design of the x51 better.

Post Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:49 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: