FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > Idea's for Security Surveillance system

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Goose
Junkie

Idea's for Security Surveillance system  Reply with quote  

People across the street had their house broken into a couple of days ago which made me think about finally getting a security camera system for the house. I know I wouldn't be happy with a box system from SAMS or any of those places so not even going to mess with it.

I have a spare server doing nothing so pretty much would need the software and camera's. Thinking IP and just get a POE switch or use injectors to power the camera's. I have looked online and I guess I have not found the correct site because most of what I find is crap systems/camera's that just confirms that someone was there doing something.

What products do yall use either business or residential? I know you get what you pay for, but figured $400-$600 per camera should be able to do what I am wanting. Open to any idea's.

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:17 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Check NewEgg and Monoprice for cheap boxed solutions. You can get DVRs with 8 outdoor cameras, IR emitters, and mobile access for the $300-400 range.

This one is 8 cameras, remote, internet viewable, motion detection, and even comes with a mouse. Add in an old LCD monitor and you are golden, $399: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881339042&IsVirtualParent=1

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:06 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

I bought fake cameras that look real, with flashing power lights even.....they would fool the shit out of me.......$20. Smile

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:25 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ViperX
pwn3d

My dad bought a fake camera for a house. Someone stole it.

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:49 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Goahed Makemyda
Thursday Night Massacre Host

I own a Lorex Edge system. It does the job and I can check it from my phone when away. You can get it in several configurations and with 4-8-or 16 cams.

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:24 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Goahed Makemyda
Thursday Night Massacre Host

Brules wrote: I bought fake cameras that look real, with flashing power lights even.....they would fool the shit out of me.......$20. Smile

By the way Brules, real cams don't EVER have flashing lights. That is the first dead giveaway that they are fake and most burglars would know that. The stupid ass that has no clue won't of course. Best idea though is to remove the batteries and stop the flashing!

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:26 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Digitaldreamer7
pwn3d

I'd been recently looking into the logitech security system, a little pricey, but expandable etc.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/video-security-systems

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:01 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Goose
Junkie

Thanks for all the info, still trying to find the right system that has the image quality that I want. Will let ya know what I come up with.

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:08 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Destrokk
Sand Filter

The guy at Sesco has a bunch of USB webcams strung throughout his store haha. In reality though, surveillance kits have come a long way in the past few years. They have become quite reasonable in price.

That NightOwl system is decent, but using a motion sensor on your surveillance is nice for saving space on your DVR, but reduces the amount of video you will get if something does happen, and it won't protect your neighbors as they won't record. I don't know how large your house is, but generally, 4 well placed cameras is plenty for the outside of your house.

Post Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:09 pm  View user's profile Send private message
blu
Step on my cubes.

I have used quite a few cameras, and nothing has come close to my vitek cameras, I can't recommend them enough. I have a few VTC-IRE30 and a VTC-IRE70 for outdoor. I use them as baby monitors, not surveillance, but same equipment.

I have never seen an IP camera that has a comparable picture on it to a good CCTV camera. I am sure they make them, but not for a reasonable price.

In my experience, a boxed system with some included cameras almost always means subpar cameras.

I recommend getting some nice cameras, like a Vitek, wiring it the old fashioned way, and buy a DVR that gives you the features you want. Most of the brands out there have decent DVRs that can support 4, 8, 16 cameras, view online, on phones, etc. If you are wanting DVR features like viewing from phones, auto uploading to FTP, etc, don't skimp on it or their claims may not turn out as well in reality as you expect. They are often too cumbersome to make use of even if they do have the features they claim.

This is a cell phone picture of my 37" LCD in my bedroom viewing my cameras via a ZMODO DVR output to an RF modulator, and ran as channel 3 throughout my house.

The top 2 are Vitek varifocal cameras (VTC-IRE30) zoomed in differently as required by the application. The bottom right one is the Vitek VTC-IRE70 zoomed in and focused as needed. The bottom left one is a pretty nice IP camera.

Edit: Here are some larger (non cell phone) shots of individual cameras displayed the same way, ZMODO DVR->RF Modulator->37" LCD (they look better in person than they do in these photos, but you get the idea):

http://www.lieseok.com/Stuph/cam1.jpg
http://www.lieseok.com/Stuph/cam4.jpg

Post Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:00 am  View user's profile Send private message
lindseynicole010
Sand Filter

Security cameras actually do one thing. Create peace of mind. How much is that importance to you? You can rest very easier and simpler knowing that if something does happen, you will know on the subject of it as well as be capable to catch the performer or criminal in their tracks. So this comes down to what type of system will you utilize. For many and more you will want a wireless security surveillance camera that you can view from wherever. There are some cool new services that permit you to check your cameras from anywhere with whichever Internet device like a laptop or even iPhone or smart phone.
Thanks& regards,
Lindsey nicole
security cameras toronto | security cameras vancouver

Post Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:10 am  View user's profile Send private message
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

Impressive bot is impressive.

Post Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:14 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Man I got suckered in to reading this entire thread till I got down to Dan's post and realized some stupid bot resurrected a thread from 4 years ago. lol

>Sad

I was going to say there are a LOT better IP cameras than thos pics would indicate. For instance, ONVIF PoE IP 2592x1944 cameras that look excellent and have crystal clear picture quality even zoomed in a ways (like watching an HD channel on your TV). Since ONVIF is an open standard you can find all kinds of DVR software that support that standard.

Post Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:16 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: