FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Modding > Subtlety Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Color scheme for the outside panels/bezel
Flat black with "subtlety" in glossy black
88%
 88%  [ 8 ]
Glossy black with "subtlety" in flat black
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

Nikola wrote: Shitty day update:

I will go ahead and complete my secondary machine since the parts are already either in the mail or laying about my apartment. Subtlety on the other hand will probably be put on ice for awhile since I just got laid off about 10 minutes ago.

I don't really have the cash right now to move back to OK, but if anyone has a line on any kind of jobs in the PC industry I'm looking. I was a web developer here in Fort Collins, but after the IT Admin decided to steal I took over that job too for the past year and a half, working with Macs + PCs, X-Serves and Server 2k/2k3 machines, etc.

If you have .NET experience, DHS here in OKC is looking for people. There's a good crew there too, most of them used to work at the Tax Commission.

If you end up somewhere common, you could carpool with people. A bunch of DHS guys are from Norman or Edmond.

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:49 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Unfortunately I was dipping my toes into .NET recently, but haven't gotten very far. I used to do VB back in the day, but that's been 6 years ago in high school now. My strengths are in Flash/JS/PHP/AJAX/etc.

I'm not entirely sure I want to continue as a programmer/developer, I started developing for the iPhone earlier this year and I'm not really a fan of Objective C. I may get back into networking, but whatever I can actually get paid to do is what I'll do for the time being.

I might steal a Mac from my office before I leave on Friday and crank out some crappy ad-supported iPhone apps to try and get some extra revenue coming in, we'll see.

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:01 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
LightningCrash

indeed.com, have a job by the end of the week

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:12 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Yay, new stuff came in the mail to make me feel less sad.

New motherboard & mosfet heatsink.

An undressed shot of the new mobo

This is the Enzotech MST-81 Mosfet heatsink. Since the board has the Northbridge and Mosfet cooler sharing a heatpipe, I needed this so I can watercool the Northbridge. I have heard very good things about Enzotech's little heatsinks even though they look very simple.

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:05 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Took a an hour or so to tear down my secondary and drain the loop and well... tear it down.

Here's a shot of the rig mostly naked.

Here's a shot of the mesh PCI slot covers I got. I love these things, they're a tad on the expensive side for what they are, but they look great, and extra airflow never hurt.

And finally, here's the new board all setup with the waterblocks and Enzotech Mosfet heatsink.

Just need my tubing to arrive tomorrow and fun times can be had!

Post Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:40 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

My new tubing was waiting for me when I got home from work so I got to work. After a few hours of effort to make sure all the tubing was straight, hose clamps tightened down, wiring all hidden. I plugged it in, powered it up, gave it a quick OC test before even installing an OS and it booted right up at 3.8ghz Laughing I'm hoping to hit 4ghz with this thing after some burn-in time but we'll see.

Here's the innards mostly tidied up, I ran out of zip ties early in so I still need to tie everything to the back of the motherboard.

Night shot, thank the 2.5 exposure time on my camera for the blurriness.

Again, blurriness, but not so bad.

Back of my desk where this thing hides behind my 3007WFP-HC.

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:13 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

That looks extremely good man. Kudos on all your hard work and effort. Love the UV tubes. Surely you aren't leaving the front like that... Wink

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:19 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Thanks for the compliments. Yeah, the front panel is laying on the floor right now with the other side panel. I need to paint the faceplates for the front panel still and buy more zip ties to get the wires behind the mobo tray in check. Then i think it'll actually be done for awhile. Smile

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
LightningCrash

strong doggie tennis ball. i have those for my schitzu

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:28 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

I couldn't sleep tonight and so of course instead of doing something quiet I busted out the dremel and went to work on a new idea for the front panel of my secondary.

You can see my rough pencil sketches on the panel just so i would cut the right parts out. The plan is to cut the penciled parts out, sand and file it straight and smooth, and then put some of my modder's mesh behind it painted red.

Of course if this ends up looking like crap then I'll just cut more of it out and either come up with another design or just cut my losses and have some really big meshed holes in the front.

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:04 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Cool

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:10 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

R.I.P. My Dremel, aka "Jim" Sad

I don't think you can really see the smoke in the pic, but he burned up on me before I was even halfway done tonight. This is the exact reason I bought the Home Depot warranty on this though, so I can take it right to the store when they open and get it replaced.

EDIT: Home Depot opened at 6am and I was there shortly after and got my new dremel and the flexible shaft attachment which I was told is pretty pro. Apparently I was keeping my roommate up since about 3:30am this morning though so I'll have to wait to make more progress until this afternoon probably.

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:37 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

My roomate Kevin keeps coming into my room at night and walks around on my bed.

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:27 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Sounds kinda sexy...

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:00 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Well I scrapped the design idea, I couldn't stand the honeycomb look that the holes added to the design and I didn't feel like grabbing bondo to fill in 100 of them individually since I'd need to be a little bit clean about it.

Twenty notebook pages later I decided to just cut the whole piece out into one big grill and have my sister freehand a design of some sort onto the mesh grill (it may end up just being more EVH style stripes, but we'll see). Anyways, here are pics showing my current progress, with the faceplate ready for paint (again), and the mesh cut to size and ready for it's first coat of primer.

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:35 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Well, I'm pretty busy today between working on this PC and trying to pack up and move. I'm going to the Friday Night Frag Fest in Denver tomorrow though, so I'm trying to finish up the last things on Server so I can enter the Case Mod competition and hopefully win.

You can see here the nice stealth look to the front of the case which is quite a contrast to the rat's nest I'm about to tackle on the backside of the motherboard. Once I get those wires tidied up I'll just be missing the final piece.

My sister is currently free-handing some EVH style stripes onto the mesh grill, so once that is done I just need to epoxy that onto the front panel. EDIT: Just got my sister to snap a quick pic of what she did. So this is my new grill with the big honkin' white stripe across the middle, though she assures me it's at an angle and looks better in person Smile

Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:33 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Well I received the mesh grill this morning and she was right, I think it looks great. The only problem is after placing it into position for a test I just really don't like the effect on the front of the case. I think I'll cut another big piece out of the mesh and keep it black for the stealth look.

Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:03 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Here's the back of the grill, letting the epoxy finish setting.

And here's the front panel on with the new black grill. I really like the stealth look although it occurs to me that this looks a bit less radical than the rest of the case.

Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:29 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
blu
Step on my cubes.

You should replace those white fans with black fans with the black grill.

Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:57 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

I really like the look of them tbh, but the rest of the case doesn't have white anywhere so you're right that it doesn't really fit. Unfortunately those are damn near silent and that's more important to me now with multiple machines running in the same room and I don't have the cash to replace them with some Scythe or Yate Loons which would be black.

We'll see how it goes, I may spend $4 on a 4" red cathode and mount it above the mesh. Will have to find a way to mute the glow though.

Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:08 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: