FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > The inside of a 256GB SSD

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

The inside of a 256GB SSD  Reply with quote  

I just got a chuckle out of this image but then thought about all the new M.2 SSD's coming out and thought it really shouldn't be a surprise.

Post Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:30 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Just amazing to think that my first 1GB hard drive (waaaay back in 1994) was a SCSI beast that was a double-height 5.25" drive (took up 2x 5.25" drive bays) and had to have the SCSI:ID set by jumpers and special terminators plugged into it to terminate the SCSI chain.

Post Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:56 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

WTF seriously? Thats all that is in there?? LOL

Post Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:15 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

The SSDs in my laptop are even smaller. It just blows me away.

Post Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:09 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

That is pretty impressive that it is that small. I knew they were getting them down in size and assumed it didn't need a big case anymore, but I didn't imagine that big of an empty space.

It reminds me of when I was in car audio and an install customer brought in a POS amp from the flea market. It was "rated" at 1000 watts and we knew that to be complete BS. The customer argued despite our attempts to convince him it was garbage and there was no point installing it. He argued for its size and weight, that it must be made well. I offered to open it up and he agreed so we pulled the bottom panel off of it. The case was easily 30"+ long and it weighed about 10 pounds. When we pulled the cover off, the mother board was 4" x 4" with long thin wire connecting the board to each end of the case. In the empty space to either side was lead weight bolted to the heat sink. We showed him the inside of a properly made 500 watt amp that was far more advanced and capable, and he was finally convinced. Ahhh the good ole days...

Post Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:44 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Bought my wife a $80 Kingston 256GB SSD for her aging laptop last week and it arrived on Friday. I was tempted to open it up but didn't want to loose the warranty. What I can say is that it felt so light as to feel as if it were empty. I'm almost positive that's what it's insides looked like. heh Noticeably lighter than the couple year old SSD's in my rig, and the year old SSD in my son's.

As for the upgrade to the laptop, its SO much nicer now. Best SSD improvement ever. Even after upgrading the drives in mine and my son's PC's. Dunno why....

Post Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:44 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Here's Samsung's new M.2 PCIe direct 256GB SSD. Amazeballs:

Post Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:25 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

The performance numbers possible on M.2 PCIe are holy balls. I've seen 1800-2000 MB/s in some the benchmarks. That is just insane.

Post Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:39 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

Even on older SSDs, SATA is the limiting factor. The drives are capable of much higher throughput than the interface allows.

Post Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:47 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Sevnn wrote: The performance numbers possible on M.2 PCIe are holy balls. I've seen 1800-2000 MB/s in some the benchmarks. That is just insane.

Agreed. My next build will definitely have a pcie m.2 slot and one of these (or similar but cheaper).

Post Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:48 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

I might think about it when they can do multi TB SSD's for cheap.

Post Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:13 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

One of the SSD tech companies recently released some news on a new technology related t multiple layer storage. I didn't understand how specifically it was different from Samsung's 3D NAND, but they are saying it paves the way to much higher capacity at reasonable costs. They talked about being able to go up to like 40 layers of storage. Samsung is the leader in this tech at 3 layers.

Post Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:41 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Intel?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2903772/bit-by-bit-intel-looks-to-quadruple-ssd-storage.html

Post Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:27 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: