FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Gibberish > WANT WANT WANT! Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Brules
M F C E O

WANT WANT WANT!  Reply with quote  

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/gaming-keyboards

Anyone seen or have one of these????

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:28 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

Corsair has a RGB LED keyboard range too, believe they were actually the first one: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/gaming-keyboards/popular-gaming-keyboards/multi-color-backlit

Hell of a lot less awkward looking too. The Corsair actually uses proper Cherry MX switches, which have been around forever. Logitech had to make their own mechanical switches because Cherry's RGB switches are only available on Corsair products due to licensing agreements.

The Logitech switches may be awesome, but I already have a Cherry MX Blue keyboard and will hang onto it for the time being to see what kind of lifespan the Logitech and Razer (they had to make their own too) switches have. Cherry switches are well known for being well made and having a long lifespan.

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:34 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Oooo very cool, thanks for sharing that. Will have to look at both of them. Going to upgrabe my KB and mouse after I stick 8gb more of RAM into my PC.

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:43 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I've got the Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Red switches that I use for my gaming machine and I like it. I use a CODE keyboard at the office with Cherry MX Clear switches that I like more for software development.

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:53 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

I like soft smushy keys though.......

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:00 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

I like clicky, but I dont like $170 for a keyboard... hard to justify when there are still $15 keyboards that do the job. But I do want one, hehe

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:48 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

What are the 3 components of your computer system that you interact with the most? Your monitor, mouse, and keyboard. The internal components of your system are important, but you don't touch your hard drive, CPU, ram, video card unless you are working on the system. A cheap keyboard does get the job done, but when you type thousands of words a day, having something nicer makes my day nicer and more enjoyable. If I can spend $100 on something that I have my hands on for literally 8+ hours a day and that improvement is day in day out for years, it is well worth the $100.

FWIW: I bought my Corsair at BB using rewards points and a gift card so I was out very little pocket cash, and I bought my CODE keyboard from a coworker who loved the keyboard but couldn't transition from an ergonomic to a flat 104 format.

Between the keyboards, the CODE is more functional for normal typing, and the Corsair has a little more feature comforts. I use the CODE at work for development and the Corsair at home for gaming.

For anyone that is considering moving into a high quality mechanical keyboard, I HIGHLY recommend you pick up a Cherry MX demo board. Cooler Master makes one for $15: http://www.cmstore-usa.com/mechanical-key-switch-demo-board/. WASD makes one for the same price with a different layout: http://www.amazon.com/WASD-6-Key-Cherry-Switch-Tester/dp/B00AZQKCD4/ref=pd_cp_pc_2. These allow you to learn first hand the feel of the switches. You wouldn't think they'd be that different but they really are. The demo won't represent the full keyboard experience but might help you decide which color is best for your use. Some are very loud but give great feedback, some have less spring force or more release once they pass the catch. As I mentioned before I have clear and red, they are similar but have different sweet spots of use.

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:13 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

See I am not a fan of the hard clicky type of key switches........I dont like having to push hard to get input sent.......

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:39 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Anreill

Brules wrote: See I am not a fan of the hard clicky type of key switches........I dont like having to push hard to get input sent.......

Modern mechanical switches almost all require LESS actuation force than a membrane keyboard. Most membrane keyboards are 60-80g to actuate.

Code

Color     Actuation Force     Feedback
Red       45g                 None
Black     60g                 None
Blue      50g                 Audible Click/Tactile Bump
Brown     45g                 Tactile Bump
Clear     55g                 Tactile Bump (more pronounced than brown)

You can also install O-rings on the underside of the keycaps to reduce how far the switch throws, giving you a shorter keypress if you're prone to pushing the key all the way down. This also removes basically all noise and can be done for $5 or so.

So, other than MX Black switches, all of them actually require less pressure to press than most membrane keyboards and you can choose what kind of feedback you do or do not want. Most people prefer reds for gaming as they're quick to actuate without much force, but I personally use blues for I have no idea what reason. I just prefer them for some reason.

Shinare, you can get several models of mechanical keyboard for well under $100. My CM Quickfire was ~$60.

EDIT: And seriously, why the hell does quoting mess up an entire post's size?

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:17 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Mechanical key choices really is up to personal preference and intended use, that's why I suggested the little $15 demo keys if you are considering taking the leap. I was very hesitant to spend the money on a better keyboard for a long time but I'm very glad I did now. Recently I hooked up my old trusty Logitech Wave that I developed on for a little over a year at the office. The keys felt mushy, lifeless, and they had a lot of off axis friction that made the keyboard feel very cheap and worn out. Bought with a cheap mouse as a combo, that keyboard was north of $50 and I wore it out in a year. At that rate I am saving money after 2 years of using this CODE and I feel certain it will still feel as good then as it does now.

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:16 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Code monkeys are on break or I am sure they would fix it. Smile

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:17 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Anreill

Same here Sevnn, have a Quickfire TK and a Max Nighthawk X-7 at home and a Logi Wave at work. Typing on the Wave is terrible by comparison.

Brules, you could just try em at the next LAN. Mine has blue switches, Sevnn's has reds. Could at least get an idea of whether you'd be okay with em. These aren't the buckling springs of old.

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:40 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Yeah the K95 though gets ripped on its reviews - even the new one. Ug.

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:59 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

You are definitely welcome to try mine at the LAN if I'm there next month. If you are interested I can bring my clear keyboard from the office too and borrow my buddies demo board that has 6 different colors on it.

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:34 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

I should also mention a third and 4th option.

Brules, I use a Razer Mechanical. They make an RGB version of the one I have, as well as a "Stealth" RGB and regular versions that take a lighter touch and doesn't make the clicky-ness (it also matches the price of the corsair RBG models).
http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blackwidow-chroma-stealth
Mine has their standard switches, a.k.a. their cherryMX equivalent...Though Razer, of course, argues they're better. As for them being better, who knows. All I can say is that I really enjoy mine, and you're welcome to both take a look at it and give it a try. And every review I've seen of the Stealth edition has been good.

The forth item you might want to look into is a CherryMX keyboard with brown switches, as these seem to be what Corsair is putting in place as a quieter option to the red switches. From what I've read they do take about the same amount of press as the blue, only don't act all clickity.

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:04 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

2010 - Man listen to that old school clacker keyboard, wtf man?!

2015 - Oh man that mechanical keyboard is awesome! What switches does it have?!

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:46 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

LightningCrash wrote: 2010 - Man listen to that old school clacker keyboard, wtf man?!

2015 - Oh man that mechanical keyboard is awesome! What switches does it have?!

Thing is, LC, the older mechanical designs had a few things going for them. The newer membrane keyboards cannot respond quite as quickly (latency), handle as many key presses at the same time... and the newer, membrane keyboards suffer from something call ghosting where it can, on occasion, read a spot between keys instead of each key when several are pressed at the same time.

The mechanical, individual switch designs suffered/suffer none of that nonsense. And there is something about their responsiveness, not just speed and accuracy, but just how they feel, that I, and many others, just love.

Post Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:21 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Anreill

Ghosting is actually just a term for key rollover. Hold down too many at once or a particular combination, press another, nothing happens.

Pretty much this: http://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/antighostingexplained.mspx

Post Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:29 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

Drix wrote:
Thing is, LC, the older mechanical designs had a few things going for them. The newer membrane keyboards cannot respond quite as quickly (latency), handle as many key presses at the same time... and the newer, membrane keyboards suffer from something call ghosting where it can, on occasion, read a spot between keys instead of each key when several are pressed at the same time.

The mechanical, individual switch designs suffered/suffer none of that nonsense. And there is something about their responsiveness, not just speed and accuracy, but just how they feel, that I, and many others, just love.

Preaching to the choir here. I was just contrasting the viewpoint of this forum over time. I posted my mechanicals on here in 2010 or so and just got jokes (including the old school clacker comment).

my desk:

Post Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:02 pm  View user's profile Send private message
redivulpis
TK'er

Brules I'll bring you a real treat this LAN. Since I'm heading over directly from work anyway I'll bring by DAS with MX Browns. If nothing else just to show off Razz

Post Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:04 pm  View user's profile Send private message

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page 1, 2  Next

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: