FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Modding > Project Cobalt Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Well, it is called The Squid v2.0 right now, with further revisions coming as we find reasons to play with it. It's running off an Atmel ATmega 48p-20PU @ 18.432Mhz and this thing has some crazy potential, not to mention it's very easy and very very cheap to swap it out with a more powerful processor if you run out of power.

We have 8 fan headers on 2 seperate channels but this thing is capable of powering dozens of fans at once since it's got something like 16amps per channel. All of it is completely customizable which means the limit is really what you can think of for it to do.

The most expensive part of the whole thing was the box it was put in, so if you're wanting to customize it you can save some cash at the same time. When I get some time later I'll add some more info about it.

@Vince: If you are interested, definitely let me know what you want it to do and we can make it happen.

Post Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:18 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

The Squid v2.0 uses an Atmel ATmega48P running @ 18.4320 Mhz to interface at 9600baud through the serial port. This interface gives the computer control of 10 channels of PWM to control CCFLs, LEDs, and Fans.

CCFL inverters are controlled by six 8-bit software PWM channels giving 256 levels of intensity. Each CCFL channel can handle 1.2amps, which is about 1 to 3 inverters per channel depending on the size and number of CCFLs connected to the inverters.

LEDs are controlled by two 8-bit hardware PWM channels giving 256 levels of intensity. Each LED channel can control 12 volt and 5 volt LEDs a total of 1.2amps per channel, which is about 1200 20mA LEDs or one 5 watt LED.

Fans are controlled by two 10-bit hardware PWM channels giving 1024 levels of power. Each fan channel can handle 32amps, which is 6 to 320 fans per channel, depending on the fans power draw.

Load capacity on all of the channels is just a matter of what MOSFETs are used. It would be easy to add more amperage per channel. Adding more channels is as easy as adding another chip to the perf board.

Post Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:32 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

hmmm definitely looking interested.....I'll see how my build goes with the old lightbus contoller i have http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews05/lightbus/index.php?file=1 but will prob make an upgrade to this in the near future.... Very Happy

Post Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:17 am  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

Fucking wow. I love it. I really love how thw wire managment is done. +billion for no wires seen!

Post Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:20 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

I hadn't seen that fan controller you just linked before. It actually looks pretty promising. My only issue is I'm too anal about what any device will look like on the front panel of my PC so I can never decide on a fan controller or anything else unless I can hide it.

Post Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:57 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

yeah its an old one....was in the original comp I built in 2003....It works pretty good....

I got the black faced one.....only trouble is that it has blue LED's.....something I will be changing Very Happy

Post Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:16 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Took some rough video of the manual fading and a couple of timed animations we put together. The flickering you see in the video isn't visible with your eyes, that's just the camera picking up the wrong frame while the PWM is turning them off Embarassed

I just ran them all through Handbrake so I think the biggest file is 14.3mb. GO GO WATCH!

http://guitarslingerchris.com/video/CCFL/Manual%20Control.mp4

http://guitarslingerchris.com/video/CCFL/ANI1.mp4

http://guitarslingerchris.com/video/CCFL/TEST.mp4

Post Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:57 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

Well since my lightbus decided to blow up I am looking for a new light controller....got any suggestions Nikola Very Happy

Post Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:41 am  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Mmm, you never know.

Post Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:17 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

Leave it dead so I can stop having epileptic seizures at LAN parties?

Post Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:58 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

Anreill wrote: Leave it dead so I can stop having epileptic seizures at LAN parties?

I'm With Stupid
I second the motion.

Post Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:54 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

The LAN is against you Vince.

Post Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:37 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

Ouch....You guys are no fun Very Happy

Post Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:29 pm  View user's profile Send private message
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

i vote for Vince

Post Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:32 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

It's that time again, UPGRADE TIME! Not really... kind of. More like... SIDEGRADE TIME!

Anyhow, I'm going to sell off my Core 2 Quad cpu/ram/mobo and I will be moving my Core i7 rig into Cobalt. It would just look silly having an mATX mobo in such a big case so I just ordered an MSI Big Bang Xpower from Newegg and hopefully it will be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

I really wanted to go for the EVGA 4-way SLI Classified board but I don't have the time to be modifying my case before the Intel LAN Fest Colorado this coming weekend. I also considered waiting out the new E770 Classified board that is coming out soon, but I am too impatient.

I will have to revisit my fan/light software controller as it seems that NONE of the X58 boards come with a serial port and that creates an issue for a microcontroller that gets all of it's instructions via serial! Stay tuned!

Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:04 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Ordered a few things from Jab-Tech on Monday morning and they arrived early this morning. Have to love having a local online shop this close for those tight timelines.

1x XSPC Rasa Black Acetal Waterblock
4x Bitspower Matte Black G1/4" thread 1/2" Barb Fitting
8x Black Plastic Tubing Clamp - Large

I needed either a new mounting kit for my Swiftech Apogee GT, since I sold my Apogee XT Extreme Sad, or a new waterblock and I couldn't pass this one up. It's got extremely good performance and at only $50 it's easily one of the most affordable waterblocks out there. Also does not hurt that it's a nice matte black which works wonderfully for my color scheme and looks FANTASTIC with the new black barbs I bought for it. It's not flashy at all, but that's precisely the point!

Here you can kind of see the micro-fins that have now become commonplace on all of the high-end waterblocks. I believe it was Heatkiller that pioneered it and then copied first by Swiftech with the Apogee XT Extreme; it pushes the boundaries of what traditional CNC machines can produce on these blocks without A LOT of manufacturing defects.

Not the most perfectly polished surface I have seen, but it will more than suffice until I decide to lap my CPU.

Finally, here's my BEAST of a radiator that has been lying dormant for far too long, the Feser X-Changer Triple 120mm Xtreme Performance RAWR! I'm going to swap the puny Swiftech 3x120mm radiator that's currently installed in Cobalt with this beast. Just looking at this thing gives me wood, no lie.

Tomorrow will be a very busy day. I have to tear down Zero-Point and Cobalt so that I can swap parts once my new motherboard arrives. Somewhere in there I also have to drain the coolant loop so that I can remove my northbridge block and swap the Rad and CPU block. Once all of that is done, it's going to be a lot of fun running all of the wiring again from scratch Rolling Eyes but such is the way it goes for people stupid enough to change gear this often like I do.

Still though, I cannot wait to see how this board looks in the case! Laughing

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:24 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
LightningCrash

sweet jesus that's a lot of x16 slots

fill those up with RAID controllers and you could have a smoking SSD array Wink

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:27 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

That's the plan eventually. This will one day have my old ATI HD 3850 in slot 1 and SIX x8 PCI-E RAID controllers. Makes me hard just thinking about it... asdf;lkjasfd;ljk

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:09 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
LightningCrash

It's a shame that Windows 7 has crappy disk I/O though.
If you had something like Delayed Allocation.... unf unf unf

Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:46 am  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Yesterday was somewhat hectic and it was very long. I am mostly done however. Yanking stuff out of both cases was easy enough but when it came time to drain the coolant and then swap radiators things slowed to a crawl. It's just painful having to guess where to put 12 different screws blindly while trying to keep 3 fans and rubber gaskets situated nice and still.

Anyways, got it all taken care of thanks to some help from Vapor and now I have a fully functional PC again!

I really think I should learn how to use a camera and get better lighting. Aside from that, I'm very happy with the system right now. It's performing beautifully and actually put up stock 3DMark Vantage numbers over 2k higher than the previous incarnation. All I have left to do before the LAN is to replace a busted SATA cable on one of my 1.5tb drives and install my new 2.0tb drive that WD was kind enough to send me as a replacement for a busted 1.5tb. Oh, and make a special adapter to power my cathodes and LED since I can't use The Squid Sad

I'm taking my dad's good camera with Vapor and I to Colorado so expect some pics of the LAN when we get back!

Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:09 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page Previous  1, 2

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: