FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Modding > My Server Rack - Work in progress (56k beware) Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

My Server Rack - Work in progress (56k beware)  Reply with quote  

As per the requests here are pictures and such for my Rack Server Deployment. The object of this is to locate all my Networking, support systems, Storage and servers into one cabinet. As it stands now I have modems and routers and comps all over the place. Hopefully when deployed it will clean everything up and take less room. Plus its just cool to mess around with this stuff! Very Happy

I put out a want add on Craigslist. Was able to pick up this 36u rack for 40 bucks Shocked. Needs a little cleaning up but overall for the price I can't complain.

I only have a NAS and Keyboard tray mounted right now as that was all the cage nuts and screws I got with the Rack so will have to order some more.

Monitor mount to go with the Keyboard tray. Will be putting in a KVM switch for direct interface with the Servers.

The monitor mount was originally made for CRT monitors. But with a little Rigging and playing around it holds a 15in HP LCD i had sitting around for my testbeds....
(Don't mind my cat he is just a retard ) Rolling Eyes

Spare chassis may put a dual p3 system that I have laying around into it.

The main beast. Its a dual Xeon 2.4ghz system with a four disk SCSI 10k 73GB Array.
Has four gigs of ECC memory and a redundant PSU. Not too fast by today's server standards but will handle anything I can throw at it.

Sorry for the horrible Photoshop skills but just a quick mock up of my current plan for the rack. It's going to be massive overkill but most hobbies/insanities are....

It's kind of on hold for the holidays. But as soon as things settle down in January or so I will be completing it and will post updates.... Very Happy

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:26 am  View user's profile Send private message
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

You should get an engenious wireless AP. Myself, or Goahead can sell you one.

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:21 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

Engenius/Senao equipment is awesome.

Good score on the rack!

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:34 am  View user's profile Send private message
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

My wallet and power bill says "Ouch!"

Lookin good, and I also say good score on that rack!

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:36 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

Right now I have a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless G that I loaded with dd-wrt custom firmware and made into an "Access Point". It works pretty good for me but I may entertain upgrading... Very Happy

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:44 pm  View user's profile Send private message
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

Well had to order a case for a friend so while I was at it I ordered some cage nuts and this little beauty...

Its a 1800 Joule Surge strip....

The rear has some nice spaced outlets for power bricks....

Mounted the monitor....it looks badass in an antiquated sort of way. Also pictured is a cable modem and my 2tb NAS.

Another shot of the monitor....You can see the surge strip mounted in the middle rear of the rack. I decided that would be an easier place for power distribution.

My atom "Router" and temporary switch. And yes I know...messy wires. The next step on the list is cable management, and lots of it!

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:21 pm  View user's profile Send private message
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Ill sell you a 3u rackmount case for $20. No psu.

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:39 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

hmmm....I am actually looking for a 3u for the linux box as I have decided to mount all the comps (Besides the main one of course).

Pics?

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:44 pm  View user's profile Send private message
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

I'm picking up a few tomorrow. I'll post pics then.

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:56 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

works for me....

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:14 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Bobacus
Gov. Surplus FTW!

Nice, Out of curiosity, what are you running on the atom box for the router? I just tried to install untangle on my atom 330, and the install seems to have failed, underpowered I guess.

Also, I might have found a temporary source for some affordable Smart-UPS 1400VA Rackmountable units, send me a pm if you would be interested.

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:14 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Stealth
I Read Insults for Dummies & Still Fail.

try pfSense

Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:21 am  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

Hmmm....from what I read on untangle it should work fine on the atom for semi-light duty...

As for my atom, its just running Server 2003 with RRAS, DNS and DHCP. I also have my utorrent and a vent server running on the second core. Its been running essentially 24/7 for about 9 months now and has never given me any problems.

I may add a pfSense or Untangle box in the future but for now my setup is working beautifully....

p.s. PM sent

Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 am  View user's profile Send private message
LightningCrash

I gave away a 4U rack chassis to a guy at work who was about to get a rack. He never purchased a rack, so I'll see if he feels like selling his 4U chassis.

Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:51 am  View user's profile Send private message
Menos
Broke My Labia

Quick question. Where exactly did you get that rack? The reason I ask is that it looks like it has a Department of Transportation inventory control sticker on it. The only way hardware like that gets disposed is through equipment surplus. They are supposed to remove the inventory stickers before the item goes out the door.

Things that make you go.... hrmmmm......

Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:23 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

what? this sticker?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that was interesting....I almost removed it when I was cleaning the cabinet up but decided to leave it in place. One of the other stickers placed the cabinet circa 1997. The
guy I picked it up from seemed completely legit and he had a hell of a warehouse full of random computer stuff....so I dunno....shit happens.

I gave away a 4U rack chassis to a guy at work who was about to get a rack. He never purchased a rack, so I'll see if he feels like selling his 4U chassis.

And yes I am looking for a 4u chassis Very Happy

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:56 am  View user's profile Send private message
LightningCrash

Well you know it has to be old to be a DEC rack.
After all, Compaq bought them in 1998.

I'll send that dude an email and see what he wants for it. It's beige just like your rack.

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:23 am  View user's profile Send private message
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

I've got a bunch of stuff I got through surplus that still has various government agency inventory stickers on em.

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:47 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
blu
Step on my cubes.

I've seen thousands of those FAA inventory stickers, but they are all still on FAA equipment.

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:49 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Stealth
I Read Insults for Dummies & Still Fail.

i have some equipment with college and votech stickers

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:28 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page 1, 2  Next

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: