FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > Microsoft Update KB2918614 breaks Windows Installer

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Microsoft Update KB2918614 breaks Windows Installer  Reply with quote  

I wanted to post this here just because it took a lot of effort for me to figure this problem out and I want it out on the internet for people to find if they are having the same issue I am.

BACKSTORY: I have many software packages that I install via GPO when a computer is joined to my domain. Several of which are legacy programs from about 10-12 years ago that, unfortunately, are still required. Specifically in this issue's case, WordPerfect Office 2002. When WordPerfice Office is installed on a computer every time a new user logs in it runs a small set up program using the Windows Installer service to create the user's needed profile directories for WP Office use.

PROBLEM: I start getting a couple reports from users that they are unable to launch WP office and every time they log in to the system they get a setup dialog box with a progress bar stating "Please wait while Windows Configures WordPerfect Office 2002", which never used to happen. (Actually I then correct them and say, it did happen once, the very first time you logged into a specific computer). I then need to deploy 4 new computers and notice the issue first hand when setting up after image deployment.

SOLUTION: Uninstall the following Windows Updates:
KB2918614
KB3008627
KB3000988

I thought it may be a corrupted Image I use to deploy PC's so I wasted many hours going down that road to try and figure out what files or permissions were messed up (and even starting down the road of creating a new image for deployment). After Hours and hours of searching and trying many many things I finally had a flash of inspiration that it could possibly be a Windows Update that broke the Windows Installer. I started doing research on recent Windows Updtae that had anything to do with Windows Installer. The first one I found, I uninstalled, and it fixed my problem.

Hazah!

Last edited by Shinare on Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:01 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Add

KB3008627

That caused the exact same problem.

Post Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:16 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

One thing interesting I ran into... if you have MS11-025 but haven't set the registry entry, the patch isn't applied! Joy...

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2264107

Post Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:23 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Added KB3000988 to OP (yet another update that brakes the Corel installer)

Geeze I cant wait to lose this old version of Corel WP Office. (probably never happen)

Post Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:29 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: