FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Politics & Religion > McCain-Feingold Finance Law Struck Down

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
The.Real.Cast
Obama Lemming Looking for the Cliff

McCain-Feingold Finance Law Struck Down  Reply with quote  

“If the First Amendment has any force,” Justice Anthony M. Kennedy wrote for the majority, which included the four members of its conservative wing, “it prohibits Congress from fining or jailing citizens, or associations of citizens, for simply engaging in political speech.”

I'm a strong supporter of freedom of speech, even when I don't like what the other person is saying. That being said, I do not agree that corporations should be considered associations of citizens, particularly when it comes to campaign contributions.

So the conservative SCJ's have managed to make it look like they are protecting free speech, while rubber-stamping their approval of corruption of public officials. Maybe we should all start voting for our favorite companies instead of our honest beliefs.

Post Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:44 pm  View user's profile Send private message
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

Corporations already donate however they want.

On the upside, they will now have reason to be lazy and you'll see only Goldman Sachs on Obama's campaign donations sheet instead the cabal of people they funneled it through previously.

Post Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:44 pm  View user's profile Send private message

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: