FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Modding > Subtlety Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Color scheme for the outside panels/bezel
Flat black with "subtlety" in glossy black
88%
 88%  [ 8 ]
Glossy black with "subtlety" in flat black
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Shinare wrote: However, if you care about the plumbing in your house, you won't do that too often.

I care about the plumbing in my head more, and that was pretty hard on it. I was not functioning properly the whole time I was breathing those fumes Rolling Eyes

Anyways, moar pics...

I spent a little bit assembling more of the case since my black rivets and new case feet and thumbscrews arrived, and then decided it was time to do a tubing mock-up and leak test. I had forgotten how much fun it is dangling my case at every angle possible trying to work out air bubbles. Smile

Post Tue May 05, 2009 2:06 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Lookin sweet,l hope it still looks that clean after all the cables and power supply go it. Looks really nice. Kudos!

Post Tue May 05, 2009 9:48 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Agreed, paint turned out nice! You going to light the inside?

WOuld be cool if you could put some type of fluid in that reflects light or has reflective particles in it so you could see it moving. That would be teh neato!

Post Tue May 05, 2009 11:26 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Nah, you dont wan particles in your water cloggin up the very fine fins in your water blocks. But I agree, you can get some blacklight reactive dye to put in there and then put a couple blacklight CFL's in there. That look has always turned me on when looking at water cooled setups.

Post Tue May 05, 2009 12:24 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

It turns me on too, I'm touching myself right now. What are you doing?

Post Tue May 05, 2009 12:25 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

I was done 5 minutes ago man...

Post Tue May 05, 2009 12:34 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

I have the same naughty feelings about UV lit water, but I chose food dye because so far i have not personally seen a good red UV dye that doesn't look pink. If someone can find it for me, with proof it's not pink!, then I'll be all over that in a heartbeat.

My first thoughts were an 80mm red LED fan in the back, and maybe a single white CCFL to light the inside. Keep it somewhat tasteful, I'm not a large fan of lighting the entire insides of a case with color, but it depends on the case too.

EDIT: Anyone know if I used red UV dye mixed with red food coloring if it would give me the desired red w/ a good glow?

Post Tue May 05, 2009 12:52 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Your best bet would be to get some and put a little in a glass of water or something and see if it gives you the desired result prior to filling your system with it. Only you could make that determination.

Post Tue May 05, 2009 1:59 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Yeah, it works great. Smile

Post Tue May 05, 2009 2:29 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Well, I ordered some fans, some CCFLs, some mesh pci slot cover thingies and.... some UV red dye.

I picked up 2x http://www.svc.com/sp802512l-03.html for the front of the case to keep it quiet and a TT red LED fan for the back. If you were wondering, I've got a Scythe Kaze 120mm fan on the radiator, with another ready to go on the opposite side, these suckers are so damn quiet it's crazy.

Just for giggles and grins, I grabbed both a double white and double UV ccfl kit so I can try both and see how it looks.

P.S. By picked up I mean ordered them online because there's nowhere close that actually carries any type of useful stuff for nerds. Sad

Post Tue May 05, 2009 3:48 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Well, this is why I can't have nice things like computers that are finished.

My almost brand new Schecter C-1+! Found a guy on craigslist selling it for $400, talked him down to $270 and I took it home. I've been looking for another 'metal' guitar for awhile to accompany my C1-FR Hellraiser and my Les Paul just wasn't cutting it.

If any of you are familiar with this guitar you're probably thinking that the stock pickups aren't very metal, they're more bluesy, fat clean pickups and they are! My plans involve either a pair of Duncan Invaders or match my Hellraiser with EMG 81/82 active pickups to give it alot more attack and clarity through the mountains of distortion.

Ok, enough guitar, I may have a couple more pics to post later tonight if I can stop playing with my new toy but I don't promise anything.

Post Tue May 05, 2009 9:21 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

Heh, I feel you there. I just got a Dean Razor (not the Razorback, mine is more like the Vendetta), but the damn thing smelled like it had been hung on the ceiling in a cigar lounge for a year. I've been spraying the soft case down with Odoban every day, and I put dryer sheets inside the case. Maybe some day it won't smell like an ashtray and I will feel like playing it Very Happy

Post Wed May 06, 2009 5:21 am  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

LightningCrash wrote: Heh, I feel you there. I just got a Dean Razor (not the Razorback, mine is more like the Vendetta), but the damn thing smelled like it had been hung on the ceiling in a cigar lounge for a year. I've been spraying the soft case down with Odoban every day, and I put dryer sheets inside the case. Maybe some day it won't smell like an ashtray and I will feel like playing it Very Happy

Nice dude, sucks about the smell though, that would drive me absolutely nuts! I got pretty lucky with this one, it's only ~7 months old AND the the case/guitar still smell/look brand new. I used to not even touch Dean/Schector before about 2 years ago, but I'd only been playing the shitty entry models.

I'm extremely impressed with the quality of guitar Schecter puts out for the price now; I went into Guitar Center last year to walk out with a Joe Satriani Ibanez or a nice Jackson or even a PRS Custom 24 and the guitar I left with was a Schecter Hellraiser. I saved ~$900 and I got a guitar that I liked better (also the black cherry Hellraiser is GORGEOUS). Then over Christmas I came back to OK to hang out and one of my friends had gotten one of the nicer Dean Vs with a Floyd Rose and it was just... Wow! Felt as fast as a Jackson/ESP and had good tone too.

P.S. Just asked a friend about removing shitty smells from cases, he had bought a Les Paul Smartwood a few years back with the hard case smelling just like you described. He says he basically covered as much of the inside of the case as possible with baking soda and then cleaned it out after ~2 weeks. Also says he had a lingering smell in the guitar and he had to clean inside the cavity of the guitar, but there wasn't much to clean, just wiping with a wet towel.

EDIT: I didn't mean Duncan Invaders, in the post before this one, Duncan Blackouts! I have heard lots of good things about them and I'd like to have a little different sound than the EMGs in my Hellraiser.

Post Wed May 06, 2009 9:39 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

ASDF;LKJ

Well, I spent all of last night working on the old desktop. I got a used X1950 Pro for $30 shipped and when it arrived in pristine condition with the original box, manual, cds and all accessories I was pretty psyched. I installed the 2nd Scythe Kaze 120mm fan on the radiator, popped some fans in the front to sit there until my Nexus 80mm fans get here and then proceeded to go apeshit on cable management.

About 1am I got finished, super clean look, all wired zip tied behind the mobo tray, hidden as much as possible, etc. I finish wiring it up, plug it in and everything comes up fine. Boot into Windows and then about 5 minutes later I notice my machine is shutting down. I wonder why and go feel the water tubes coming off the cpu block and they're pretty damn warm.

Anyhow, I figure no big deal, I just didn't get the molex pins on the pump seated well when I was rewiring/sleeving/routing it and put the molex connector back on it. I check it, looks good, try all the open molex connectors on my PSU and no good. I grab my trusty AT psu and try it, no good. I pull the molex pins and reseat them in the connector, no go!

That's as far as I got last night before I went and passed out at 1:30. Help!

-TL:DR-
Long story short, my MCP655 won't turn on!

Post Thu May 07, 2009 11:39 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

Mmmm Schecter...

Post Thu May 07, 2009 2:13 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

\o/

Pump is revived! After some thorough cleaning and some highly technical "fiddling" it is alive!

Post Thu May 07, 2009 9:32 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

More stuff arrived today after I had to drive down to Loveland to retrieve it from UPS' hub there. Got my new Nexus silent fans, a red LED TT fan, swell looking black mesh PCI slot covers, the CCFLs (white and UV) and my red UV dye.

Calling the dye red would be extremely generous. It arrived in a bag, leaking purple all inside it. After I cleaned it out and put a few drops in to test and see how it reacted with my somewhat pink water. The water is now orange UV as I stopped before adding more UV or food coloring since I noticed a nice puddle on top of my X1950 Pro.

Apparently my radiator is leaking out of one of the barbs, and unfortunately it's the one place I can't get to without dismantling the whole system. I uhh... Totally didn't plan on redoing the tubing in the entire system, but I will be weekend after next. 5/8" OD is a little weak for the bends I need to make in the midtower so I'll be going to 1/2" ID - 3/4" OD Tygon so I can avoid zip ties and coolsleeves tubing wherever possible.

It's a good excuse to tear it apart so I can finish up the wire management with the CCFLs and try and figure out where to mount the lighting. Lately, I've been thinking about shooting myself in the head which would let me get the water that blood red I've been looking for, but it might clog up the waterblocks so I'm on the fence about that.

Anyhow, I'm trying to figure out how precisely 2 days straight of leak testing + another 14 hours of leak testing a few days later lead to a leaky radiator 4 days after that. While I figure that out, I get to wait for different tubing and such to rebuild the system and wait for my Duncan Blackouts to arrive so i can have those put in my new Schecter.

Post Tue May 12, 2009 12:32 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Been awhile, but it's time for another update. Still haven't finished either PC, but the Intel LAN Fest Colorado was this last weekend so I decided to knock out a couple mods on Subtlety so it was a little more complete for the LAN.

Here is how she looks now, still alot of cable management and re-sleeving to do, but for the moment it still looks pretty clean with just the 24-pin and 2 leads for the GTX 295s visible. You may also notice the big honkin' headphones on top of the case, those are my new Audio Technica ATH-A700s, and they're not the most expensive headphones I've ever owned, but they absolutely blow away every pair I've ever listened to, HIGHLY recommended. Also, Tux in the corner, gg.

Next up is a little closer shot of the front panel of the case. I have the mesh grills installed and the stock filter removed from the front fans. I didn't realize how much extra airflow this afforded me, but my temps with the side panel on dropped by about 8 degrees across the board.

Here's a closeup of the grill with a couple default photoshop sharpens thrown on to help you see the pattern of the mesh despite my camera's best attempts to hide it.

Probably my favorite part of the front panel so far, and by far the simplest to do. I stealthed my Blu-Ray drive. I had been waiting to do this mod until I had decided how best to affix the face plate to the drive, but I had picked up some special velcro from my brother in law's SWAT stash and it ended up working beautifully. This stuff holds like no other velcro I've ever dealt with, and the sticky side REALLY holds.

Post Tue May 26, 2009 10:06 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Mini-update!

Only got about 45 minutes of sleep Sunday night so I crashed as soon as I got home tonight, thus I'm up at 3:15am playing with my Vandal switches. Finally decided to test these guys and see how they look!

Pretty hard to show with my crappy camera, but the heavier gauge wire I used to wire these up makes for a pretty big mess hanging off the end of the switches. I may or may not redo it, I like the heavier gauge wire until I have to actually deal with it, so we'll see.

-------

Also, got a couple things installed in my secondary machine over the weekend. I found a sweet deal on a VisionTek HD3850 for $45 shipped w/ retail box and everything so I picked that up and replaced my X1950 Pro which I had just recieved a couple weeks ago. I also got around to installing my new fans, the super quiet Nexus fans in the front and the very very red TT 80mm in the back.

This is what I like to call an Action Shot! In other words, I somehow have my camera set to 2.5 second exposure when I turn the flash off... No idea how to fix it and I do not care enough to find out.

And finally... This is what happens when you rush your watercooling and don't make sure everything is perfect since you didn't pay extra for the Tygon/PrimoFlex tubing. You get twists and creases and all manner of terrible things that make you zip-tie the tubing until you get fed up and redo the loop. (Note: that's pink water, after I drained the loop the last time I did not add more dye to the mix, I've been waiting to redo the whole thing.)

At any rate, it's fine that the tubing is fighting me at this point. I ordered an ASUS P5Q Pro motherboard to replace my aging GA-965P-DS3, and it should arrive today. I also placed an order with Jab-Tech for some PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Red Tubing - 1/2in. ID X 3/4in. OD.

If this stuff looks in real life like it does in that picture, I think I may not have to worry about mixing and matching UV dye with food coloring. It should arrive Wednesday, so I hope to have more updates by the weekend!

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:37 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Shitty day update:

I will go ahead and complete my secondary machine since the parts are already either in the mail or laying about my apartment. Subtlety on the other hand will probably be put on ice for awhile since I just got laid off about 10 minutes ago.

I don't really have the cash right now to move back to OK, but if anyone has a line on any kind of jobs in the PC industry I'm looking. I was a web developer here in Fort Collins, but after the IT Admin decided to steal I took over that job too for the past year and a half, working with Macs + PCs, X-Serves and Server 2k/2k3 machines, etc.

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:04 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: