FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Modding > New Micro Build... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

It's a known issue with any X58 board that has a passive chipset cooler, they just get WAY too hot and it affects stability big time. The nice thing about the Rampage II Gene is that you don't have to remove the entire X58/Mosfet heatsink assembly, you can just remove the top portion on the X58 and install a better one like a Thermalright HR-05.

Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:46 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Petch
n00b

Nikola wrote: It's a known issue with any X58 board that has a passive chipset cooler, they just get WAY too hot and it affects stability big time. The nice thing about the Rampage II Gene is that you don't have to remove the entire X58/Mosfet heatsink assembly, you can just remove the top portion on the X58 and install a better one like a Thermalright HR-05.

I read about that before I picked up the board, but I really didnt think it would be that bad with no OCing.

I'll take a look at that cooler for the NB, but if I plan to use the 2nd PCI-E slot then Im SOL for the SB. I thought I read somewhere that the Thermalright HR-05 had issues with the Gene?

Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:06 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Well, HR-05 may or may not be the best choice for that motherboard it just happened to be on my mind when I typed that earlier. I have seen it used but with bigger HSFs I believe that you can't install it 100% straight as it will interfere with either the CPU HSF or the 1st PCI-E x16 slot.

That said, I think it's probably the best solution as far as removing heat goes and I have seen it used on the board, let me find a pic.

EDIT: Found them! This guy ended up mounting it at an angle but I think that there's more to be done there to make it usable. That said, I should look at newer chipset coolers as I will have the same problem you are having except far worse since I'll have two Fermi inside the box.

Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:59 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

two fermi's! Shocked I am shocked your case hasn't reached critical mass and ignited into a newborn sun at this point Very Happy

And note to self: water cool chipset when I upgrade......

Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:26 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Definitely not necessary to watercool the X58 chipset to hit good speeds. Max bought my old board and I ran 4.4ghz on air with it, but backed it down to 4.0 or 3.6 most of the time since the temp gain was enormous.

What IS necessary is active cooling though, regardless of the type.

Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:51 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Petch
n00b

In the pics, it really doesnt look like he HAD to put the cooler on an angle.. is there something Im missing?

Post Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:47 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

It looks like it would interfere with RAM slots, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that's the cooler I'm going to get for mine, I can dremel the fins to fit as I see fit. It's so close to the big coolers it looks like it will get active cooling from the 120mm fan attached to it.

http://www.svc.com/hr-05-ifx.html

Post Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:05 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Petch
n00b

Newegg got the XFX 5970's in stock last night, and I got one before they went back out of stock.

Hopefully I'll have it by the end of the week, and then all I need to do is find a new (smaller) powersupply to finish my box. Currently my powersupply is 1-2 inches too big and it doesnt allow me to put my BluRay drive in all the way. I have everything working, just my BluRay drive is hanging out a bit.

I'll get pics of the completed box today, and then Ill get new pics to show how big the card is in comparison.

I am still on the hunt for which NB and SB coolers Im going to get. I want to try to get them ordered so I can start OCing after this weekend. So far this box has been fantastic, the only lockups I had were when my memory setting were turned off of "auto" in the bios, but I never set the correct timings, etc yet. I want to test the box pre and post OCing with all the same equipment.

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:35 am  View user's profile Send private message
Petch
n00b

Here are some pics of the new system as it is today. I also included some comparison pics of the new HD Radeon 5970 to my old 8800GTS OC2 and Radeon 4850.

I still have plans to replace my NB and SB coolers and clean up some wiring before I call this system completed. Also, I'm contacting some local artists to see about getting the new FITES logo sprayed on the case.

The system is running stellar, and aside of the ridiculously hot NB, the system is running cool when Im running everything at stock speeds. After I get the new coolers I'll be running some benchmarks for the system running at all stock, and then with it OCed to see what else I can get out of this box.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

EDIT: So I had to put some text in to get the images to link, not sure why I had to do that, but thats why there is text before each image.

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:40 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Yay pictures! I really do love that case even more after seeing it in person, sexy as hell.

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:02 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

It is good looking....as shuttle cases go IMO

Post Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:15 pm  View user's profile Send private message
GeneticWeapon
Cum back to EVE!

Fucking awesome..

*edit

I think it's p. cool that we have people actively using this sub-forum now. It was really great seeing your guy's hardware @ the april lan.

Post Sat May 01, 2010 9:40 pm  View user's profile Send private message
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

LightningCrash wrote:
I tried it out in a VM, using loopback disks in /dev/shm and some real disk
You set the real disk up as --write-mostly, set up a write-intent bitmap on the SSDs and enable write-behind (which will enable write-behind only for the --write-mostly disks)
In this configuration the writes are as fast as the SSD until you hit the limit of the write-intent bitmap (however big you configured that to be in write-behind x stripe size)
Reads are almost always SSD speed because of the --write-mostly on the HDD.

Really a pretty smoking setup, it would go great with the appropriate SSDs and HDDs.

Read some blog posts on this very thing, I'll see if I can find them.

Oddly enough, while this is a great deal of wrangling in Linux and nigh impossible under Windows, there is a similar facility that is stupidly simple to use under Solaris with ZFS.

In Solaris you can add disks as disk cache. This way you can load up a server or workstation with SSDs, and have the bulk storage in the zpool be SATA or SAS HDDs. Hell you could just have a Fibre Channel card feeding to your SAN or something, it really doesn't matter.
The SSDs will automatically cache data for reads. Now this doesn't help our your write speed at all, but it does make a big difference on high op/s read loads.
For write loads you can add an SSD as something called the ZIL, which is a write logging system in between the buffers and the disk.

http://blogs.sun.com/brendan/entry/test

It will probably be 5-10 years before Windows ever has anything like this, unfortunately. Sad
Hell it will probably be 5 or more before Linux does anything.

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:57 pm  View user's profile Send private message

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: